Snow removal accident

/ Snow removal accident #91  
My guess is that he was off of it helping hook up a tow strap, the cat started moving, he tried to mount it and slipped on the tracks, falling hard onto his face & chest, and possibly was carried forward on the track and had it go over him (one or both legs).

Reminding myself to set the damn brake every time (aw cmon the tractor barely moves)
SET THE BRAKE!

/ Snow removal accident #92  
My guess is that he was off of it helping hook up a tow strap, the cat started moving, he tried to mount it and slipped on the tracks, falling hard onto his face & chest, and possibly was carried forward on the track and had it go over him (one or both legs).

Reminding myself to set the damn brake every time (aw cmon the tractor barely moves)
SET THE BRAKE!
That's what i was thinking, after seeing what one looked like.

/ Snow removal accident #93  
Why is this BREAKING NEWS ? If you , FU with machinery you will get bit . Kevin

/ Snow removal accident #94  
I’ve never known anyone to use a snowcat to clear roads. I would think they would damage them as that isn’t what they are intended for. Anyway, hope he recovers fully. I think he is quite involved with private forest fire equipment acquisition and supplies.

/ Snow removal accident #96  
To each his own;
The seat belts in my tractors that have one is the most unused piece.

/ Snow removal accident #97  
To each his own;
The seat belts in my tractors that have one is the most unused piece.
At any rate, it wouldn’t have helped in the situation being discussed.

/ Snow removal accident #99  
Well.... If he had his seatbelt on & buckled, he wouldn't have been able to get run over.

Got a point there. :unsure:

I always use my seat belt, and always set the parking brake and test it before I get off of my machine. The brakes are spring loaded pins into steel sprockets on the front wheel spindles. When they engage, the machine cannot move. So flip the lever, step on the directional pedals, hear snap-snap and both are engaged.

Unless I'm using the machine for a crane, I also always lower the implement. All of my implements are on the FEL arms out front, but when I had a conventional tractor with loader and 3pt hitch, I'd do the same and lower everything, always.

It's just a pretty easy thing to do, doesn't take but an extra 2-3 seconds, and I've made it a habit so it's almost automatic. Once in a great while, I'll still catch myself starting to get off without doing it. You have to practice safety to keep it automatic. Just like car seat belts always, and using your turn signal at all turns, even in your driveway or a parking lot.

/ Snow removal accident #100  
I'd do the same and lower everything, always.

It's just a pretty easy thing to do, doesn't take but an extra 2-3 seconds, and I've made it a habit so it's almost automatic.

Yes, this! Let alone the benefits in preventing the machine from accidentally moving, it saves strain on the hydraulics, and most importantly, prevents accidents with an unattended machine.

I once drove past a construction site after hours, noticing that the parked backhoe still had the hoe in the air. Zero prevention from kids (or me!) getting at it . I took one of my kid's old shirts from the trunk, and placed it carefully where the tooth of the hoe bucket was about to be when I lowered it. I gently let the hoe down, and relieved all the pressure, pinching the shirt to the ground in the process. Hopefully, the operator got the idea the next morning....

To my delight, my new JD1025R has a lock on the front end loader controls, so the lever can be prevented from being moved. For the very, very few times I need to get off the tractor with the loader off the ground (like to hand shovel a load out of it), I lock it in position, and apply the parking brake. Let alone my grandkids playing around the tractor, doing so prevents me bumping the lever as I get on or off the tractor.

I feel badly for Piston Bulley actor fellow, and I've had a crushing leg injury, so I get it, but people have to learn one way or the other, that the machine does not care about you, and physics will always prevail if you don't allow gravity to over come it first, or lock it out!