skidding logs

/ skidding logs #71  
If I only did things with my tractor that I know exactly how to do, I wouldn't be doing anything (for the most part)!
I do find in my old age I think and plan a lot more than I used to.

/ skidding logs
BECAUSE YOU OBVIOUSLY DONT KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING, HIRE IT DONE...BETTER THAT THAN TEARING UP YOUR TRACTOR...CHEAPER IN THE LONG RUN...
FUNNY ENOUGH, WE HAVE TONS OF SEAT TIME IN JD SKIDDERS CUTTING MACHINES AND DELIMBERS. CUTTING AND MOVING WOOD IS NOTHING NEW. WHERE THESE TREES FELL WE WOULD HAVE TO CUT A LOT OF TIMBER OR JUST RUN OVER A LOT OF SMALL STUFF. A SKIDDER WITH DUALS ON DOESN'T JUST EASE THROUGH THE WOODS. JUST LOOKING FOR AN EASIER WAY TO MOVE THESE LOGS WITHOUT TEARING UP THE TRACTOR.

I ALSO UNDERSTAND HIRING OUT LOGGING, WE HAVE A CONTRACT CREW THAT DOES NOTHING BUT LOG ON OUR LAND ALL YEAR LONG, WHEN ITS DRY A SECOND CREW ALSO WORKS ON OUR LAND. SOMETIMES YOU HAVE TO PICK THE BEST TOOL FOR THE JOB. IT WOULD NOT BE FINANCIALY BENIFICAL TO PULL THEM AND MOVE ALL OF THE CUTTERS, SKIDDERS AND DELIMBERS JUST FOR SOME BLOW DOWNS.

NOW I CAN TURN CAP LOCK OFF... Thanks to everyone else that contributed to this thread. like I said in my last post everything went smooth and all of the logs are banked up waiting to be hauled to the mill. We will probably make one more run before hunting season if it stays dry. all it takes is one 2"+ rain and we wont be getting a tractor or trailer back there until late next summer.

/ skidding logs #73  
BECAUSE YOU OBVIOUSLY DONT KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING, HIRE IT DONE...BETTER THAT THAN TEARING UP YOUR TRACTOR...CHEAPER IN THE LONG RUN...
No better way to learn, than to give it a try with the plan proposed. All that money invested in a good tractor, leaves little to "hire" it done.
At least that is how I've gone about jobs around my acres over the last 55+ years. Most of my tools and equipment are a result of tackling the jobs myself, and saving money by not hiring it done. And it is done right the way I want it done. Plus the satisfaction that I have doing the jobs.

/ skidding logs #74  
I would just use a logging choker chain and leave the log 6-10 ft behind the tractor. With that gap it will never slide into the tractor.

/ skidding logs #75  
We had several oak trees blow over this year and block trails so now I need to move them out. I was thinking of building something but then I saw this picture using a quick hitch and tongs. I have tongs so I could do this for free. any reason why I should build/buy something rather than just do this?

View attachment 821680
APPARENTLY, YOU DONT KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING OR YOU WOULDNT ASK FOR ADVICE---THE BEST ADVICE IS TO PAY SOMEONE WHO DOES THIS FOR A LIVING TO SKID THEM OUT OF THE WAY OR OUT FOR A SAWMILL TO BUY....IT WILL BE FAR CHEAPER THAN TEARING UP YOUR MACHINE, HURTING SOMEONE OR YOURSELF, OR PAYING A WRECKER TO WINCH YOUR TRACTOR OUT OF A MUDDY DITCH OR THE RIVER...A PROFESSIONAL WITH A LOG SKIDDER AND HIS OWN INSURANCE WILL HAVE THIS DONE SAFELY IN NO TIME.

/ skidding logs #76  
I use tongs and a long tow strap rated for 4,000 pounds. It helps to get them out of an area which is hard to access. Chains are fine but you need to be able to put it around the log/tree which may not be easy if in a restricted access area and laying on the ground. Tongs are fine in my case. Once pulled out I tend to cut them up into smaller pieces which can be picked up with the grapple.

/ skidding logs #77  
I've moved tons of logs around with thongs, usually just hanging from the bucket, but also made a boom attachment for my compack JD 790 tractor. You have more control from the front, stacking them, or getting them out of the way. If the tractor doesn't want to pick it, just cut them smaller.

log2.jpg

/ skidding logs #78  
We had several oak trees blow over this year and block trails so now I need to move them out. I was thinking of building something but then I saw this picture using a quick hitch and tongs. I have tongs so I could do this for free. any reason why I should build/buy something rather than just do this?

View attachment 821680
Yup. With that setup I would just want to minimize the log hitting the back of the machine. The log only needs the front to be barely lifted off the ground and not as high as that picture. Use a longer chain to distance the log away from the machine. Then maybe throw a tow bar on the quick hitch to protect the tractor and call it good.

Attachments

• IMG_20201129_132636674_HDR_edit_1696860476920.jpg
    IMG_20201129_132636674_HDR_edit_1696860476920.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 56
   / skidding logs #79  
APPARENTLY, YOU DONT KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING OR YOU WOULDNT ASK FOR ADVICE---THE BEST ADVICE IS TO PAY SOMEONE WHO DOES THIS FOR A LIVING TO SKID THEM OUT OF THE WAY OR OUT FOR A SAWMILL TO BUY....IT WILL BE FAR CHEAPER THAN TEARING UP YOUR MACHINE, HURTING SOMEONE OR YOURSELF, OR PAYING A WRECKER TO WINCH YOUR TRACTOR OUT OF A MUDDY DITCH OR THE RIVER...A PROFESSIONAL WITH A LOG SKIDDER AND HIS OWN INSURANCE WILL HAVE THIS DONE SAFELY IN NO TIME.
As an technology professional I would recommend you hit your caplock key, found on the left side of your keyboard. It's pretty obnoxious to see a post in all caps. All caps is the equivalent to YELLING.