Radiator hose "snapped"

/ Radiator hose "snapped" #1  

Omnipotent

Bronze Member
Well as the description says, was out clearing some brush and started smelling radiator fluid, checked and found this:

IMG_2791.jpeg

Closer inspection revealed this:

IMG_2792.jpeg

As you can see, the plastic part of the lower radiator, clean snapped off and is still in the hose. My guess is the only option is replace the radiator, but figure I'd check here first before buying something.

One last photo showing the broken opening on the radiator:
IMG_2793.jpeg

For the record, this is a Bobcat CT335....I don't think that matters but figured I'd throw it out there.

/ Radiator hose "snapped" #2  
My game plan would be cleaning taking the fitting out of the hose and cleaning both areas where it snapped off and glue it.

JB weld makes a good epoxy for plastic. I punched a hole in a plastic diesel can 5 years ago and used it. Still performing and frankly stronger than the plastic itself.

/ Radiator hose "snapped" #3  
You'll NEVER clean it good enough for any kind of "glue", including JB. A radiator shop may be able to "weld" it, but I doubt it. A new one is in order, I believe.

/ Radiator hose "snapped" #4  
I agree with gstrom99. It's not worth the risk of over heating your machine by having the repair give away while you are working away from the house.

/ Radiator hose "snapped" #5  
You'll NEVER clean it good enough for any kind of "glue", including JB. A radiator shop may be able to "weld" it, but I doubt it. A new one is in order, I believe.
No disrespect to City, but, this has been my experience as well. Mine would hold until I jumped off for five minutes and overheat.............

Best,

ed

/ Radiator hose "snapped" #6  
I understand the concern of an epoxy attempt to fix the radiator. Ordering a new one and keeping the old repaired one is an idea. Snapping it off again is a possibility since it's plastic.

/ Radiator hose "snapped" #8  
Is there enough meat left in the plastic to drill a clean hole and tap then thread in a brass fitting?

The other option is to take to a radiator repair shop and they may be able to remove the tank and add a bulkhead fitting in place of this connection.

/ Radiator hose "snapped"
I was thinking the tapping idea....not sure how that would work in the radiator as it "seems" to be plastic, at least at that connection point. New OEM radiator = $1000...Bobcat is crazy, but I might be stuck. I'll pull the radiator and see what I'm working with...maybe a shop has some ideas then again, need to find a radiator shop near me, lol.

Thanks all

/ Radiator hose "snapped" #10  
Hi,
Have you checked out the thread of that nearby drainage tap?
Consider removing the tap and fitting the hose onto there. Then closing the hole where the hose snapped off with a bulkhead fitting or drilling, tapping and screwing in a plug.