Radiator hose "snapped"

/ Radiator hose "snapped" #41  
If this was my tractor I would attempt a repair. I am a recently retired machinist and still own my shop, so take that into consideration for what I write. This is close to how I would do it if I had limited tools: First make a part that will span the hole in the radiator by maybe 3/8 inch on either side of the hole. Make the part from steel or stainless steel. It would be about 1/2 inch wide and 3/8 inch thick and have a 1/4-20 tapped hole in the middle. Make another similar part that just spans the part that broke off so that it won't interefere with the hose. Drill a 1/4 inch hole through the middle of the shorter part. Clean super well the mating surfaces of the radiator and the part that broke off as well as the surrounding areas on the outside. Then use either an acrylic based two part adhesive or a urethane based two part adhesive or an adhesive recommended for the fiber reinforced plastic your radiator is made from. Apply the adhesive to the mating surfaces and use a screw to go through the part drilled 1/4" and screw it into the tapped part. This screw will clamp the parts together as well as continuing to provide support for the life of the repair. Then, using the same adhesive, saturate some fiberglass, polyester, or nylon mat or webbing and apply to the outside of the break. This will not only strengthen the joint it will also help to prevent a leak.
Before embarking on this effort buy the adhesives you think will work and try them out on the radiator tank to see how well they work. Wet some of the fiber reinforcement and stick it to the radiator. See if it can be removed easily. I did this about 10 years ago with a cracked Toyota fiber reinforced radiator. I had ordered the radiator but tried some two part adhesive I bought at a local hardware store just to see if it would hold. I used some cotton cloth as the fiber in my repair. The adhesive I bought was supposed to only be good to 180 degrees F. but I used it anyway. After more than a month I was convinced the stuff would continue work even at a temp that was higher than what the package recommended. Nevertheless I installed the new radiator because it was my wife's car. If it was my car I would have tested the repair longer. Maybe forever or until I sold the car.
Since the Toyota repair I have needed to repair some other plastic things and found out that the two part adhesives sold at the local hardware stores were of different types. Recently I had to make a nylon plastic to ABS plastic repair and used an acrylic based adhesive. It did not work. I have had acrylic two part adhesives work well in the past and don't know why the failure occurred this time. So I went back to the store and looked at the other adhesives available and found a JB WELD two part URETHANE based adhesive that worked very well. It stuck to the nylon part and the ABS part. Over a year later it is still stuck.
Of course McMaster-Carr will have better offerings than the local hardware store and they may be able to give the OP some advice. McMaster-Carr is great. They have a huge variety of stuff, all of it high quality. I have spent thousands of dollars on stuff from McMaster-Carr for my shop. But you may be able to find a suitable adhesive locally. Which would be faster and probably cheaper.
The method I describe above will of course restrict the coolant flow some and I have no idea if this will be a problem. And I don't have your radiator in hand to see how well my method of repair might work. But If I had to cough up $1000.00 plus shipping I would certainly be attempting a repair. With my machine shop I could probably come up with a method similar to what I describe above but it would probably involve making a new part that the hose fits on. I am trying to think about how I would fix you radiator with just a hacksaw, drill motor, 1/4" and #7 drill bits, and a hacksaw. And some steel scrap.
Good luck,
Eric

/ Radiator hose "snapped" #42  
Seriously consider Rapid-Fix.
I've seen auto techs and body guys perform some amazing repairs that last.
Check it out online.
Good Luck!

/ Radiator hose "snapped" #43  
My game plan would be cleaning taking the fitting out of the hose and cleaning both areas where it snapped off and glue it.

JB weld makes a good epoxy for plastic. I punched a hole in a plastic diesel can 5 years ago and used it. Still performing and frankly stronger than the plastic itself.
Just wondering if that JB Weld epoxy for plastic is called "JB Plastic Welder"? They make so many variants. I ask purely for other projects. I know times are getting tighter EVERY DAY as of late but $1,000... REALLY? I tend to agree with most about checking with a radiator shop, then a machine shop and at ALL last resorts... shell out the green. It's a gamble of REALLY doing some damage if a quick fix doesn't work.

Last edited:
   / Radiator hose "snapped" #44  
Had the bottom radiator hose burst on a Kubota HST1700. Unfortunately the shape of the bonnet panels channeled the entire contents of the radiator onto my right leg. 10 days in hospital with massive skin grafts

/ Radiator hose "snapped" #45  
Had the bottom radiator hose burst on a Kubota HST1700. Unfortunately the shape of the bonnet panels channeled the entire contents of the radiator onto my right leg. 10 days in hospital with massive skin grafts
Ouch! That's one heck of a first post.

Welcome to TBN. 🖐 🚜

/ Radiator hose "snapped" #46  
I retired after 38 years of repairing radiators, specializing in industrial and agricultural. you only have two options, if the tank is available (a lot are not} it can be replaced otherwise it's time for a new radiator. The material that the tanks are made of will not hold up to threading and I have seen more than one come in with the JB weld attempt, if you get that stuff on the rail that holds the tank on or the header that the tank sits in, then you have pretty much eliminated any chance of replacing the tank.

/ Radiator hose "snapped" #47  
If you know what type of coolant was used, it may be possible to use a CA type glue. The problem with coolant is that most contain silicone and that's why nothing will stick. It's nearly impossible to get all the silicone washed off and all it takes is a few molecules of the stuff to defeat the bond. That's the reason I wouldn't even let silicone anything into my paint shop. A single mist droplet from a lubricant spray can 100 feet away or fingerprint could destroy a $10k paint job and weeks of labor.

Nothing sticks to silicone except silicone. And I don't know any silicone adhesive up to the task. It would have been a simple fix when radiators were made of brass. The plastic radiators are a throwaway part.

/ Radiator hose "snapped" #48  
By the time an engine overheating alarm goes off - if the tractor even has one - most likely the damage is already done.

I'm sorry to say that if your broken hose caused it to overheat it doesn't much matter what type repair you do to the radiator. Might as well try something.

If it didn't overheat, then a new radiator seems like an inexpensive fix compared to the price of a tractor. BTW, that price you posted is way high.

If it were mine, I'd also look at the price of a good universal replacement radiator - but in metal this time. Old style copper and brass radiators are good for a long time. Several places online carry them for a fraction of the price of plastic ones. And they are completely repairable, too.

rScotty

/ Radiator hose "snapped" #49  
I know you tractor is a bobcat how every who makes that tractor for them ? that could be standard size rad and the bobcat markup is like a lot of the green dealer do you know the actual part number for the rad ?? do a search for that part number, have a LS here tons of parts cross with massy and new holand, just check to see may be supervised on pricing

Jeff

/ Radiator hose "snapped" #50  
Well as the description says, was out clearing some brush and started smelling radiator fluid, checked and found this:

View attachment 776543

Closer inspection revealed this:

View attachment 776544
As you can see, the plastic part of the lower radiator, clean snapped off and is still in the hose. My guess is the only option is replace the radiator, but figure I'd check here first before buying something.

One last photo showing the broken opening on the radiator:
View attachment 776545

For the record, this is a Bobcat CT335....I don't think that matters but figured I'd throw it out there.
The radiators are made out of glass reinforced HDPE and I have tried many techniques and glues to repair them to no avail. Even 3m radiator glue (I forget the exact number on the epoxy I used but it was for radiators specifically) doesn't hold very long, maybe a year. I wish there was a better answer but replace is the best and only option in my experience.