Quick Disconnects stuck

/ Quick Disconnects stuck #1  

RoyJackson

Rest in Peace
Tractor
John Deere 4052R Cab,, Deere 855D UTV, Z920A Zero Turn Mower and assorted implements
Gents,
My 430's loader (mounted on a Deere 4400) QDs are stuck tight. The slip collars will rotate, but not retract. The tractor is 10 years old, and I'm guessing the previous owner never removed the loader. I never had any need to remove it as it was late in the mowing season when I bought it. Also, I had no level spot to park it last year.
This is the third Deere I've had with a loader and the first one to give me any problems. I always pulled the loaders off for the Spring and Summer unless I had a need for it.

Already sprayed them with both PB Blaster and Fluid Film.

A Deere tech gave me one idea...to tap on the collars as I try to slide them back. That didn't work...

I'm thinking about using a couple flat bladescrew drivers to pry on them and I know that may damage the collars.

So, before I start prying, I thought I'd ask the TBN team for any ideas, experiences or alternatives. Remember, they rotate fairly easily...just won't retract.

/ Quick Disconnects stuck #2  
Pushing the collar back towards the tractor won't let them slide? That is puzzling. But am sure you will figure a way. Maybe a vise-grip and something to push agains the grips will get them to move.

Seems a block of wood, like maple or oak, could be used to tap the collar back. Better if a curve in the wood to fit around the male fitting for more contact, but just a tap or two should release the grip.

/ Quick Disconnects stuck #3  
G'day Roy check to make sure there is not a small pin that will allow the sleeves to only push down in one spot not common but i have seen it

Jon

/ Quick Disconnects stuck #4  
Jon
Not on the Deere QD's. They just slide back over the female end on the tractor side.

/ Quick Disconnects stuck
Pushing the collar back towards the tractor won't let them slide? That is puzzling. But am sure you will figure a way. Maybe a vise-grip and something to push agains the grips will get them to move.

No, they won't slide at all. It is a bit puzzling since they rotate.

I'm leery of using vicegrips since a tight enough clamp might deform the collars.
I am prepared to replace the QD's (preferably the females only)...what I don't want is to get one or two (of the four) QD's loose and the other(s) still stuck.

/ Quick Disconnects stuck #6  
Be brave :) Take the deere by the horns. ;)

/ Quick Disconnects stuck #7  
Roy, I'm sure that you know this but did you release the pressure in the lines by moving the lever to all positions several times with the machine off?

/ Quick Disconnects stuck #8  
Roy, sorry to say but your balls are rusty.

Sliding the collar back lets the little ball bearings retract so the male tip can be pulled out. I can only suggest you keep soaking them with the PB Blaster and hopefully they will free up.

Last edited:
   / Quick Disconnects stuck #10  
Roy, sorry to say but your balls are rusty.

Sliding the collar back lets the little ball bearing retract so the male tip can be pulled out. I can only suggest you keep soaking them with the PB Blaster and hopefully they will free up.

:laughing::laughing::thumbsup:
I believe he is right Roy, I have had this happen with air hose couplers in my detail bay. They are exposed to moisture everyday. I'll bet if they were leaking a little that wouldn't have happened!