PTO generator selection help

/ PTO generator selection help
Thanks everyone for the input. Back to Lou's list:

The normal acceptably method of powering your house with a pto generator generally would be as follows;
1) switch your transfer panel from utility to generator
2) connect your tractor to your generator
3) check that the generators main breaker is off
4) engage your pto and start rotating your generator
5) monitor the Hz reading and voltage reading from your generator, looking for 60Hz and close to 240Volts
6) while it stabilizes shut down all circuits in your main panel you don't want to energize, keeping in mind the max power you can generate
7) close your generator main breaker
8) you have now loaded your generator
9) you now need to verify your Hz and voltage adjusting your tractor throttle as necessary.
10) as your load changes you may see some variation in Hz or volts and it may require throttle changes depending on your tractor and the load.
11) if you overload your tractor you will see that the Hz and volts will be going lower and your tractor does not have the power to bring the rpm back up

I'm confused by step 3) and step 7). Would step 7) be "turn on the breaker in the house for the generator"?

/ PTO generator selection help #12  
My PTO generator has a main breaker on it, that I leave off until I have everything set the way I want it in the house.

That's the last thing I flip on...

SR

/ PTO generator selection help #13  
Thanks everyone for the input. Back to Lou's list:

I'm confused by step 3) and step 7). Would step 7) be "turn on the breaker in the house for the generator"?

No that is covered by step 1;
switch your transfer panel from utility to generator which could be amended to include or switch your interlock from utility to generator

/ PTO generator selection help #14  
I've thought about a PTO generator in the past on the idea I have always have a few tractors, they run, and I have an abundance of fuel for it. However I've also been of the opinion that while I do store diesel fuel in bulk I only have one diesel tractor AND if a weather system created a need for a generator then most likely it also created a need for that tractor to clear storm debris or snow, at which point I would probably need the tractor while it is needed elsewhere.

The other tractor is gasoline powered and I don't keep very much fuel for it around.

/ PTO generator selection help #15  
I've thought about a PTO generator in the past on the idea I have always have a few tractors, they run, and I have an abundance of fuel for it. However I've also been of the opinion that while I do store diesel fuel in bulk I only have one diesel tractor AND if a weather system created a need for a generator then most likely it also created a need for that tractor to clear storm debris or snow, at which point I would probably need the tractor while it is needed elsewhere.

The other tractor is gasoline powered and I don't keep very much fuel for it around.

I've considered a PTO generator and had the same concern. But then I think could share the duties of the tractor between power & cleanup duties throughout the day and use the generator full time at night for the house if needed. No snow here, mostly hurricane remnants and tropical storms.

/ PTO generator selection help #16  
I use mine for both. The gen doesn't need to run constantly. It takes 5 mins to hook up.

/ PTO generator selection help #17  
On my list of best things I've ever bought the gen is on there with the Polaris Ranger, 20 foot Frontier finishing mower, tractor and pickup truck I own now. No particular order unless the power is out and then the gen is #1. I think I paid $1100 for it, 25 kW.

I bought this house 3 yrs ago and there is a main panel that feeds the well pump shed, sun room and another breaker panel (that used to be the main panel before the previous owners added a sun room).

Main_breaker_panel_C.jpg

The other breaker panel (that use to be the main panel) is located in the laundry room and I have a spare double pole breaker that I could use. My thought is to put a 50 amp double pole breaker in the spare spot and then install the 14-50R receptacle panel on the outside of the house by the laundry room and wire that straight to the 50 amp breaker.

When I need to use the generator I shut the main power switch off at the main breaker panel and at the breaker panel in the laundry room, fire up the generator and then open the generator main breaker.

/ PTO generator selection help #20  
I'm partial to the Winco. That's what I have.