Protecting top on a new welding table

/ Protecting top on a new welding table #1  

YanmarFever

Elite Member
Tractor
Mahindra 5010C- Branson 4520r- 5520C- Yanmar FX235-D - Bad Boy rogue mower
Im putting together a 4'x'8'x1/2 table with 4"x4" legs to do a few projects.
What is the best liquid, wax, or polish to keep it from rusting? This is my third table this size and the previous ones never rusted because I lived in a state that rust wasnt a problem.
However, now I live 10 miles from the ocean and rust has become a problem.

The other tables I would just spray them with spatter spray, wipe them down and call it good. Also I used them for 8 -12 hrs 6 days a week, which was probably the best thing I could of done.

Now that I'm retired I wont be using it as much, sooo are there any suggestions for keeping the rust off?
No oil, it transfers to your project then its a pain to paint later.

I will post pictures later... :D

/ Protecting top on a new welding table #2  
following for the replies but Maybe black stove polish. seems to work in high heat applications but may make a mess on projects and no idea if it affects welds or paint after

/ Protecting top on a new welding table
You would think that there is some kind of wax that would do it...

/ Protecting top on a new welding table #5  
I wonder if slickcote or glidecote would work??

I always just wipe mine down with Amsoil MP

amp-sc.jpg

/ Protecting top on a new welding table #6  
Mine get greasy and oily from use but when they do get rust or grime I just clean them with the side grinder before I use them for welding.

/ Protecting top on a new welding table #8  
Buy some cheap vinyl (disposable) table cloths...covering the table will greatly cut down on the rust...they are only a couple bucks...maybe even cheaper at the dollar stores...
Running a dehumidifier when there is high humidity will make a big difference...

/ Protecting top on a new welding table #10  
My is made from what I assume is mild steel, 1" thick. I built it 12 years ago. Only way it tries to rust is when I get stupid and sit an iced drink on it and forget. 3-4 times a year I spray it with PB Blaster and wipe it down just because my conscience bothers me that I'm neglecting it.

I weld on mine a lot so a paint coat wouldn't work for me. I expect to clamp the welder ground to the table, throw something on it, and start welding.