Protecting top on a new welding table

/ Protecting top on a new welding table #11  
Occasionally a little Fluid Film and wiped off almost dry.
My son has had ours outside for a project hes been working on and very little surface rust even after a week.

/ Protecting top on a new welding table
Im thinking I might try hand rubbing some light oil on it, if that doesn't work I will try the wax method.
I went over it with a wire wheel for 1/2 hr and it looks beautiful, I just want to keep it that way.
I painted the bottom and legs with rustoleum, all I had at the time was RED but who cares, its for welding
Thank You kindly for the Ideas

/ Protecting top on a new welding table #13  
Im thinking I might try hand rubbing some light oil on it, if that doesn't work I will try the wax method.
I went over it with a wire wheel for 1/2 hr and it looks beautiful, I just want to keep it that way.
I painted the bottom and legs with rustoleum, all I had at the time was RED but who cares, its for welding
Mine is Kubota orange

/ Protecting top on a new welding table #14  
Morris, I have about 100 Velcro Scotch Brite pads like that and they work real good. In fact I used one to clean up the table after the wire cup on the grinder.
Thank You for the info.

/ Protecting top on a new welding table #16  
My is made from what I assume is mild steel, 1" thick. I built it 12 years ago. Only way it tries to rust is when I get stupid and sit an iced drink on it and forget. 3-4 times a year I spray it with PB Blaster and wipe it down just because my conscience bothers me that I'm neglecting it. I weld on mine a lot so a paint coat wouldn't work for me. I expect to clamp the welder ground to the table, throw something on it, and start welding.
If you don’t want oil on your projects, you probably don’t want other stuff transferring from the table top to your projects either.

I have found these very handy for removing surface rust (and other stuff) without altering the metal underneath.

I have an old school table saw with a cast iron surface. What I have done to years to remove light surface rust and protect it is to use fine steel wool and a good paste wax to scrub and clean the surface. Then buff the wax with a cloth. This not only cleans and protects, but it also helps the wood to glide better on the table as it’s being pushed. Use a paste wax that is heavy to old style carnuba wax.

/ Protecting top on a new welding table #17  
You could give it a wipe with some of that shotgun bluing repair liquid. It will stain it a little and not totally prevent rust but it works pretty good.

Ok, heres what I went with, I found that I had a quart of this on the shelf. I would use it on my farm implements and they still look kinda new, so I figure why not on the table.
This stuff really works, I go over my 10' bush hog every 3 months with it and it keeps it from rusting and brings out the color real nice.
Their website is a kinda old school, but that's OK, most of here are old anyway!

1675358360469.png

/ Protecting top on a new welding table #20  
Something about "beautiful" and "welding table" just doesn't go together for me. If anything deserves battle scars it's a welding table.