Finally A Welding Table

/ Finally A Welding Table #1  

WranglerX

Elite Member
Tractor
MF GC1715
Well after several false starts and road blocks I have a welding table...

A while back I acquired a piece of 1/4 inch plate that measures 26X28 inches....A while after I got a set of casters from local tractor supply... Some time has gone by...

A few days ago I went to local metal supplier and was going to price out some 1-1/2 X 1-1/2 inch tube and to my surprise $159 for a 20ft. length and I need 30ft. .... Dream of finishing table sort of went "poof"...

Came home and rooted around in scrap pile and came up with 4 sets of angle iron bed rail two sets at 1-1/2 X 2 inch and two sets of 1-1/2 X 1-1/2 inch (knew I grabbed them out of neighbors "free" offering for some unknow reason at the time), Well the 1-1/2 X 2 inch ended up being cut and welded together to create a tube for legs and other lengths of bed rail uses to form frame to hold it all together....

Lot of hours of measuring and cutting and welding I have a sort of table.... Top has been drilled with 1/8 inch pilot holes on a 4x4 inch grid to be late drilled to 3/8 inch for setting up fixtures, jigs and what knots... Vice was something found shoved back deep in some dark shelf..

Bottom tray is a section of 1/4 cement board left over from some home repairs ... Table is not complete as it needs a bar to hang clamps from and a few odds & ends.... But it very workable as it is... Probably will add a few tweaks at later date....

Weld-table.jpg

Yes its sort of a light weight as tables go but its for small home shop, so its adequate for my needs...

Last edited:
   / Finally A Welding Table #2  
I like projects that only cost my time. Good job.

/ Finally A Welding Table #3  
Skip the holes. tack your pilots back shut.

/ Finally A Welding Table #5  
Any table is better than none... I dealt with the old, half broken ramps from my used trailer on a pair of sawhorses for a long time. Making a real table made a HUGE difference in productivity.
(y)

/ Finally A Welding Table #6  
Nice table! It can be very satisfying to use materials on hand!

Jack

/ Finally A Welding Table #7  
You will use it for a lot of stuff, spill anything, dirt, its all thru the holes and to tell the truth all that stuff looks better than it works, really, makes for nice pictures but I like commom clamps, like being able to wipe it up.

/ Finally A Welding Table #8  
That's about the size of the first one I built but yours looks much nicer. And you even painted it, WOW.

/ Finally A Welding Table
I hate rust....But not to point a item has to be hospital sterile... All the salvaged materials were of different colors....

/ Finally A Welding Table #10  
Interesting:

Some years back I purchased a 5/16" 2 x 3 ft sheer cut perfectly squared cuts.
Used old bed frame angles for legs and made lower shelf that holds my welder.
Also welded hooks to loop the cables conveniently.
Now it served me well especially when I was fabricating fireplace doors as I could clamp corners accurately @ 90 deg.
Made quite a few doors with that rig. Having a decent assortment of clamps sure helped.

LOL, now days I mostly weld outside and for that I simply use a plywood topped folding table which is now well scarred showing many grinder 'parking' scars and naturally is considerably charred in places.

Designing and making your own weld table is a good practice exercise.