Permanent mounted Christmas lights

/ Permanent mounted Christmas lights #1  

quicksandfarmer

Veteran Member
Tractor
Jinma 354, purchased 2007
We're thinking about putting up the holiday lights soon, and we want to put them on the gable end of the house. Which requires an extension ladder. So I'm thinking what I'd rather do is just go up the ladder once and install hooks on the rake board or drip edge, and then put the lights up and take them down with a hook on a pole and keeping my feet on the ground. I'm also thinking if I put up permanent hooks I can just use them every year.

Does anyone do this? I'm trying to figure out if there are special hooks or special lights for this. It seems like hooks that were easy to put up and take down with a pole wouldn't hold the lights very securely.

Any tips are appreciated.

Thanks.

/ Permanent mounted Christmas lights #2  
I di something similar last year. I used 4 color LED lights. They are in a flat strip. I used special staples with a plastic standoff especially made for wires. I stapled the lights to the bottom edge of the facia board every 3 or 4 ft. Strung the lights around the house, up and down the gables, along the flats, and up and around the chimney too. They came with a timer and options to select single color or all 4 colors in many delectable flash patterns or solid on... It's great. I did the wishing well to match. Can't wait to plug them back in this year and enjoy the fruits of my labor last year.

/ Permanent mounted Christmas lights
I di something similar last year. I used 4 color LED lights. They are in a flat strip. I used special staples with a plastic standoff especially made for wires. I stapled the lights to the bottom edge of the facia board every 3 or 4 ft. Strung the lights around the house, up and down the gables, along the flats, and up and around the chimney too. They came with a timer and options to select single color or all 4 colors in many delectable flash patterns or solid on... It's great. I did the wishing well to match. Can't wait to plug them back in this year and enjoy the fruits of my labor last year.
So you just left the lights up all year? I guess on the bottom of the fascia they're not really visible?

/ Permanent mounted Christmas lights #4  
We're thinking about putting up the holiday lights soon, and we want to put them on the gable end of the house. Which requires an extension ladder. So I'm thinking what I'd rather do is just go up the ladder once and install hooks on the rake board or drip edge, and then put the lights up and take them down with a hook on a pole and keeping my feet on the ground. I'm also thinking if I put up permanent hooks I can just use them every year.

Does anyone do this? I'm trying to figure out if there are special hooks or special lights for this. It seems like hooks that were easy to put up and take down with a pole wouldn't hold the lights very securely.

Any tips are appreciated.

Thanks.
Do this every year now. Few years back I put up hooks on the roof edges then took a couple lengths of my snow rake and tapped a hook on the end to both put the lights up and down. Problem is every year it seems a couple of the hooks break off (plastic) so once in awhile I have to get a ladder out. If it happens in the winter I just put a note on the calendar, July works great! But, sometimes the bulbs burn out and ya gots to do what ya gots to do!

/ Permanent mounted Christmas lights #5  
Did the small brass "cup hooks" on our gable ends and fascia 2 years ago.... worked great! Used an old extendable paint pole with 2 finish nails tacked into the end ..... can put the lights up and take them down with it.

/ Permanent mounted Christmas lights #6  
I wonder how UV-resistant the wiring & sockets are on those lights. I've left lights up for a couple seasons and the wires were getting kind of stiff & brittle after a couple years.

/ Permanent mounted Christmas lights #7  
Permanent hooks would work fine, just be sure they are sturdy and able to withstand sunlight and weather, and that they won't allow water infiltration into your structure.

Another tip, don't use a metal pole to put up electric lights. Use fiberglass.

/ Permanent mounted Christmas lights #8  
I wonder how UV-resistant the wiring & sockets are on those lights. I've left lights up for a couple seasons and the wires were getting kind of stiff & brittle after a couple years.
I think he's talking about putting up permanent hooks, and using a pole to put up AND take down the lights seasonally.

I, too, would not leave them up year round unless they were in a mild climate and under the eves out of sunlight. Wind, rain and sun will do a number on them a couple years out.

/ Permanent mounted Christmas lights #9  
I have the led outdoor strip lights strung under the soffit so they're out of the wind & rain. They've been up about 7 years without a problem and are wired into a switch indoors and I treat them as a regular porch light. I picked the brightest ones I found since they are intended as a porch light and not as Christmas lights, but could be. After 7 years one of the copper traces cracked and the section after that went out, so I replaced both strings of lights. The water proofing cover does yellow after time, but I've not seen any change in the light intensity. If you pick the RGB light strings I think you can get white as well.

/ Permanent mounted Christmas lights #10  
Well all of you seem more fancy than some of my rural Mississippi neighbors with Christmas tree lights on their mobile homes. They leave them up year around.