Ridge repair on steep barn roof?

/ Ridge repair on steep barn roof? #1  

2manyrocks

The boards holding the ridge on my 1930's era barn need to be replaced. Recently, one of the boards failed entirely because of rot and the ridge started lifting because the nails no longer hold in this rotted wood.

As an emergency temporary fix, I threw a rope over that portion of the ridge to hold it down. The problem is figuring out how to get to the top of the roof in order to make the repairs safely. Part of the roof has a 52 degree slope that has been too steep for me to climb.

Four possible options come to mind. 1) Throw another line like a 5/8 arborist rope over the entire barn, anchor it on either side, and then use a safety harness to scale the steepest part. Something tells me I'll fall flat on my face.

2) secure a rope along with a safety harness, but also secure a ladder to the steepest part with additional ropes to hold it in place. Then climb the ladder to the top.

3) set up scaffold beside the end wall and climb over onto the roof also using a safety harness secured to the roof.

4) put up scaffold inside the barn loft, remove the top siding, and construct some kind of cantilevered balcony from which to climb onto the roof.

I have also considering hiring a roofing company, but I'd like to think through how this job could be done first.

The work that needs to be done is to pull the old nails or enough of them at the top to replace the boards under the roof panels at the very top under the ridge cap. I think the 2x6 rafters are still solid. The metal panels are getting kind of brittle. If someone were to be aggressive in yanking them up, they are likely to get tears in them.

I'd appreciate some help figuring out my options.

barn 1.jpg

barn 3 ridge detail.jpg

/ Ridge repair on steep barn roof? #2  
One of the ways the old slate roofs used to be worked on was taking apart a long extension ladder, placing one side on each of the roof and tieing the two sections together, at times tieing the unloaded section to a secure point on the ground.

/ Ridge repair on steep barn roof? #3  
Is the floor safe to park a vehicle on ? And how high up is the ridge ? Rent a JLG or equivalent boom lift and start the repair from inside. Then seal the deal from outside with it, too, including shingles as necessary. I liked the machine so much I bought one. Battery powered so the ground crew can hear you scream ! I made a jib crane attachment to replace the cage for getting heavier stuff up there like shingles, windows, vents, cupolas, etc.

Attachments

• 20150906_195002.jpg
    20150906_195002.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 103
   / Ridge repair on steep barn roof? #4  
One of the ways the old slate roofs used to be worked on was taking apart a long extension ladder, placing one side on each of the roof and tieing the two sections together, at times tieing the unloaded section to a secure point on the ground.
If mine I would rent an articulating boom lift after getting all supplies needed. There is no way one could get me up a roof such as you described 40 years ago, and definitely not today. A roof as old as you described definitely is not something to be walking on.

34 ft Articulating Boom Lift Rental - Diesel Dual-Fuel | BigRentz

/ Ridge repair on steep barn roof? #5  
The various boom lifts are nice and very handy for many jobs.
I used them often in my younger working days and we have rented one a few times on the farm.
However for roofing they are almost worthless unless you are using it to carry materials
and as a tie off point for a harness.
When you swing it in above a roof the roof is under the manbasket your are almost going to be standing on your head to reach the roof.
Then add in the bouncing those booms do when your running it, good way to damage your roof.

/ Ridge repair on steep barn roof? #6  
I have used a ladder held on the roof by a rope that drops over the other side of the barn. It is a pain but it worked on a 10/12 pitch roof. Put the ladder on the roof and climb the ladder on the roof. You will need two ladders obviously.

/ Ridge repair on steep barn roof? #7  
I like working barns from a lift or a bucket now.

/ Ridge repair on steep barn roof? #8  
Hire it done. Not worth the injury to self risk.

/ Ridge repair on steep barn roof? #9  
I have laid a 28' ladder flat on the roof, extended all the way to the porch against cleats, and I have used roof jacks holding the ladder while flat on a roof with another used to get to it. Both worked pretty good when I was young. Today, I would probably hire it out and have them redo the wood and fasteners all the way across and be done with it.

/ Ridge repair on steep barn roof?
Looks like the pictures I attempted to post got lost during today's technical website problems. Here is what the barn looks like.

barn.jpg

ridge.jpg