Ridge repair on steep barn roof?

/ Ridge repair on steep barn roof? #12  
Pay someone to fix it. I’m not a fan of heights either.
That's sound advice. If you are here asking how to do it you probably should not be up there. I would not at my age and I worked heights before safety harnesses most of my life. New an old man who was a steeple painter. Said he climbed Steeples all over TX with a brush and and a bucket long before safety equipment was invented. Died in his bed at 93.

Last edited:
   / Ridge repair on steep barn roof?
It's awkward to position a ladder on the steepest portion. I've done it with roof jacks to install screws on part of the roof panels in that area, but I wouldn't think about going to the ridge without securing both the ladder and myself with something more secure.

Maybe I could build a wooden ladder with two sections. One section would scale the steepest portion and then be attached by bolts or hinges to a second section at the top. Both sections would be roped off to solid anchor points.

Another idea is to use a large cargo net or a few of them?

I'm also thinking about placing scaffold on the interior to remove and replace the rotted boards from underneath. The scaffold underneath would give me a flat working platform. Could roll it in the loft if I put some plywood down. But would still have to access the top of the roof to screw the ridge back down.

/ Ridge repair on steep barn roof? #14  
So many ways things could go wrong here.
For me, in this situation, I would ascribe to the “buy once, cry once” rule, and have it done by professional.

I like to do my own work too, as well as keep costs down, but the risk here is more than I could justify.

/ Ridge repair on steep barn roof? #15  
Worked at height most of working life;I would hire that job done.
Weigh the cost of the repair to a "possible"hopital bill.
In my younger days I free climbed as high as 140 ft.with NO safety equipment,them days are long gone.

/ Ridge repair on steep barn roof? #16  
I agree with others, hire someone o do the work. Jon

/ Ridge repair on steep barn roof? #17  
I fell off the house roof - once. Only a ten foot drop but, damn - it hurt. Nothing broken but a whole lot of sore parts. You would NEVER get me up that high or on that steep a roof. I'd hire it done. But then again - I'm 80 years old.

/ Ridge repair on steep barn roof?
One positive about the roof is that the texture is rough unlike a new metal roof that would also be very slippery.

I don't know how they built it originally, but I'm curious how they installed the last panel and then got down.

/ Ridge repair on steep barn roof? #19  
I agree with others to hire it done.

If you use a ladder, a ladder hook would be a very good idea to keep the ladder in place.
Ladder hook

/ Ridge repair on steep barn roof? #20  
We used chicken ladders for steep rooves.