Working Solo - Handling 24' Horizontal Tin Siding

/ Working Solo - Handling 24' Horizontal Tin Siding #1  

flingwing1969

Platinum Member
The CA Cascades in the shadow of Mt. Lassen
Tractor
LS G3038, JD GT275, and Bolins H16
About two years ago, I had two slabs poured for two 20 x 24 metal shops with 9-foot walls. I ordered the metal and got going on the shops this summer, got one frame up by myself and my brother-in-law came over and helped me get one and 2/3 of the 24' side walls up before he decided that was way too much like work and I never saw him again.

I then came down with a bad recurrence of vertigo that has plagued me off and on since my service days and that kept me off the roof and off ladders, and it is still with me a bit since August now. Anyway, I'm going to get started on finishing the shop soon but 24' long pieces of 5-rib is like handling wet spaghetti, takes two to carry it and really three to lift it onto the sidewall to tack it down (if you don't want it to bend and crease).

So I was thinking, how can I stiffen these panels (that are not heavy, really) so one guy can carry it to the shed and then, how do I get the bloody thing up the wall so I can tack it in place. Well, this is what I've come up with - haven't tried it but I don't see why it won't work.
1. I create a stiffened edge with two 10' 2x4s sandwiching the tin just below the top rib using my handy dandy modified vice-grip welding pliers,

1 hard knocks.jpg

2. That way, only 7' of tin is unsupported on each end and this length is stiff enough to support itself without bending
3. I can then carry it to the wall.
4. I lean it against the wall and connect a rope tied to a carabiner to eye-bolts on each end of the 2x4s, and
5. Lift it up the wall with my Jeep's winch via a system of pulleys and a snatch block.

1 forecast.jpg

6. Climb onto my scaffold and screw the panel down
7. Remove the carabiners and repeat with the next panel.

If anyone has any possible use for this, feel free to steal it. If you see any flaws in my plan, let me know.

/ Working Solo - Handling 24' Horizontal Tin Siding #2  
Do you need TWO 2x4's? Wouldn't 1 do (with just short blocks on the other side)?

/ Working Solo - Handling 24' Horizontal Tin Siding #3  
Use the force, Flingwing!

yoda.jpg

Bruce

/ Working Solo - Handling 24' Horizontal Tin Siding
Do you need TWO 2x4's? Wouldn't 1 do (with just short blocks on the other side)?

See, that's exactly what I was looking for. You're right - long one and two 16" long ones ought to do it. I can always add a longer one if it's still wiggly but it certainly shouldn't be. Thanks Newbury.

/ Working Solo - Handling 24' Horizontal Tin Siding #6  
pictures don't forget the pictures

/ Working Solo - Handling 24' Horizontal Tin Siding #7  
I built a 20 x 24 shed with 10 ft wall height by myself about 10 years ago when I was age 67. Metal panels on sides and roof. Side panels installed vertical. Didn't see the advantage of struggling with longer, horizontally installed panels since I was working by myself.

Equip shed finished-1 (Medium).JPG

Good luck

/ Working Solo - Handling 24' Horizontal Tin Siding #8  
Once roofed a indoor riding arena using the Vicegrip technique, sheets were 23 ft long and we'd lean 2 x 4 at an angle so as to not crease the metal panels.
A pulley nailed at the top and long rope completed the apparatus. Worked great with never a crease or kink, and that arena was 200 ft long!

Called working smarter!

Oh, and we'd pre drill the screw holes (using a jig) 5 sheets at a time so that the screw guy never missed a purlin. Also from the ground looking up the screwline pattern was real pretty.

I built a 20 x 24 shed with 10 ft wall height by myself about 10 years ago when I was age 67. Metal panels on sides and roof. Side panels installed vertical. Didn't see the advantage of struggling with longer, horizontally installed panels since I was working by myself.

View attachment 545687

Good luck

Yes. If I had it to do over, I would specify vertical siding instead but this is the way the kit came from the metal building store so here I am, dealing with it and lack of help. My DW will be there to help carry the pieces over, she's a fine sturdy Irish lass, but if needed they are not too heavy for this 72 year old to tote. Nice shelter BTW - make a great firewood shed too, maybe with a bit of a shed roof overhang on the open side. I like it!

pictures don't forget the pictures

Will do Woody. Here is a photo or two of me putting up the trusses with my tractor and a home made boom pole attached to my tractor's fork lift frame via the receiver welded to it. The boom is a simple bent 1" pipe with some re-bar supports welded to it and cable guy-cables going back to the frame to prevent sway. Works good.

using boom on shop 1.jpg

using boom on shop 2.jpg

using boom on shop B.jpg

Where pipe boom enters receiver.JPG