Old Barn used for equipment, You think this will work?

/ Old Barn used for equipment, You think this will work? #1  

marhar

Gold Member
Tractor
Farm Trac 60
I have an old barn. Each side of the barn has 4 stalls with a loft over the stalls. The barn is open in the middle.

I am looking to put a couple of pieces of heavy equipment in the center. I would like to open the stalls from the outside sides of the barn. My goal is to cut openings in the sides of the barn and have several garage doors on the sides. I would like to be able to open the garage door and back the tractor to drop an implement. I would not cut any structural supports.

What are your thoughts and advice? I am looking for a cost-effective way to store implements with the ease of backing up and detaching or backing up and attaching.

Attachments

• barn.JPG
    barn.JPG
    95.3 KB · Views: 129
   / Old Barn used for equipment, You think this will work? #2  
With the proper reinforcement it could be done. One issue I have with doors in the sides of a building
all the rain or snow is going to be pouring down on you if you can't get the rear of the tractor past the overhang.

/ Old Barn used for equipment, You think this will work? #3  
Get, a good structural review. The exterior wall could be resisting wind shear, and cutting big holes in it could compromise the structure.

It would be worth having an Engineer take a look at it.

/ Old Barn used for equipment, You think this will work? #4  
I'd think long and hard about how much stability the sides you're opening up may be providing via shear strength, and make sure you replace it somehow.

/ Old Barn used for equipment, You think this will work? #5  
Looks like you have some nice posts laying in the barn.
What about framing the new doorways with those, dropped down 3’ with a couple bags of concrete in each hole? This will not add any stress to the old barn and if you attach them anywhere to the barn sides, it will actually strengthen the entire structure.
Don’t forget to seal the wood very well that will be underground. We always used asphalt emulsion as a waterproofing. You can find it at most of the big box stores in the roofing section.

edit: if you can tie the new door framing posts into any of the original pole barn style posts existing in the sides, that would be even better. Be sure to check all your corner posts of the barn for rot. Dig down a couple feet. Maybe since you have the post hole digger out anyway, another reenforcement post on each corner might be worth the effort? :)

Last edited:
   / Old Barn used for equipment, You think this will work? #6  
Personally I'd build a long and narrow typical machine shed and leave the barn intact.
The older I get the more I feel the importance of saving old barns. They're not making them anymore. 👍

/ Old Barn used for equipment, You think this will work? #7  
I have an old barn. Each side of the barn has 4 stalls with a loft over the stalls. The barn is open in the middle.

I am looking to put a couple of pieces of heavy equipment in the center. I would like to open the stalls from the outside sides of the barn. My goal is to cut openings in the sides of the barn and have several garage doors on the sides. I would like to be able to open the garage door and back the tractor to drop an implement. I would not cut any structural supports.

What are your thoughts and advice? I am looking for a cost-effective way to store implements with the ease of backing up and detaching or backing up and attaching.
At a minimum, you’ll need structural headers over the door openings if they are load bearing walls. Find a local structural engineer and have him draw up some specs for you. Money well spent.

/ Old Barn used for equipment, You think this will work? #8  
At a minimum, you’ll need structural headers over the door openings if they are load bearing walls. Find a local structural engineer and have him draw up some specs for you. Money well spent.

Good thought! It only takes one oops becoming an oops to really ruin your day. 🤣

/ Old Barn used for equipment, You think this will work? #9  
Being 2 story the building has plenty of shear above assuming the siding is sound. What is the size of this barn and how many doors of what size do you wish to cut in?

/ Old Barn used for equipment, You think this will work? #10  
If the barn is old enough to be a real post and beam barn, there are no load bearing walls, the posts carry the load. I'm voting for saving the barn asis and building something new for the implements.