Determining how badly my barn has settled/heaved

/ Determining how badly my barn has settled/heaved #11  
I tried that once (Instrument Tech, knew it should work) and found it very unreliable over, say 50 feet. Is there a trick? No bubbles, water wetter, etc?
You have to let it set for a day or so to make sure the air is completely gone. The air will stick to the side of the hose in small bubbles initially until it dissipates.
My dad used to say the oldtimers would leave the water in it for years and would get extremely upset if someone dumped the water out. How they'd do that without mould I have no idea, maybea bit of bleach. I found a bit of windshield washer AF would work great as it would also lower the surface tension of the water as well.

/ Determining how badly my barn has settled/heaved #12  
Some say 1/4 tube is too small, but 3/8 tube works better.

/ Determining how badly my barn has settled/heaved #13  
I would start by determining if the change is due to ground movement or support decay. If support decay, post rot or such, those posts may need to be replaced or shortened and the masonry support extended. If the center ground has heaved and is holding solid those posts may need to be shortened. Pictures would help us visualize the problem a lot. It's fair to say we do not know what we are talking about without them.
You can simply pull a masons line along some fixed point like the front wall top plate to enable you to measure how much heave you are actually looking at. Then you can hold a good 4 ft or longer level to the line to see which side is higher and roughly by how much. You can do this in less time than imagined. Tools needed a string line, 2 nails, a hammer, a level, and a tape measure.

/ Determining how badly my barn has settled/heaved #14  
I’m a land surveyor and would use what we called an automatic level. It’s optical, you set it up on a tripod, get it close to level, then take readings with a level rod. A rotary laser would also work, the kind that sits on a tripod and you put a sensor on the level rod.

These are fairly simple to use but do take a little bit of training to use.

/ Determining how badly my barn has settled/heaved #15  
I’m a land surveyor and would use what we called an automatic level. It’s optical, you set it up on a tripod, get it close to level, then take readings with a level rod. A rotary laser would also work, the kind that sits on a tripod and you put a sensor on the level rod.

These are fairly simple to use but do take a little bit of training to use.
I would use my Rotary laser level too but not everybody has access to one of these. Mine is left over from a building career.

/ Determining how badly my barn has settled/heaved #16  
Some pictures might help.

/ Determining how badly my barn has settled/heaved #17  
I agree, not everyone has access to one or knows how to use it. I’d find a contractor or someone else to come do it if necessary.

/ Determining how badly my barn has settled/heaved #18  
A ball of string and a mason's line level are my go to's most of the time, even though I have a laser, pocket and water levels. I doubt your center post has heaved, more than likely the sides have sunk/settled.

How old is the barn?

/ Determining how badly my barn has settled/heaved #19  
I would use my Rotary laser level too but not everybody has access to one of these. Mine is left over from a building career. Seems to require new batteries every time I use it now = once in a blue moon.

/ Determining how badly my barn has settled/heaved #20  
I wonder how they kept level when building the pyramids