How would you build this?

/ How would you build this? #1  

Torvy

Tractor
TYM T574H
I've been thinking about how I want to store my 3pt and FEL attachments/implements. What I envision is a stand-alone covered lean-to with room for 6 items. 3 up, 3 down. For my purposes, the implements would be 72"(6ft) or less (+/- a few inches). The plan is to use pallets.

How much clearance do you think? I was considering the outer 'stalls' at 96" and center one at 84". Is 4' high enough for the 2nd level to start? 6x6 posts at the corners? I'll slope the roof toward the back and cover with leftover roofing/siding from my house.

I know I could hunt around for Pallet racks, but those typically are not covered and I have no skills at metal working. I can do ok with wood working as long as it doesn't have to be pretty.

Just looking for ideas at this point. It will probably take a few months before I am ready to start.

Thanks!

/ How would you build this? #2  
20 ft shipping container with bays cut/framed in the side?

/ How would you build this? #3  
I place my 3pt implements on pallets/frames with wheels, so they are really easy to attach. If you can put in a smooth concrete floor, and put all the 3pt implements on the ground that is what worked for me. FEL implements will happily go in a pallet rack.

You can get galvanised outdoor pallet racks, which might be an easy place to start.

/ How would you build this? #4  
I've been thinking about how I want to store my 3pt and FEL attachments/implements. What I envision is a stand-alone covered lean-to with room for 6 items. 3 up, 3 down. For my purposes, the implements would be 72"(6ft) or less (+/- a few inches). The plan is to use pallets.

How much clearance do you think? I was considering the outer 'stalls' at 96" and center one at 84". Is 4' high enough for the 2nd level to start? 6x6 posts at the corners? I'll slope the roof toward the back and cover with leftover roofing/siding from my house.

I know I could hunt around for Pallet racks, but those typically are not covered and I have no skills at metal working. I can do ok with wood working as long as it doesn't have to be pretty.

Just looking for ideas at this point. It will probably take a few months before I am ready to start.

Thanks!
One caution about wooden shelving... it's not so much the weight of the implements that you're storing on them, but the accidental application of down pressure with you FEL forks if that's how you're planning to get them up there.

A regular fork lift has no down pressure. It's gravity.

A FEL can have down pressure if you're not careful. So just something to consider.

Good luck with your project.

/ How would you build this? #5  
Which implements do you plan to store? Just thinking some might be easier to handle than others. Some will also weigh more than others. Have you added up the expected weight that will have to be supported?

/ How would you build this? #6  
I'm with Moss on this one, wood probably isn't appropriate for a 6' implement's weight and likely incidental added pressure when storing/retrieving the implement. But it would be pretty easy to build a shelter over some pallet rack as you described, just a pole barn then you could set up the pallet rack inside. That would also make it very easy to replace components that get damaged over time compared to a wood shelf.

One note though, you're measurements come out to 23'. Is that ID and your OD is planned at 24'? Just my construction OCD talking. Also, I don't think you'd like trying to get a 72" implement into an 84" opening but maybe you have better visbility from your tractor than I have and you have more room to line up on the opening.

/ How would you build this?
Which implements do you plan to store? Just thinking some might be easier to handle than others. Some will also weigh more than others. Have you added up the expected weight that will have to be supported?
The list will include: box blade and forks (already own those). Near future: flail/ditch mower, grapple, and PHD (not likely to be stored that way). Down the road...tiller, chipper, stump grinder, other?

/ How would you build this?
I'm with Moss on this one, wood probably isn't appropriate for a 6' implement's weight and likely incidental added pressure when storing/retrieving the implement. But it would be pretty easy to build a shelter over some pallet rack as you described, just a pole barn then you could set up the pallet rack inside. That would also make it very easy to replace components that get damaged over time compared to a wood shelf.

One note though, you're measurements come out to 23'. Is that ID and your OD is planned at 24'? Just my construction OCD talking. Also, I don't think you'd like trying to get a 72" implement into an 84" opening but maybe you have better visbility from your tractor than I have and you have more room to line up on the opening.
I hear you. That's a big reason I started this thread. Trying to determine what I don't know or didn't consider. I was mostly trying to keep it from becoming a monstrosity. I want to keep the place as much in trees as possible. Maybe I could share a wall with the chicken coop? That's a whole other project down the road.

/ How would you build this? #9  
I have the steel commercial racks in my barn. In this state, it’s just too rainy to leave expensive implements outside.

I decided to build an 8 foot wide by 5 Ft high wood rack to store a couple of lightweight sprayers on. It didn’t work out well, the forks mangled it a bit, other equipment would hit it and shove it out of alignmen. It became a damaged mess in about 2 years.

meanwhile, the steel pallet racks were unaffected by the same experience , and they look a lot better too.
The downside is the one time expense compared to the wood version.

/ How would you build this? #10  
You can see how these attachments are stored on pallet racks in the background of this tractor listing if that's of any help. 2019 KUBOTA BX23S For Sale in Lewisburg, Tennessee

Are you building a storage building for your tractor? It would seem like you'd want a lean-to on the outside of it to store implements but you'd need a concrete base to support the pallet racks?

Maybe you could find some used pallet racks or your neighbor who has the fabrication shop could weld up something similar?

Last edited: