Shipping container with side doors for storage

/ Shipping container with side doors for storage #11  
Downsides of shipping container;

Poor looks.
Doors are not made for daily use.
Needs modifications like, needs better ventilation and lights.
No choice in widths.

Good things about a shipping container;

Easier to move.
Better security.
Snow load capacity is high (who here cares? We do!)
Ready built.

So whats more important to you?

Last edited:
   / Shipping container with side doors for storage #12  
My Son has two 20 footers. They don't hold as much stuff as you might think. AND, the thing you need is always in the front.

If I was adding a roof ventilator it would be a whirly bird ventilator.

/ Shipping container with side doors for storage #13  
Downsides of shipping container;

Poor looks.
Doors are not made for daily use.
Needs modifications like, needs better ventilation and lights.
No choice in widths.

Good things about a shipping container;

Easier to move.
Better security.
Snow load capacity is high (who here cares? We do!)
Ready built.

So whats more important to you?
Also one thing a container does really good is keep rodents out.
I have a big problem with them at a remote piece of land. They chew wires like there candy. I had a set of hanging bistro lights they chewed 7 bulb sockets right off along with the threaded portion of a propane tank regulator.

/ Shipping container with side doors for storage #14  
This is what I noticed also. Preccovid a WWT 20' was $2700. Now $3700. That's more than a 10x16 shed and it dosnt look terrible like a container.

For refrence I'm about 5hrs from the port in NJ.
That is because the price of steel doubled over Covid.

/ Shipping container with side doors for storage #15  
I priced some a week ago.
Used 20' are $1800. Used 40' $2700. I was surprised at the price. The guy said the price is way down since the supply chain mess. High cube are only a little more.

/ Shipping container with side doors for storage #16  
I priced some a week ago.
Used 20' are $1800. Used 40' $2700. I was surprised at the price. The guy said the price is way down since the supply chain mess. High cube are only a little more.
Did you get a shipping price? Or maybe you are moving it.

/ Shipping container with side doors for storage #17  
I live near Ann Arbor Michigan and the advertised prices here are 20' $2,399 and the 40' $2,899 delivered.

/ Shipping container with side doors for storage #18  
I live near Ann Arbor Michigan and the advertised prices here are 20' $2,399 and the 40' $2,899 delivered.
Well thats a lot better than here. Going by memorie, seems they were $2000 for a 20 footer and another 2000 for shipping from northern WI.

/ Shipping container with side doors for storage #19  
Containers have their benefits. I bought a one use container... looked new in and out. It is clean and dry, water tight, and secure. They do get really hot inside here when left exposed to the sun. So I started building a roof over it. The project grew and I ended up with this below. We store electronic inventory in it, it has industrial shelving on all sides in side. Very clean and secure. Neighbor has 2 spaced 12-16 ft apart with a flat roof over both and the tractor parked in the center.

You just posted exactly what I have been considering. Placing two far enough part, side by side and a roof over them. My biggest concern is definitely the heat and the condensation. I live in a area that gets very hot and humid in the Summer. I know equipment in enclosed trailers, especially dark ones, literally bake. I was talking to someone today about them that has access and can deliver them.

Another concern of mine, mostly that I just got is how they are going to look. I see people on YouTube using Harbor Freight paint systems to paint them which seems to really make them more palatable to look at. That is semi important to me. Again though my biggest concern is even if I plan a roof, I would probably still plan to ventilate them somehow. A couple fans maybe, like one intake and one exhaust on each.

So my question would be what did you neighbor use for base? Concrete all the way, gravel all the way, a mixture perhaps?

/ Shipping container with side doors for storage #20  

So I'm not sure how long you have been looking or what your personal situation is but everything is like that. It is the same with people wanting $100-$200 for empty 275 Gallon IBC totes. Ridiculous, but I guess if you really, really need them it is worth what you are willing to spend. I buy them from my wood guy locally for $30. I have to pick them up though, unless I decide to buy a lot at a time which I never get more than two at a time.

I just talked to a guy today that said 40' long containers can be bought around here for $1,200. He said he would text me the seller, which I definitely need to remind him to do now. I did not ask him if it included delivery. Still quite a bit cheaper than your estimates though, especially considering it is longer. Having this in mind, if I look at prices on Facebook Marketplace or just Google they are much closer to your rates.