Shipping container with side doors for storage

/ Shipping container with side doors for storage #21  
The original post was talking about shipping containers with side doors. All of the responses are about rear door containers. I never knew side door containers existed until I saw two here in Michigan listed on an online auction. They went for approximately $10,000 each and the buyer had to move them. They did look like they were in as new condition.

/ Shipping container with side doors for storage #22  
The original post was talking about shipping containers with side doors. All of the responses are about rear door containers. I never knew side door containers existed until I saw two here in Michigan listed on an online auction. They went for approximately $10,000 each and the buyer had to move them. They did look like they were in as new condition.
I've seen those listed a couple places but never understood why anyone bought them. You can put up a building with more square footage that's more conveniently laid out for less money.

/ Shipping container with side doors for storage #23  
OP I recommend that you put the container about 1ft off the ground so that cats can get under easily. This discourages vermin and provides good under floor ventilation. If you are going to put in shelving I also recommend a high cube container.

/ Shipping container with side doors for storage #24  
I'd like to see one of these side door units. :unsure:

Last edited:
   / Shipping container with side doors for storage #25  
Regarding the question about a foundation, you only need four corner supports. They are made to rest on the corners, not in the middle or elsewhere. I agree with setting them up high to let cats get in. But also to avoid the long term effect of rusting out the bottom of the container if they lay flat on the ground. (Just watch, in a few years you will be able to buy used ones from an ad like this: "Container for sale. Good walls and roof. Floor has built in ventilation.")

The other big issue to deal with - if you want to be able to go in and out easily - get rid of the latching mechanism. They are made to be very secure, which makes them very difficult to deal with opening frequently. Four latching mechanisms and, to open each door, you have to operate two at a time, simultaneously. For mine, I am planning to grind off the bolt connections from the inside and remove either all or maybe just leave one.

Another issue with the latching mechanism . . . they hang down several inches below the floor elevation. This means you cannot build a smooth ramp up to the entrance. You have to keep the outside low to allow the doors to swing open. Driving in a riding mower, for example, can require laying down boards as a ramp.

Regarding two containers with a roof in between - that is one of the best ideas for a quick shelter or shop area. Here is one approach by the YT channel Diesel Creek:

/ Shipping container with side doors for storage #26  
You just posted exactly what I have been considering. Placing two far enough part, side by side and a roof over them. My biggest concern is definitely the heat and the condensation. I live in a area that gets very hot and humid in the Summer. I know equipment in enclosed trailers, especially dark ones, literally bake. I was talking to someone today about them that has access and can deliver them.

Another concern of mine, mostly that I just got is how they are going to look. I see people on YouTube using Harbor Freight paint systems to paint them which seems to really make them more palatable to look at. That is semi important to me. Again though my biggest concern is even if I plan a roof, I would probably still plan to ventilate them somehow. A couple fans maybe, like one intake and one exhaust on each.

So my question would be what did you neighbor use for base? Concrete all the way, gravel all the way, a mixture perhaps?
Neighbor put gravel under the containers. I think he got trusses from a truss company that had cancelled order stock cheaper than regular stuff. See if you have a truss builder local.
I was in my container yesterday marveling at how clean every thing was in there. Cleanest room on the ranch!
It would be nice to have a concrete slab in the middle and back wall... after that - a front door... now we have a barn! lol
Mine still gets hot. Never did cut the whirly bird vents into the roof - probably why it stays so clean inside.

/ Shipping container with side doors for storage #27  
I suspect the container would be cooler inside if the roof were run to entirely cover the container top and then air could flow between the top of the container and the roof. And the sun would beat down on the roof instead of directly on the container top.

/ Shipping container with side doors for storage #28  
Mine still gets hot. Never did cut the whirly bird vents into the roof - probably why it stays so clean inside.
I suspect the container would be cooler inside if the roof were run to entirely cover the container top and then air could flow between the top of the container and the roof. And the sun would beat down on the roof instead of directly on the container top.

This is my largest concern. I know there are places that get hot in California but I literally live in a swamp. So when the temperature gets up it is like being on a planet with a different atmosphere and gravity. As in when you walk outside you literally feel like someone ties a 50lb weight to you.

I am really thinking about ordering two of the 20' containers to start with and pouring a slab of concrete or doing some kind of foundation like your neighbor has. It would immediately solve a lot of my storage issues and hopefully be all I need in the future.

I know CA has to one of the most different states when it comes to regulations when you consider I am in WV. Having that said, I wonder what how high it would raise my taxes, homeowners etc? Because if you correctly value it as opposed to say a garage you are talking about a tiny fraction of the cost. So even if a tree fell on it you are still talking a minimum amount of money to replace it all. This is something a lot of people do not think about around here. The huge cost of a permit, insurance, and taxes. I am sure CA is worse.

/ Shipping container with side doors for storage #29  
I've saw many military versions of 40ft milvans with dividing walls and 3 side doors creating 3 different lockable storage units. Had two of them at my last Company.

/ Shipping container with side doors for storage #30  

You can order one on E-Bay for $20,000
side door.PNG