Shipping container with side doors for storage

/ Shipping container with side doors for storage #41  
If I get one it will get 2" of closed cell spray foam on the walls and ceiling. Then a mini-split or window unit AC.

/ Shipping container with side doors for storage #42  
If I get one it will get 2" of closed cell spray foam on the walls and ceiling. Then a mini-split or window unit AC.

So I thought about a mini-split to just ventilate it. Were you thinking the same thing or to actually cool it? Do you only cool it when you are using it?

/ Shipping container with side doors for storage
I like your idea. I am thinking of a solar attic fan on top and vents near the bottom on each end. I think I will have the container placed on blocks 18 inches off the ground.

/ Shipping container with side doors for storage #44  
I like your idea. I am thinking of a solar attic fan on top and vents near the bottom on each end. I think I will have the container placed on blocks 18 inches off the ground.
Even a passive roof vent and low side vents would be better than nothing.

Even a passive roof vent and low side vents would be better than nothing.
I agree. I do not have an electric pole in the location I want to set the container. Any ideas on getting some power to the unit without too much cost? I just want some lights and a fan or two.

/ Shipping container with side doors for storage #46  
Here is one that is 40ft by 8ft. This unit has rear doors and then two sets of side doors. This is the kind of unit I am thinking about. I have seen a wide range of prices from new at 13K to used ones at just under 6K.

View attachment 794164
I just contacted a local place that sells shipping containers today. They actually have these side door units but do not have used ones. They are $12,500 new. In my opinion that is a whole lot of extra money for something with side doors. If you just bought the regular shipping containers I'm sure you could just buy some garage doors to fit, put a foundation under it, install a mini-split unit and all for less than buying a side door unit new or even used really. I have watched some videos and it looks like people are saying if you cut into the regular units to add something like a door you should reinforce that area as cutting a hole in it reduces the structural integrity of the unit.

/ Shipping container with side doors for storage #47  
I agree. I do not have an electric pole in the location I want to set the container. Any ideas on getting some power to the unit without too much cost? I just want some lights and a fan or two.
You are already talking about spending a lot of money on a side door unit. Why not just spend the extra money and have an electrician come give you an estimate? Then ask him what you could save if you dug the trench, assuming you or a neighbor has that capability. I can rent a Ventrac with a trencher for like $250 a day. Then you can add whatever you want, like a 220v for blade sharpening, welding and the like in case you ever get anything like that.

If you want to go the cheapest route, you can get some hanging lights from Amazon, Costco or something, then get a solar vent or couple whirly birds. Again though and no offense, I do not understand spending a premium price on the container and then not wanting to spend a tiny fraction of the price running electricity to it.

I have the same problem with a 12x16 on my property now. My father and uncle built a really nice little shed here but spared every expense they could. We have regretted it over the years and now I have inherited this mess of a problem. Just do it right the first time, or put yourself in a position where you can do it right later. For instance, get the container(s) now, place it where you want, then start getting estimates for things like electricity and see how hot they get this Summer. If I remember correctly it gets pretty cool in NC over the Winter months so if you can hold off until then you have plenty of time to look at your concerns and address them. Just my two cents.

You are already talking about spending a lot of money on a side door unit. Why not just spend the extra money and have an electrician come give you an estimate? Then ask him what you could save if you dug the trench, assuming you or a neighbor has that capability. I can rent a Ventrac with a trencher for like $250 a day. Then you can add whatever you want, like a 220v for blade sharpening, welding and the like in case you ever get anything like that.

If you want to go the cheapest route, you can get some hanging lights from Amazon, Costco or something, then get a solar vent or couple whirly birds. Again though and no offense, I do not understand spending a premium price on the container and then not wanting to spend a tiny fraction of the price running electricity to it.

I have the same problem with a 12x16 on my property now. My father and uncle built a really nice little shed here but spared every expense they could. We have regretted it over the years and now I have inherited this mess of a problem. Just do it right the first time, or put yourself in a position where you can do it right later. For instance, get the container(s) now, place it where you want, then start getting estimates for things like electricity and see how hot they get this Summer. If I remember correctly it gets pretty cool in NC over the Winter months so if you can hold off until then you have plenty of time to look at your concerns and address them. Just my two cents.
Your post makes sense. What has happened: I assumed I just wanted a place to store implements and a tractor. The more I thought about it the more I wanted to add to it My vision started as a 20 ft container. I then thought about the ease of detaching and attaching implements, then other equipment I wanted to store.

/ Shipping container with side doors for storage #49  
IF
And that's a big if, you've clear sky and a relatively secure area a small solar panel and small battery can be had as a "camping setup" for about $100. Prices climb rapidly as you add niceties, like a charge controller etc.

/ Shipping container with side doors for storage #50  
So I thought about a mini-split to just ventilate it. Were you thinking the same thing or to actually cool it? Do you only cool it when you are using it?
I need it cooled for using it as a shop. Will also provide some dehumidification, tho in my experience mini-splits are not great at that so I might get a small dehumidifier.