New Metal shop

/ New Metal shop #1  

woody

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota B26, Kubota ZG222, Kubota L45, 1980 Ford 1700
I ordered a new metal shop building today, it is basically a glorified car port but it will serve to double the size of my existing shop and with a taller roof it will be better suited for my recent lift addition. It will have the square tubing wall studs and roofing metal walls, with the wall studs five feet apart what's the best way to run and secure the wiring to the plugs and light fixtures. I used pvc conduit in my other shop but I believe it would sag or droop between studs I may have to use EMT but I'm not good with the bending process.

/ New Metal shop #2  
Can you make a wire chase to support the wires and cover them for protection? On my garage walls where I didn't want the wires behind the osb exterior walls, I just ran romex across the walls/studs. Then put a 2" x 2" under and above the wires and covered all of it with osb that I can remove and add another circuit if needed. Electrical inspector made no comment about it. Jon

/ New Metal shop
Thanks for the reply, I have been doing a little research and it is surprising how close metal EMT and PVC conduit are in price.

/ New Metal shop
If it was me, I would run a 2x6 along the wall and attack the grey pvc conduit to the 2x6.

…and run your airlines on the underside.
I been thinking a long those same lines. I dug out for the concrete yesterday and I am going to get some gravel and then call my concrete guys but I am already planning the inside of the building.

/ New Metal shop #7  
Do you have a link to the kit?

/ New Metal shop
Do you have a link to the kit?
No but it is just a basic garage type. building.jpg This is not it but it is similar

/ New Metal shop #9  
Finished mine with 2x4's along walls on 24" centers and sheathing. All wiring is inside the studs.. ceiling isn't finished yet but wiring for lights is metal conduit.

/ New Metal shop #10  
Had about a 20x20 3 sided carport added to my existing barn over the existing slab which used to be a green house. It's now my "wood working area" Ran steel conduit over osb, also ran a small piece of steel flex to the existing breaker box in existing barn they do make conduit benders, originally thought of running Romex inside using the ribs of the steel sheets as raceways thought about it went a different route, also thought about plastic conduit steel is better imo especially when it's exposed and probably code, ran 2x3s so the osb would end and start on something fastened osb with self tapping steel stud drywall screws, no problems for 4 yrs now.

Attachments

• KIMG1276.JPG
    KIMG1276.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 151
  • KIMG1273.JPG
    KIMG1273.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 162
  • KIMG1275.JPG
    KIMG1275.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 149
  • KIMG1272.JPG
    KIMG1272.JPG