Must Tractor ROPS Be So High?

/ Must Tractor ROPS Be So High? #41  
There must be some latitude in the ROPS design height. I had both a Kubota open station L6060hst and a L6060hstc cabbed version. The hst ROPS version wouldn't clear my 8' garage door but the hstc with cab clears with 2 inches to spare.

The hstc weighs slightly more than the hst so perhaps the ROPS height is determined in part by tractor weight?

/ Must Tractor ROPS Be So High? #42  
There must be some latitude in the ROPS design height. I had both a Kubota open station L6060hst and a L6060hstc cabbed version. The hst ROPS version wouldn't clear my 8' garage door but the hstc with cab clears with 2 inches to spare.

The hstc weighs slightly more than the hst so perhaps the ROPS height is determined in part by tractor weight?
I would not doubt this be one factor or at least for tube wall thickness.

/ Must Tractor ROPS Be So High? #43  
If a given model has an optional Backhoe the ROPS must be tall.
That figures. Must also apply to rear tires....2450# per 12x16.5 R4 tire for a tractor weighing 1800#. Might as well do as the cave man did...roll on rocks!

/ Must Tractor ROPS Be So High? #44  
I came within a hairs breath of "customizing" one of my carport stalls headboard. Stopped about six inches short of contact. Easy solution for me. Move tractor over to my really tall carport.
View attachment 731695
That’s a more appropriate storage area for a tractor. Garages are for cars and Christmas decorations.

/ Must Tractor ROPS Be So High? #46  
I wonder what the connection is between back hoe and ROPS height, that's interesting. I ended up raising my barn's rafters so I could back the Kubota in without folding the ROPS, but I sometimes put it in the garage so I can plow straight out when a big storm is coming. For that of course I have to fold it. Not a big deal, but it's better to not have to do it.

/ Must Tractor ROPS Be So High? #47  
With the tires properly inflated, the ROPS *just* brushes the weather seal on my 8' roll-up door. If the tires are a bit low, there's no contact. Easy way to determine correct tire pressure ;-)

I ALWAYS!!! wear my seatbelt. Problem is that if you need it, there isn't time to fasten it. Kinda like a motorcycle helmet - you don't have time to go buy one when the need suddenly arises.

Some years ago, I was teaching at a flight school which had about 20 Cessna 150s. Turns out I am exactly the right height to walk under the wing (outboard of the strut - you only make that mistake once) and the wing does not touch my (bald) head. I'd walk out on the ramp and if the lower wing skin brushed my head, I'd point to the tire and say "That tire's low." They'd measure it and it was, to the total and complete amazement of the students. I developed quite a reputation there, geez, this guy knows EVERYTHING (not totally true, but I do know a lot) and they never caught on. Now it can be told ;-)

Best Regards,

Mike/Florida

/ Must Tractor ROPS Be So High? #48  
They didn't used to be as high. My 2009 JD 3005 easily backs through my 7 foot garage door (see my icon). My 2004 Kubota B2710 just barely clears it. Neither of those fold. The one on my 2020 Kubota B2610 sticks about a foot above the garage frame, fortunately it folds.

/ Must Tractor ROPS Be So High? #49  
When I build my shed, I put a rolling door on and 9' height. No need to fold.
DSC_0177.jpg
DSC_0167S.jpg

Last edited:
   / Must Tractor ROPS Be So High? #50  
I am not judging anyone here it is your tractor. Maybe it is safe for you to do it.
Personally, I would not recommend it to others as they might not be as experienced, live on a hillside, or destroy their tractor because they didn't understand that cutting the ROPS is a bad idea. If you disagree, please call your insurance agent and ask.

Due to potential lawsuits, I doubt they pick a random height and call it a day.
They would have to have data backed by studies to show they did their due diligence when a lawsuit comes along. I agree that it is a height to protect both operator and tractor to reduce rollovers that crush the operator.
I think my tractor has stickers all over it. The ROPS also it's share of stickers. I also think one of them states any modification (cutting or drilling) voids all warranties and
nullifies safety assurances. Or something to that effect. The layman's meaning is basically this - If you did it, you are on your own. No need to tell us about it.