Might be getting back into a Yanmar

/ Might be getting back into a Yanmar #61  
Oh I bet the other forum member is happy too! :)
First of all Johndeere3720 is a class act! Great guy to deal with and extremely talented! Highly recommend him and his work!

Love the tractor...but had a setback. I'm a novice user and with the hills here, want to add a roll bar to the YM186D for extra sanity check and safety, especially for my teenage boys to drive.

I had already seen that Hoye and Fredericks sold them and figured it would be OK to buy the tractor as roll bars were readily available (so I thought). Went to place an order and out of stock. No problem I think, but alas, they had a ROPS mfg build 50 only and all have sold out. I called the mfg and the tooling is long gone, no more production samples. Fredericks and Hoye have no plans to order anymore.

I then started hitting the salvage market. Found Farmland down in Tangent, OR near me had a 186D with a roll bar. Great I thought, but they wont sell it to me because the original nursery owner modified it.

Found a Gray market supplier next state over "Tractor Co" that was selling 1510D's (gray version of the 186D I believe) with some sort of ROPS on them. I asked the guy if he would just sell me a ROPS, but have not heard back. He did say probably not worth it for him, but to send him an email with the request anyways.

Supposedly Hercules via justtractorparts.com has a 1500 series ROPS that might work. http://justtractorparts.com/rolloverprotectionstructuresropsforyanmarymseriestractors.aspx but they have not called me back...said they are going out of business, but still plan to sell manuals and ROPS. That is my last hope.

I left a message with Yanmar corporate to see what can be done, as this was a US model that had the ROPS as an option. I heard that John Deere started making ROPS for older 650, 750, 850 models and selling them, maybe Yanmar might someday follow suit.

I am going to keep looking at the salvage market. You never know what is out there. I am sure I can become comfortable driving it without the ROPS, but such a fairly straightforward piece of equipment seems like a no brainer if easily obtainable. I would not let my boys drive it without a ROPS though.

Not sure of my plan right now...the machine may end up in new hands that lives on flat land or with a more experienced operator. It is such a nice machine! I would just be more comfortable as a novice to have a ROPS.

Any thoughts, suggestions or input would be appreciated.

Thank you!

/ Might be getting back into a Yanmar #62  
First of all Johndeere3720 is a class act! Great guy to deal with and extremely talented! Highly recommend him and his work!

Love the tractor...but had a setback. I'm a novice user and with the hills here, want to add a roll bar to the YM186D for extra sanity check and safety, especially for my teenage boys to drive.

I had already seen that Hoye and Fredericks sold them and figured it would be OK to buy the tractor as roll bars were readily available (so I thought). Went to place an order and out of stock. No problem I think, but alas, they had a ROPS mfg build 50 only and all have sold out. I called the mfg and the tooling is long gone, no more production samples. Fredericks and Hoye have no plans to order anymore.

I then started hitting the salvage market. Found Farmland down in Tangent, OR near me had a 186D with a roll bar. Great I thought, but they wont sell it to me because the original nursery owner modified it.

Found a Gray market supplier next state over "Tractor Co" that was selling 1510D's (gray version of the 186D I believe) with some sort of ROPS on them. I asked the guy if he would just sell me a ROPS, but have not heard back. He did say probably not worth it for him, but to send him an email with the request anyways.

Supposedly Hercules via justtractorparts.com has a 1500 series ROPS that might work. Roll Over Protection Structures / ROPS for Yanmar YM Series tractors but they have not called me back...said they are going out of business, but still plan to sell manuals and ROPS. That is my last hope.

I left a message with Yanmar corporate to see what can be done, as this was a US model that had the ROPS as an option. I heard that John Deere started making ROPS for older 650, 750, 850 models and selling them, maybe Yanmar might someday follow suit.

I am going to keep looking at the salvage market. You never know what is out there. I am sure I can become comfortable driving it without the ROPS, but such a fairly straightforward piece of equipment seems like a no brainer if easily obtainable. I would not let my boys drive it without a ROPS though.

Not sure of my plan right now...the machine may end up in new hands that lives on flat land or with a more experienced operator. It is such a nice machine! I would just be more comfortable as a novice to have a ROPS.

Any thoughts, suggestions or input would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Hercules is based out of AU (down under). They too were near bankruptcy a few years back. They pulled out of the USA around 2016-ish and only a few places could order and have them shipped here.

I've ALWAYS stressed to people NOT to modify ROPS. Sure, using U-bolts and brackets work, but no drilling.

The John Deere ROPS for the 50 Series were not foldable types like the Custom Products who makes them for Fredricks and then to Hoye.

In a pinch people have made their own. The only issue is, it has no real rating if it's overkill or under to kill in a rollover or other type of accident event.

Have you reached out to ALL STATES with 10 salvage yards across the USA?

Why people take ROPS off and scrap them is beyond me. It adds resell value to the machine overall.

With the network here on TBN and the Yanmar Tractor Owners group, I bet a ROPS can be found. It could take a bit of leg work of time though.

In the mean time look at this . . .
$15
$120 (ouch)
Yanmar RB186 ROPS YM186-2 YM186-4 Tractor Install Operator Maintenance Manual | eBay
1623188991369.png

/ Might be getting back into a Yanmar #63  
Fredricks has this on their site for an OE ROPS type system.

IF you had to DIY, some of the ZERO-TURN and other machines would have something very close for the top section. The bottom section looks more like thick SQ tube with welded plates.

1623189640979.png

If it was a JD version, it would just be one solid goal post setup in GREEN. This one is a mere $175+shipping. You would need to take measurements. ;)
john deere F911 ROLL BAR ROPS f910 F932 F-935 F-912 | eBay

1623189820352.png

/ Might be getting back into a Yanmar #64  

bmaverick, thanks for the encouragement, I will keep looking. I may post a want ad here on TBN to get the word out. Is there an appropriate place for that?​

It is too bad the Farmland outfit would not sell me the modified ones, that would be something to start with to fab something.​

/ Might be getting back into a Yanmar #65  
if you're saying a 1500 may work, why not check with fredricks to see if they have a 1500 series ROPS they would sell you ?

/ Might be getting back into a Yanmar #66  
if you're saying a 1500 may work, why not check with fredricks to see if they have a 1500 series ROPS they would sell you ?
That is the for the family-2 ROPS which is out of stock and no plans for new production. It is for both 1510 and 186.

/ Might be getting back into a Yanmar #67  

bmaverick, thanks for the encouragement, I will keep looking. I may post a want ad here on TBN to get the word out. Is there an appropriate place for that?​

It is too bad the Farmland outfit would not sell me the modified ones, that would be something to start with to fab something.​

Here are a few ROPS for Yanmars . . .

rops003.gif

This is from the early 2000s when the Yanmar Tractor Owners Group was on Yahoo. We moved to GroupsIO in 2019 . . . .

Pict0097.JPG

Pict0112.JPG

Pict0132.JPG

Pict0134.JPG

Pict0128.JPG

Right ROPS mount_85072531.jpg

/ Might be getting back into a Yanmar #68  
That is the for the family-2 ROPS which is out of stock and no plans for new production. It is for both 1510 and 186.

Here is the install for the Fredricks' ROPS made by Custom Products. The images would help and the 2D drawings.

Attachments

• RF2.pdf
    521.9 KB · Views: 79
   / Might be getting back into a Yanmar #69  

Found a Yanmar OE red machine with OE ROPS. Surprised to notice that the ROPS are also made by . . . Custom Products from even back then!
DD7331E.jpg

DD7331ZA.jpg

It mounts very similar to the JD green one I had posted earlier. hmmmm Yanmar and John Deere have a looooong history together.
DD7331ZP.jpg

/ Might be getting back into a Yanmar #70  
bmaverick, I actually called that manufacturer enquiring about the custom ROPS that Fredericks had them design (Family 2 ROPS). The mfg. said the tooling is gone and can not make them. We do have rapid prototyping technologies now that you could laser cut the steel and weld together that you could get around the hard tooling.

It is hard to believe Custom Products did the original design back in the 80's. I suppose tooling from the 80's is long gone too! Talk about re-inventing the wheel. The whole history is fascinating.

There are three holes on each side of the rear end housing that are tapped where it mounts. I wonder if a John Deere 650 ROPS could be modified to work?