Might be getting back into a Yanmar

/ Might be getting back into a Yanmar #71  
bmaverick, I actually called that manufacturer enquiring about the custom ROPS that Fredericks had them design (Family 2 ROPS). The mfg. said the tooling is gone and can not make them. We do have rapid prototyping technologies now that you could laser cut the steel and weld together that you could get around the hard tooling.

It is hard to believe Custom Products did the original design back in the 80's. I suppose tooling from the 80's is long gone too! Talk about re-inventing the wheel. The whole history is fascinating.

There are three holes on each side of the rear end housing that are tapped where it mounts. I wonder if a John Deere 650 ROPS could be modified to work?

Possible.

And I did attach the YM1510 install manual.

The SAME machines that can BEND custom mufflers can also bend and shape a ROPS. Some of the ROPS out on the left coast are round tube and not the SQ type. So, this is a possibility too. Thus, take the Fredricks'/CP drawing and see if something can be formed. There is enough images here and you have the machine to measure to be successful now.

It would be nice if someone does have a YM1510 or YM186 ROPs on a machine to take measurements.

Amazing how tooling can just get tossed. I really don't understand it in the USA. It costs more than 50K at times for a medium prog die and after the end of production run it's scrapped. A toss away society that ignores the real meaning of recycle by refab or retrofits.

Keep us posted on your endeavors with the ROPs. The machine is a nice one. Hate for you to loose it.

Last edited:
   / Might be getting back into a Yanmar #72  
Maybe try the place with the modified rops again....
Explain to them that you want it for a yard art project on a machine that will never be operational....

They'll know it isn't true but may consider an email to that effect enough to mitigate their liability....

Just a thought

/ Might be getting back into a Yanmar #73  
Maybe try the place with the modified rops again....
Explain to them that you want it for a yard art project on a machine that will never be operational....

They'll know it isn't true but may consider an email to that effect enough to mitigate their liability....

Just a thought
That is actually a good idea. I might try that. I just need to talk to the boss this time.

/ Might be getting back into a Yanmar #74  
If you have to fabricate a ROPS from scratch - Here's my thread installing the YM2000/YM240 Custom Products/Fredricks ROPS, with photos showing how it attaches. Note that it bolts to the back of the transmission for strength as well as to the axles.

And a comment on what you can do now: On my YM186D I mounted the wheels outboard of the axle flanges - after sanding the flanges flat on a bench belt sander. It urned out they were near flat and it was mostly just paint that came off. And I added wheel weights that were large enough to be mostly external to the wheels. My description:

I think both of these measures improved stability. But don't turn the front wheels over to extend outward. That stresses the outer wheel bearings. And anyway the tractor will already be on its way over before the hinged front axle hits its stops.

Last edited:
   / Might be getting back into a Yanmar
Cpy911 I think Ive got what you’re looking for. I’ll fill everyone else in. Today I went down to farmland tractor in Albany, OR to get a driveshaft tube for my 226D. When I got there I asked if I could see everything they had for Yanmars since there were a couple other things I wouldn’t mind getting such as ROPS for my 226D as well as the side panels that sit below the hood. Everything they had would fit on about 3 pallets and covered a number of models (155, 169, 186, 187, 226, 336). For those wondering they had more 155 parts than anything. Nonetheless upon browsing out in the yard I found a set of ROPS that definitely came off a Yanmar and I bought them even though they didn’t have any markings indicating what model they were off of. Now that I’m back at the shop it’s becoming more and more clear these are the ROPS for a 186. Ironically enough I’m doing some brush cutting for Cpy911 next week so as long as the dimensions I texted him match his tractor I think I’ve got his ROPS search coming to a close.

IMG_0014.JPG

IMG_0015.JPG

IMG_0011.JPG

Last picture shows the pallet with the most Yanmar parts in the salvage yard. Please contact Farmland Tractor in Albany, OR if you see a part in the picture that you need. (Picture taken 7/8/21. Phone is acting up so there’s also a picture of my 226 in it’s current state.

IMG_0016.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0012.JPG
    IMG_0012.JPG
    557.6 KB · Views: 63
   / Might be getting back into a Yanmar #76  
Ironically enough I’m doing some brush cutting for Cpy911 next week so as long as the dimensions I texted him match his tractor I think I’ve got his ROPS search coming to a close.

View attachment 705152

AWESOME.

But WAIT, now you are going to make him look everywhere for the official Yanmar tool box that fits in the ROPS holder right there. :ROFLMAO:

Would this one fit ???

1625783553793.png

/ Might be getting back into a Yanmar
   / Might be getting back into a Yanmar #78  
Johndeere3720 came over last week to run his Bobcat T62 + brush hog over a lot of blackberries on the property we bought last year. He got a lot of the brush down to a level where the little Yanmar 186D can maintain it with a rotary cutter.

The roll bar he found is indeed the original factory ROPS. It is missing a couple small brackets, fasteners and needs a strip and paint job, but it is SOLID. Will post pics of progress.

Last edited:
   / Might be getting back into a Yanmar #79  
Got out the flapper disc to see what might happen...I think it might work. A little bit of naval jelly and some steel wool should finish off the tight spots. I am thinking of painting it Yanmar red.
IMG_5563.jpg

IMG_5564.jpg

IMG_5565.jpg

/ Might be getting back into a Yanmar #80