Massive storm clean up

/ Massive storm clean up #91  
I’ve been working on a 1300 foot driveway clearing project. Having working ac in the trackhoe would really be nice this week. I wish we could do underground electric. It’s maybe 30ft wide in that picture and has to be 50 ft to accommodate overhead wires.

Attachments

• IMG_5318.JPG
    IMG_5318.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 82
   / Massive storm clean up #92  
IMG_1371.JPG

Agree the Husqvarna fuel/oil containers are great for this type of work. When I got mine the dealers couldn’t sell them because the orange color didn’t meet US regulations for gas but could find them thru global importers like Amazon.

Massive cleanup, high hazard work, professional progress.

/ Massive storm clean up
Friday was another good day. We are starting to see the clean up of this area get to the point where it feels like it’s under control. There are 3 other clean up zones that haven’t been touched yet. Owner still deciding what they want to do with them.
We nicknamed this area as the “pine grove” clean up zone.

We have gotten to the bottom of the hillside. Towards the bottom, you see the tree line where it turns to Cherry, poplar and other hardwoods. In the opening to the right was all 100+ year old white pines.

1693050672541.jpeg

The Cat 315 has been a great tool for finishing off trees rather than cutting them all the way through with a saw.
Especially lopsided crooked trees and you have no way of knowing which way they will fall.
1693050943995.jpeg

The pine grove debris field is probably about 8 acres of complete destruction.
As you can see, getting rid of the trees is just the beginning. We have mountains of branches & tree tops to handle as well as the logs.

1693051094024.jpeg

I estimate we have cut down over 75 trees at this point.

1693051161029.jpeg

I have no idea what will become of the stumps. The head grounds keeper said leave them high so they are visible. I may have future work with a self propelled stump grinder……

Last edited:
   / Massive storm clean up #94  
Maybe he is thinking about pushing the stumps out with a dozer?

/ Massive storm clean up #95  
Friday was another good day. We are starting to see the clean up of this area get to the point where it feels like it’s under control. There are 3 other clean up zones that haven’t been touched yet. Owner still deciding what they want to do with them.
We nicknamed this area as the “pine grove” clean up zone.

We have gotten to the bottom of the hillside. Towards the bottom, you see the tree line where it turns to Cherry, poplar and other hardwoods. In the opening to the right was all 100+ year old white pines.

View attachment 818020

The Cat 315 has been a great tool for finishing off trees rather than cutting them all the way through with a saw.
Especially lopsided crooked trees and you have no way of knowing which way they will fall.
View attachment 818021

The pine grove debris field is probably about 8 acres of complete destruction.
As you can see, getting rid of the trees is just the beginning. We have mountains of branches & tree tops to handle as well as the logs.

View attachment 818022

I estimate we have cut down over 75 trees at this point.

View attachment 818023

I have no idea what will become of the stumps. The head grounds keeper said leave them high so they are visible. I may have future work with a self propelled stump grinder……
I’m not a tree hugger, but it is sad to see so many go due to storm damage. Looks like you guys are knocking it out pretty quick for such a small crew though!

/ Massive storm clean up
I’m not a tree hugger, but it is sad to see so many go due to storm damage. Looks like you guys are knocking it out pretty quick for such a small crew though!
I know, right?
Took 100 years to grow and gone in minutes.
They would die if we left them standing and visually, it looks terrible.
In a sad sort of way, the severly damaged trees look better gone.

Last edited:
   / Massive storm clean up
Ran into a huge nest of bald face hornets.

1693062599764.jpeg

/ Massive storm clean up #99  
Ran into a huge nest of bald face hornets.

View attachment 818057
Hope they didn't connect! Almost lost a friend when he was in a tight spot, front glass on his Kubota mini raised and bumped into a nest like that. He was trapped in the cab until he could paddle back to a spot where he had enough room to jump free. By the time I got to him he was on his hands and knees almost out of it, got an ambulance ride and a night in the hospital, he didn't even remember me being there.

/ Massive storm clean up
yeah those baldies are scary