Massive storm clean up

/ Massive storm clean up #181  
Need suggestions on “style” of grapple. I’d like something that can open really wide and “bite” into the side of the piles and really get a bunch at once.
My Monster Grapple opens to 51" Monster Root Grapple

P4110001.JPG
P4110003.JPG

P6100014.JPG
P6100019.JPG

/ Massive storm clean up #182  
Hah, I’ve been asked that question 100 times.

No, they won’t allow it. They’re strange in their ways, but a wealthy and continuous customer.
Ya YF, quite a few of us has asked the same ? . . . 🤔 :)

/ Massive storm clean up
I like that grapple. Link says “limited to 75HP“

/ Massive storm clean up #185  
I was offered an alternative to chipping the brush piles that might work.

On the 128 acre property there’s a long “ravine”. It’s probably 1000’ long x 40’ wide x 8’ deep. Its actually an abandoned logging road that cut through the property. Hasn’t been used for many years. New road took its’ place.
The chief groundskeeper told me the owner thinks she would be satisfied if we push/transport all the piles of brush into the old ravine road and just fill it up.

I don’t like it. Feels like it‘s not the best land stewardship, but it’s not my property or money, either.

This ravine already has a lot of fallen & piled brush/large branches along it.

My thoughts were as follows:

1. Rent bulldozer and push aforementioned brush & large branches into ravine.
2. With remaining room left in ravine, transport other brush piles to ravine and push into it with dozer.

I only have a single arm log grapple to move the further away brush piles. Great for logs, but not the best for massive piles of fine, tangled-up brush.
Might need to buy a big brush grapple. Too long on a distance to push with dozer (probably 1/4-1/2 mile distance from ravine).

Need suggestions on “style” of grapple. I’d like something that can open really wide and “bite” into the side of the piles and really get a bunch at once. Gonna look for a used one on FBN.

Below is a sample pile. You can see another one about 1000’ behind it. There’s 5 more bigger than these.
Thoughts on brush grapple type?

View attachment 847778
I don’t know if you have access to one, but what most of our logging contractors use for slash piling is a brush rake on their dozers. They remove the blade and install the “brush bar” in the front of the dozer. It works pretty well to push slash without moving dirt.

/ Massive storm clean up
I can’t get one for the rental, but could get one for the farm tractor.

/ Massive storm clean up #187  
I can’t get one for the rental, but could get one for the farm tractor.
I think the loggers I have worked with do a bit of fabrication to make those brush rakes. Maybe a rake to replace the loader bucket?

/ Massive storm clean up #189  
We have a ravine over on one farm that we have been pushing brush into for several years. It is on some clay ground and washes quite easily at times. We actually pushed about 3 feet of dirt out on some of the shallow end of the ravine several years ago to take the sharp point out of the hay field. It has never really stopped settling and every few years it will develop a water passage and rut that we have to fill in. The brush will slowly decompose and constantly settle but it really doesn't look to bad. It will actually green up at times from weeds and grass growing up on the little patches of dirt accumulating on the matted brush.

/ Massive storm clean up #190  
I wouldn’t worry about getting a rake for the planned use. It’s easy to push brush across the ground with the blade.
IMG_6547.JPG