Land clearing progress and next step advise

/ Land clearing progress and next step advise #1  

BlackstoneFarmSouth

Tractor
Kubota MX5400 HSTC
So my father-in-law gave my wife and I about 8 acres as a future house site and this past august I bought a Kubota MX5400 to start clearing it with hopes to build a house within the next two years or so.

IMG_3684.JPG

I’ve never owned a tractor but have some experience operating them after working for a farm/landscaping company after high school. This property had cows on it approximately 15 years ago but neglected land in southern Louisiana quickly gets out of hand and that was the case with this property, a few mature oaks and gum trees but mostly youpon, tallow trees, and briars so thick you couldn’t see much less walk through the woods.

IMG_4602.JPG

I talked to several companies about forestry mulching/bulldozing/excavating but with prices between $10-20k and not being in any rush I decided to get the tractor I would eventually buy for the farm and just start picking away at the mess myself. Most of the undergrowth was between 1-4 inches so I bought a heavy duty 66” quick attach brush thrasher and man was I not disappointed, that thing made quick work of everything I put behind it and has held up beautifully. Last month I bought their 60” quick claw grapple because I’d been so happy with the brush cutter and needed something to clear the trees to big for the cutter.

IMG_4537.JPG

Now 5 months after starting the majority of the land is “cleared” leaving only the mature trees left that I will selectively cut where needed.

IMG_4580.jpg

To have accomplished so much in such a short time has been far beyond my expectations and I feel accomplished and a sense of pride having done it myself. This brings me to my next phase though, the ground is terribly uneven with divots and bumps ranging from 1-3’ in height. It actually has a natural slope to a Ditch so I don’t need to shape/contour the land as much as I just need to smoothen it out. If this was pasture, it would be one thing but this is recently cleared forest that had dense undergrowth with small stumps and roots systems left behind by the brush cutter. I know the right answer is to hire it out as a bulldozer would make short work of it in a couple hours but having come this far myself I have this completely illogical desire to finish it myself. We’re still a year or two from building the house and at that point we’ll need the dozer to come build up the house pad and we’re going to have a pond dug but I want to make it nice so we can enjoy the property between now and then.

So, tractorbynet do it yourselfers, if you had to buy one implement to flatten rough, stumpy ground (no matter how illogical) what would it be? I’ve done a lot with the root grapple and it works excellent were the roots/stumps aren’t too dense but when it gets thick, the 60’ width is just too much for the tractor to muscle through. I’ve thought about a middle buster or something similar but that seems like it would be an overly tedious process to do several acres that way. I tried my very inexpensive/poorly built box blade but very quickly started bending the scarifiers. I’m wondering if a heavy duty rhino ag 850 series back blade would be worth purchasing as I have some ditching/drain work to do as well but I’ve never used one in a forested area and I’m not sure it would cut through the stumps and roots without damaging it or stalling out the tractor. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• 63043341066__B959D352-F30A-405B-8F07-95B2B1BA13EE.jpg
    63043341066__B959D352-F30A-405B-8F07-95B2B1BA13EE.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 248
Last edited:
   / Land clearing progress and next step advise #2  
8 acres as a future house site
This property had cows on it approximately 15 years ago
the ground is terribly uneven with divots and bumps ranging from 1-3 in height. It actually has a natural slope to a Ditch so I don稚 need to shape/contour the land as much as I just need to smooth it out.

In august I bought a Kubota MX5400 to start clearing it with hopes to build a house within the next two years or so.
1) 12" or 14", two bottom, Moldboard Plow PHOTO #1

VIDEO: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=compact+tractor+moldboard+plow

2) Box Frame Tandem Disc Harrow with pans 22" in diameter. PHOTO #2

VIDEO: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=compact+tractor+tandem+disc+harrow

T-B-N ARCHIVE: https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums...arrow-selection-compact.html?highlight=harrow

3) Framed Chain Harrow PHOTOS #3 - #4

VIDEO: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=compact+tractor+framed++lift+chain+harrow

T-B-N ARCHIVE: https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums...ed3pt57-tph-framed-lift.html?highlight=harrow

Animal compacted pasture is some of the hardest ground. Almost inevitably it will require plowing. Plow will cut and invert up roots and corms.

Three Point Hitch mounted Tandem Disc Harrows are the classic 'evening' implements. Weight is your friend. An MX can successfully pull an aggressively adjusted Disc Harrow with 22" diameter pans. By adjusting the Disc Harrow less aggressively in increments you can make the land acceptably smooth.

To make the land really smooth and 'clean' you need a "framed" or "lift" Chain Harrow to follow the Disc Harrow.

A "lift" Chain Harrow reliably drops 'trash' accumulated in mat, when harrow is raised and tractor moved a short distance in reverse. Self cleaning is perhaps the major advantage of framed Chain Harrows over unframed, mat Chain Harrows pulled from the tractor drawbar.

Attachments

• DSC00420.jpg
    DSC00420.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 254
  • DSC00147.jpg
    DSC00147.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 249
  • fullsizeoutput_1b5.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_1b5.jpeg
    5.6 MB · Views: 243
  • fullsizeoutput_1b4.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_1b4.jpeg
    4.7 MB · Views: 238
Last edited:
   / Land clearing progress and next step advise
Thanks for the reply Jeff, the ground isn’t as hard as you would think unless it’s very dry as our soil is high in clay. I like the plow idea though as I could see it cutting through the majority of what I need it to without issue. My concern would be catching the occasional mature tree root and breaking something on the plow, I think we actually have a two bottom plow buried in the woods around here somewhere from when he had cows. I have a big box framed disk set (18” disks) that I pulled out of the woods and rebuilt a year or two ago and I planned on using that eventually but if there’s too many roots around I end up breaking the old disks and have ready replaced a bunch of them. I need something to loosen everything up first and a plow may just be the ticket.

It’s a beast, I was nervous buying it at first because of the cost and not knowing whether it would cover my bases without me tearing it up but with almost 175 hrs on the cutter, cutting brush and trees 1-5” in diameter, it’s still flawless. Went through 3 sets of blades but they were all torn up by old metal equipment buried in the woods.

/ Land clearing progress and next step advise #6  
My concern would be catching the occasional mature tree root and breaking something on the plow, I think we actually have a two bottom plow buried in the woods around here somewhere from when he had cows. I need something to loosen everything up first and a plow may just be the ticket.

If you have hydraulic Draft Control you will not damage a moldboard plow, which Draft Control will automatically lift when plow encounters a big root or rock. Nor will you damage your MX.

Draft Control kit was a $500 option on my Kubota L3560 in 2013. Draft Control may or may not be standard on your MX. See your Operator's Manual.

T-B-N ARCHIVE: compact tractor Draft Control site:tractorbynet.com - Google Search

Last edited:
If you have hydraulic Draft Control you will not damage a moldboard plow, which Draft Control will automatically lift when plow encounters a big root or rock. Nor will you damage your MX.

Draft Control kit was a $500 option on my Kubota L3560 in 2013. Draft Control may or may not be standard on your MX. See your Operator's Manual.

T-B-N ARCHIVE: compact tractor Draft Control site:tractorbynet.com - Google Search

I unfortunately did not add the draft control option to the tractor when I bought it, it wasn’t standard and other than the occasional disking, I didn’t plan on doing much ground engaging work. I still think I could make it work by just keeping the plow shallow and taking it slow. Thanks for the quick replies and I think that is the route I will go first. I’m hoping I can find the old two bottom plow and get it up and running, if I remember right we used it a couple years ago on my brother in laws tractor to try and root out an overgrown fence row but we quickly broke the old Rusty shear pins and put it aside. It may be worth just buying a new one, are there any brands you recommend that are built more robust than others?

/ Land clearing progress and next step advise #8  
I have a very old Ford plow in good condition. I have never bought a new plow.

About half of my implements are from everytfhingattachments.com. Land Pride is my #2 implement source.

LINK: Garden Tractor Plows From Everything Attachments

You can add the Draft Control bits anytime. The parts are in kit form.

/ Land clearing progress and next step advise #9  
The old draw bar pull type plows had a releasable hitch that would trip when rocks or such were hit. No hydraulic lines to worry about. If one could be found it would probably serve you well in conjunction with your disk.

Be aware that there are different moldboards for different ploughing jobs but the standard will work.

/ Land clearing progress and next step advise #10  
What you've done so far looks great, nice work.

I've converted many acres into farm land that was once timber. It's a tough process, not matter how you go about it. In your situation, I would find a heavy disc harrow with notched discs, and go at it. The more you can break down the sticks and roots, the quicker mother nature will take care of them. For really tough roots, I'd just rent a mini ex (6 ton minimum) for a weekend a pick out what you can and burn them.