Loading tires with Propylene Glycol

/ Loading tires with Propylene Glycol #1  

Wyld Bill

Silver Member
Tractor
Mahindra
Ok I am new to tractors. I just learned today what "Loaded tires" meant.
Actually I grew around & using tractors but never paid any attention to the details.
Anyways I was thinking. I get free Propylene glycol quite often through my HVAC job. Would this be good to use? I was thinking mixed deionized water to -10F or lower & then the tire filled with dry nitrogen gas instead of regular air.
What do you guys think?

/ Loading tires with Propylene Glycol #2  
That's the same stuff as in anti-freeze, so it should work. I would just use tap water and go down to 10F lower than the area gets.

jb

/ Loading tires with Propylene Glycol #3  
The drawback of using it is when you have a tire leak, (and you will!!), the stuff gets into the soil, and is a problem. Unleashed pets also tend to find it kind of tasty and it will kill them. There are safer methods, but in your case, not cheaper methods.
David from jax

/ Loading tires with Propylene Glycol #4  
I think ethylene glycol is the stuff that kills pets, while propylene glycol is relatively non-toxic.

/ Loading tires with Propylene Glycol #5  
I was thinking mixed deionized water to -10F or lower & then the tire filled with dry nitrogen gas instead of regular air.

If it is really free, why not mix it for the lowest freezing point you can get?

I can just imagine a snow storm followed by a hard freeze, and just when you want to clear your roads, you can't if you mix it for anything less.

A quick check shows that you can go to a -55 degrees F freezing point with 60% propylene glycol, and best of all, the density is slightly higher than plain water.

Not as high as a calcium chloride solution, but a whole lot less corrosive.

/ Loading tires with Propylene Glycol #6  
I think (IMHO) that propylene glycol would be a good choice vs ethylene glycol or calcium, and using nitrogen I believe should stop algae growth, etc that would normally start to grow with air. However, I would be careful about using deionized water vs drinking water. It can be very agressive on metals since there are no minerals in the water to make it stabile, and there is even a rule that you don't use it in a cooling water circuit that has stainless steel because it will corrode. I know you don't have S.S. in your wheel but it is an indication that it may not be a good thing for this application.

Bill

/ Loading tires with Propylene Glycol #7  
Last edited:
   / Loading tires with Propylene Glycol
Thanks guys. So I'll use Prop. Gylcol with straight well water.
Yeah the stuff is quite harmless. A guy at work said that he knows for a fact that they spray it on cookies as a preservative. :eek:

How much will I need for 2 27X8.5-15s & 2 15X19.5s 80 to 90% full??

/ Loading tires with Propylene Glycol #9  
And I stand corrected on the glycol mistake. I had the wrong one on my mind. Sorry for the confusion I might have caused.
David from jax

/ Loading tires with Propylene Glycol #10  
Yeah the stuff is quite harmless. A guy at work said that he knows for a fact that they spray it on cookies as a preservative.

Holy Mackerel. You obviously have a computer, know how to use the internet, and Google is free.

I would look something like that up before taking it as the gospel truth, although it is on the FDA "Generally Recognized as Safe" list as a food additive. (Which took less than a minute to discover on Google.)