Dealer charge for loading tires

/ Dealer charge for loading tires #1  

Chip Woods

Tractor
Husqvarna GT52xlsi
while attending a recent promo event at a large Kubota dealer in the area, i got a quote on a B2601 with a loader and backhoe. nothing is cheap these days but i have to say it came out to significantly less than i was expecting, with the dealer offering nearly $6k off msrp and with quite favorable financing terms.

one thing stuck out though as i was reviewing the quote later - there was a $2000 charge for "Set up load tires." i had a very good impression of the dealership, and price, before i saw that listed. but in the past, when i've seen car dealerships try to throw in that kind of charge for nitrogen in tires, i've just walked out of the place. but i haven't purchased a tractor before. am i missing something? i understand why you would want liquid in tractor tires (as opposed to nitrogen!), but at a price of $2000 i'm thinking i must look like an idiot.

/ Dealer charge for loading tires #2  
while attending a recent promo event at a large Kubota dealer in the area, i got a quote on a B2601 with a loader and backhoe. nothing is cheap these days but i have to say it came out to significantly less than i was expecting, with the dealer offering nearly $6k off msrp and with quite favorable financing terms.

one thing stuck out though as i was reviewing the quote later - there was a $2000 charge for "Set up load tires." i had a very good impression of the dealership, and price, before i saw that listed. but in the past, when i've seen car dealerships try to throw in that kind of charge for nitrogen in tires, i've just walked out of the place. but i haven't purchased a tractor before. am i missing something? i understand why you would want liquid in tractor tires (as opposed to nitrogen!), but at a price of $2000 i'm thinking i must look like an idiot.
That is excessive for filling tires. When I bought mine, I asked the dealer to fill mine as part of the deal (no extra cost). If the dealer won’t back out that charge, then decline tire ballast and take your tractor to a truck and equipment tire shop. They will fill tires for a lot less.

/ Dealer charge for loading tires #3  
I am wondering if that is their "tractor set up" fee for assembly and prep. There is a variety of ways to set up tires and rims based on your specific use of the tractor.

I have methanal in my rear tires. To add more weight, I asked for a quote from a Rim Guard dealer (closest one is about 200 miles - Called them). To remove and clean the tires and rims and refill with Rim Guard was about $250.00. My tractor is an L4701. The dealer did not charge me for loading the tires with methanal. Probably did somewhere, but not listed on the ticket.

/ Dealer charge for loading tires
thanks for the replies, that's pretty much as i expected.

/ Dealer charge for loading tires #5  
My dealer used a product named Bioballast to fill my tires. It a no corrosive alternative to calcium or Rimgard.

/ Dealer charge for loading tires #6  
Sounds like they just tossed in a charge for liquid ballast, presuming you'd want it.

Seems a little pricey, and quite presumptive, but I don't think they were intending to pull one over on you.

I'd bring it up, see if you can get the price dropped. 🤷‍♂️

/ Dealer charge for loading tires #9  
I have Rim Guard and when you said " My dealer used a product named Bioballast to fill my tires. It a no corrosive alternative to calcium or Rimgard. " I had to go to the internet and see what I did. Below is a advertisement for Rim Guard.

WHAT MAKES BEET JUICE BETTER?​

Non-ToxicNon-CorrosiveHeavy (10.7lbs/gal)-35°F Freeze PointCharacteristics
Rim Guard
Check-Circle.png
Check-Circle.png
Check-Circle.png
Check-Circle.png
Non-toxic. Non-corrosive. Heavy and weighted at traction point. No tubes or mixing required. Natural product. Environment and livestock friendly.
Calcium Chloride
X-Circle.png
X-Circle.png
Yellow-circle-with-white-dash-3.png
Check-Circle.png
Toxic. Highly corrosive. Weight varies upon person mixing it. Requires tubes. Not safe for the environment or livestock.
Methanol
X-Circle.png
X-Circle.png
X-Circle.png
X-Circle.png
Toxic, corrosive and highly flammable. Can degrade tires. Weighs 35-40% less than Beet Juice Tire Ballast. Should be mixed with water.
Windowshield Washer Fluid
X-Circle.png
X-Circle.png
X-Circle.png
X-Circle.png
Toxic to livestock. Not safe in groundwater. Corrosive. Weighs 25% less than Beet Juice Tire Ballast. Higher freeze point. Tubes needed for safety.
Water
Check-Circle.png
X-Circle.png
X-Circle.png
X-Circle.png
Non-toxic. Potential for corrosion and rust. Lighter. Freezes even in mild winter weather. Inconsistent quality and highly variable.
Exterior Weights
X-Circle.png
X-Circle.png
Empty-Circle.png
Empty-Circle.png
Changes equipment configurations and center of gravity. Takes up space on axle and frame. Most expensive per pound.

/ Dealer charge for loading tires #10  
The alternative is just to use the tires as they come. Most 4wd tractors have great traction without loading the tires. They ride nicer, and can always be loaded later if wanted. But Unloading loaded tires is more of a problem.

And then there are flats and slow leaks....fixing a nail puncture in an unloaded tractor tire is a no-brainer. Most tractor tires come mounted as tubeless, so insert sticky plug, air up, and the fix is permanent.

A leak in a loaded tire is a whole other ball game.