Lawn Tractor vs Zero Turn

/ Lawn Tractor vs Zero Turn #131  
The problem with that is it's a 'permanent' modification..will make it harder for me to drive/use, which is why I'm thinking about a slide/slip-on modification. I agree, though -- the holes in the pedal are asking for some bolts.

I'm thinking I need to add 2-3 inches.
My wife is about 5'2". She bought a "driving pillow" that she puts behind her in her SUV.

/ Lawn Tractor vs Zero Turn
My wife is about 5'2". She bought a "driving pillow" that she puts behind her in her SUV.

Good suggestion -- I bought her one of those for the Mule so she can reach the pedals on it...she used it for a bit, but at some point gave up on it. It's a possible solution here (and for the tractor) -- might just buy something and put it on there and see if she uses it.

/ Lawn Tractor vs Zero Turn #133  
The problem with that is it's a 'permanent' modification..will make it harder for me to drive/use, which is why I'm thinking about a slide/slip-on modification. I agree, though -- the holes in the pedal are asking for some bolts.

I'm thinking I need to add 2-3 inches.
And it's good to not make permanent modifications to a potential non permanent relationship. 🤣

/ Lawn Tractor vs Zero Turn #134  
Welp, decision made. Decided that stability on our hills was the most critical aspect, so went with the Cub Cadet ZTXS4 w/ 54" deck. ZT3100 transaxles, 10 gauge deck, 24hp kohler 7000-pro. 22x12-12 wheels. Gets delivered tomorrow.

A big thank you to @2manyrocks for tracking down a dealer in the area with one in stock to check out.

Now I just need to fabricate something to extend the gas pedal so my g/f can drive it comfortably....

Looking at the specs of the Cub Cadet ZTXS4 it is pretty close to my Toro Titan HD 2000. Same Kohler brand engine (25 hp) except I have a 60" deck.
You will love that zero turn and wonder how you did without it.

Had to come back to this -- mower got delivered today. With her muck boots on (with thick lugs/sole) she can mostly operate the tractor so this suggestion holds up! I still think a little additional help would be good -- maybe just buy another pedal and bolt it to the existing pedal with some spacers to buy an inch? We'll see after a few hours of mowing.

So far no issues with stability on the shallower slopes we played with this afternoon. She didn't even realize she had one of the front wheels in the air coming up and over one of the terraced parts of our pasture (and I of course was stupid enough to tell her about it :)

Wouldn't be good if the extension slipped off mid-hillside. If you were to tap or weld a nut to the inside of the tubing, it could be easily unbolted when you want to mow. Then you aren't fiddling trying to loosen or install the nuts. or weld the threaded end to the tube and put the nut on the back of the pedal, whichever makes it easier.

That's a good point about it sliding off. I had reasoned it wasn't a big deal because it just would stop moving, but if she's pointed uphill I wouldn't want her starting to roll backwards or anything.

I'll have to figure out a way to make it a trivial task to install/remove any extension. If only it could be as simple as a clamp or velcro...

/ Lawn Tractor vs Zero Turn #137  
Get two pieces of tire tread and inch or so larger than the pedal then with two bolts each side and one on top with locknuts - put enough tension to slip over the pedal tightly - you can layer them to make thicker too.

/ Lawn Tractor vs Zero Turn #138  
I have about 5 acres to mow. It's steep in a couple of areas and I also have trails through the woods. I was faced with the same problem as you. I really wanted a zero-turn for its speed, but that was the only advantage. Then when you factor in my lawn is not smooth, and I could not go really fast, that advantage was moot.

Zero-turns are really a one trick pony. They cut grass better than a tractor and are much faster. However, they are not that great on steep slopes or uneven terrain.

For these reasons I choose a tractor. I wound up with a Kubota BX2680. It mows really good and will go places the zero-turn won't. The added advantage is, can use it year-round for other chores as well.

Dave

I mow VERY steep slopes with my zero turn (ZD-331) and it is much more stable than the tractor I previously used (BX2200). As far as traction goes, yes a tractor will get better traction. But Zero turns are more stable on hillsides once you learn how to drive one.
The speed at which a zero turn can cut compared to a tractor is like comparing a sports car to walking.
As far as a “one trick pony” goes, I use my zero turn to pull a leaf vacuum.
Others use them for running a spreader. I also pull an aerator and a de-thatcher.

There’s many attachments they can run. They can do more than just mow grass.

/ Lawn Tractor vs Zero Turn #139  
I just bought a robot mower, wish me luck