Harbor Freight

/ Harbor Freight #11  
get all my consumables from the local Air products retailer and they have a compressor station where I get all my bottles filled as well.

/ Harbor Freight #12  
90% of your welding problems will be in not doing proper preparations.. Want pretty beads with penetration, practice, practice, practice.... But then I only do MIG....

Then there is this for stick junkies....

/ Harbor Freight #13  
Even with a wire machine, proper prep is tantamount to a proper and physically strong weld. Proper prep is everything, always. The brand of the machine is really inconsequential so long as it can deliver the required current for the method you are using.

/ Harbor Freight #14  
I've used the HF sticks. OK ... a little more erratic than Lincolns & the flux (7018) doesn't peel as easily. Probably because of the humidity down here. Better when they are stored bone dry. The HF 6010's don't seem as violent as the Lincoln/Hobart, but penetration seems to be equivalent. For "pretty welds", I use Lincoln on top, for stuff that works, root pass with HF 6010 covered by 7018 of whatever flavor needed for looks. I have found the HF sticks do need the end to be brushed against a file or they don't always restart as easily as Lincolns.

/ Harbor Freight #15  
I rarely stick weld any more unless it's a field repair using my engine drive in the back of the truck. Much prefer welding in the shop today.

/ Harbor Freight #16  
Back in 1990 I bought used Lincoln Idealarc SP-150, just like the one in this photo from the web.
It has served me well on all kinds on projects.

Very good welder for steel from 1 mm to 10 mm thickness.

It also came with aluminum welding setup which I have yet to use.

Lincoln_Idealarc_SP-150.jpg

/ Harbor Freight #17  
I am a novice welder, I own a nice hobart mig machine. I broke the thumb on my excavator and thought sticking it would be better since the plate is 1/2".

I bought the Titanium Stick 225 from HF. It is a 120/240V inverter style, I think it goes up to like 180 amps. I bought a couple pounds of their 7018 rod and went to town on some scrap 3/8" steel plate.

After about 12 rods I had the amperage dialed in nice and the slag was peeling off almost by itself as it cooled. Not always, but maybe 1/2 the time.

The machine ran great on my generator. I was able to fix the thumb, I did way more passes than I needed to but I've been at the lift limit of my excavator and nothing has broke or shown signs of cracking. I have never stick welded before.

I found that the HF 7018 put down a really nice bead. I did an excellent job of prepping everything, angle grinder with wire brush as well as grinding a chamfer where the pieces met so I could "infill" a bit on my first pass. The prep is important.

The 7018 was hard to restart, which I guess is the nature of that rod. In between striking arcs I would grind the rod down a bit by rubbing it on concrete or something, this made it real easy to restrike the rod.

Even though duty cycle on the machine is not great, I was able to burn two sticks in a row, in the sun on a hot day, and the thermal protection never tripped. The machine is not what you would want in a fab shop but for repairs in the field or around a farm or something, for the money, I think it is great. It is super light too! Cost is under 300 bucks. Sometimes they are on sale or their discount club card will apply.

/ Harbor Freight #18  
Back in 1990 I bought used Lincoln Idealarc SP-150, just like the one in this photo from the web.
It has served me well on all kinds on projects.

Very good welder for steel from 1 mm to 10 mm thickness.

It also came with aluminum welding setup which I have yet to use.

View attachment 756819
Back then I bought a 1989 SP-200 very similar. These were the smoothest transformer machines I have ever ran. Including dozens of other brands from the era and up to now.

/ Harbor Freight #19  
I have the Omnipro 220 welder and have used HF sticks 7018 and 6013 works fine. Its Vulcan branded. I keep the 7018 in a small rod oven so I have no idea how well it performs after sitting around.

/ Harbor Freight #20  
I have the Omnipro 220 welder and have used HF sticks 7018 and 6013 works fine. Its Vulcan branded. I keep the 7018 in a small rod oven so I have no idea how well it performs after sitting around.
They're fine out of the oven, I've used them like that plenty enough. They just loose their "low hydrogen" claim, but a dude welding at home doing the usual stuff ain't gonna see much difference.