Harbor Freight

/ Harbor Freight #1  

marhar

Gold Member
Tractor
Farm Trac 60
I am a beginner; I can stick two pieces of metal together but I do not run a nice uniform bead. Has anyone bought and used HF sticks? How did they do?

/ Harbor Freight #2  
Not a clue. If I were you I'd get Lincoln sticks. I do know that the wire HF sells is INE which is Itallian made and dang good wire.

/ Harbor Freight #3  
I am a beginner; I can stick two pieces of metal together but I do not run a nice uniform bead. Has anyone bought and used HF sticks? How did they do?
I’ve used them before. They’re ok in a pinch, but not a go to stick.

/ Harbor Freight #4  
What about the everlast welders. Seem yo be just a little more than HF.

personal I use a Hobart stickmate dc.

/ Harbor Freight #5  
Well I'm a fairly new welder as well, and I don't run nice uniform beads neither....and nearly all I ever welded with are them harbor fright rods.

/ Harbor Freight
Well I'm a fairly new welder as well, and I don't run nice uniform beads neither....and nearly all I ever welded with are them harbor fright rods.
Right now my skill is the limiting factor, not the type of welding rod I am using. And I am usually welding a small repair not fabricating a piece of equipment. All of that being said I am tempted to used a few HF rods. I have a lot more practice for my skill to exceed the rod's ability.

/ Harbor Freight #7  
I think it's other way around. It takes more skill to make a cheap rod do its thing properly and a name brand rod is more forgiving. Stays lit better, puts down smoother beads, doesn't burn holes randomly as much. I think a cheap Flux coating really makes generic rods more unpredictable.

/ Harbor Freight #8  
I bought a HF stick welder and it sticks. Not enough current flows to keep the bead going.

If I were new, I would get a wire feed welder, much easier than stick welders. Even gasless you can still get 3/8" penetration.

90% of my repairs are performed by a lincoln HD 125 gasless wire feed welder from home depot and are faster and easier than any stick welder ever will be.

/ Harbor Freight #9  
Right now my skill is the limiting factor, not the type of welding rod I am using. And I am usually welding a small repair not fabricating a piece of equipment. All of that being said I am tempted to used a few HF rods. I have a lot more practice for my skill to exceed the rod's ability.
Their 7018 seem pretty good, the nicest weld I could produce is with that rod. Hard to restart (but that's the nature of the rod), so I've used their 6013 more often.

I tried their 6011, I dunno I think I just suck on that rod, the whip and pause thing throws me off. So I don't really use that rod at all.

More on the 6013...once you stumble on 7014, 6013 is a memory. But harbor freight doesn't carry 7014, so I just ordered on Amazon. And then the other day at Tractor Supply, I wondered to their welding section and OMG but all this 7014 they got!

/ Harbor Freight #10  
Lincoln or Hobart are the best rods I ever used for general purpose welding. as for HF rods,---never tried them, so cant give opinion on them.