Glow plugs?

/ Glow plugs? #1  

sengli

Silver Member
Tractor
RK55HSC
I have had my RK55 for about a year now. It is stored in a building when not in use, so it doesnt just set outside. Anyway, even when its been cold out, dont know that I have ever seen any idiot lights or anything showing me that the glow plugs are in use. SOB tractor, the key would click to the on position, and the glow plugs ran for 10-20 seconds before it was safe to start it.

/ Glow plugs? #2  
RK tractors are built by tym , I have a tym built mahindra and it is the same way, There are other threads on here explaining how it works , I believe they have a heating system for the common rail fuel system.

/ Glow plugs?
I see in the manual it states that once the key is turned to the on, position the glow plugs light is supposed to illuminate. And to not start the engine till the dash light... goes out. In the winter when the barn was low 40's it still never came on. Its always started and ran just fine, but I was wondering if there was a faulted condition or something?

/ Glow plugs? #4  
Although manuals are generally correct the equipment may change before the manuals do. Your manual may have been printed before some changes were incorporated into the tractor. Based on 3gunr's post you may want to pop the hood and see if you even HAVE glow plugs. If the tractor starts fine in the cold weather I wouldn't worry too much about the glow plugs. Their purpose is simply to warm the engine a bit to ease starting.

/ Glow plugs? #5  
My car is the same, I found a half dozen features that were not in the manual.
One was a built in contact in the handle that unlocked the doors as long as I had the fob.
Others were anti skid, traction lock and a feature that limited downhill speed without braking.
Making it worst the owner's manual was a one inch thick affair full of specs that covered many options many which did not apply.
Guess it was a 'one size fits all' attempt.
But then some firms can make multiple changes during the same model year.

/ Glow plugs? #6  
I have had my RK55 for about a year now. It is stored in a building when not in use, so it doesnt just set outside. Anyway, even when its been cold out, dont know that I have ever seen any idiot lights or anything showing me that the glow plugs are in use. SOB tractor, the key would click to the on position, and the glow plugs ran for 10-20 seconds before it was safe to start it.
That's entirely too long for modern (e.g. post 1980ish) glow plugs. Should be 1-3 seconds in summer and about 6 in winter.

You may have air preheat.

/ Glow plugs? #7  
On my TYM, you turn the key left to engage the glow plugs, the left hand position is momentary and once the relay engages, and you release the key it comes back to the off position. The relay is latched and stays engaged until the engine temp comes up. Which disengages the relay and the light goes out. At that point you turn the key to the right to start the tractor.

/ Glow plugs? #8  
sengli, my RK37 is the same way. If I turn my ignition on the panel lights up verifying that the indicators are working and the glow plug indicator lights up but that is the only time it does. Turning the key to the left initially does nothing. Same thing with the parking brake indicator. Only illuminates during initial functional check of indicators. I asked others a while back how theirs worked and all responded theirs is the same. I have looked at te RK website parts listing and glow plugs are there. Never had any issues starting even with temps in the low 30's. Guess I could check this winter to see if there is voltage at the glow plugs connectors initially to see if they are even in play.......Don

/ Glow plugs? #9  
The glow plug light on the RK55 only illuminates during the initial key turn to the “ON” position. The light illuminates for approx 3-4 seconds and then blinks out. You can hear the glow plugs operating even after the light goes out, so I’m not sure it’s even tied to their operation, like some of the other lights in the dash. I always turn my key to the on position, then wait for all lights to go out except for the oil, battery, and parking brake lights, then I turn the key to the start position.

/ Glow plugs? #10  
Just picked up my RK55 Monday and haven't noticed the glow plug light yet. I have a 40 year old MF1040 whose glow plugs are activated by turning key counterclockwise till they warm up then turn clockwise past off, to on, then start. Glow plugs are needed for 10-15 sec. in summer and 30-45 in winter. I have 40 year old JD450D dozer that doesn't have glow plugs, but instead has remote ether injection. It didn't work when i bought it and I've never needed it. Dozer starts right up with no aids summer and winter.