Buying Advice First time on 5 acres - tractor selection?

/ First time on 5 acres - tractor selection? #81  
MossRoad, I tend to agree with your assessment with one difference. As you mentioned a used BH appears to be worth around $5k, so instead of calculating the hours based on $7k, should it not be calculated abased on $2k? That changes it quite a bit to 5.5 weekends of rental. I still would not buy the BH for my specific purposes but only the OP knows how it fits in their plan. Lots of ways to look at it.

No because that assumes you are going to sell, can sell it, and an assumed value, to be frank I never heard of anybody buying one used, usually only find them on trades in..

/ First time on 5 acres - tractor selection? #82  
MossRoad, I tend to agree with your assessment with one difference. As you mentioned a used BH appears to be worth around $5k, so instead of calculating the hours based on $7k, should it not be calculated abased on $2k? That changes it quite a bit to 5.5 weekends of rental. I still would not buy the BH for my specific purposes but only the OP knows how it fits in their plan. Lots of ways to look at it.

On $7K or $5K, yes, base it on what you can get it for. Also consider resale value if you are the type to buy and sell. Many people do. I don't very often (1993 Suburban, 2001 tractor). Good luck trying to find a used one, though. They are few and far between.

/ First time on 5 acres - tractor selection? #83  
Auction up to $5K
https://www.auctiontime.com/listings/construction-attachment/auctions/online/28819477/kubota-bh77

New $8.5K
218 Kubota BH77 BH77 | Scholten's Equipment

5 of them all "call for price"
https://www.tractorhouse.com/listings/farm-equipment/for-sale/list/manufacturer/kubota/model/bh77

call for price
https://www.firstchoicekubota.com/i.../30471661/2019-kubota-bh77?dlr=1&pcid=3139953

You get the drill. They are few and far between as a stand alone unit.

Anyhow, if one can afford it and wants it, get it. There's other options out there that can cost significantly less over time.

/ First time on 5 acres - tractor selection? #84  
Yes, I agree, if you want one and can afford it buy it. I have been known to buy things for a specific purpose and then sell later to recoup some of my $$. Works ok as long as you are willing to part with the item. Have some friends who are always asking "How could you sell it? I would not want to let it go." If I'm not using it and someone wants it for a good price I'm good with that, if not I might need it again some day. On the BH, personally I just don't need one so would not buy one for myself but do understand others who want one.

/ First time on 5 acres - tractor selection? #85  
I paid $5200 for my backhoe brand new in 2003 (included sub frame and 18" bucket)
8 1/2" digging depth, 11 foot reach.
Its done a whole bunch of work for me the past 16 years, and I could likely get a good portion of my money back if I ever wanted to sell. (which I won't. If I need it, it can be mounted and ready to dig in 10 minutes)

Attachments

• HPIM0992.JPG
    HPIM0992.JPG
    942 KB · Views: 85
   / First time on 5 acres - tractor selection? #86  
It is easy to determine if I want something. It takes more analysis to determine if I need it and can justify it.

I use spreadsheets a lot. Cost to own, rent, or contract the work.

Lots of good info here to sort through.

/ First time on 5 acres - tractor selection? #87  
It is easy to determine if I want something. It takes more analysis to determine if I need it and can justify it.

I use spreadsheets a lot. Cost to own, rent, or contract the work.

Lots of good info here to sort through.

You dont always have to justify something, something as easy as getting ice cream, I dont need it but I really want it. But where I think at least attempting to justify it is with capitol or expensive purchases, house, cars, expensive items etc. Many fail at this, and will end up not be able to buy something they need because they had to have a 7k back hoe, or a boat or something else.

Cost to own then comparing it to renting, hiring out, borrowing something etc can be a very worthwhile task. But when you do rent to own you have to figure purchase price to include tax, interest on that purchase, insurance, fuel, maint etc. Many guys really fail to see the big picture, if they could get beyond the fact of they want it or they "own" it outright, purchasing vs renting on a lot of items really doesnt make sense at least financially.

/ First time on 5 acres - tractor selection? #88  
Many fail at this, and will end up not be able to buy something they need because they had to have a 7k back hoe, or a boat or something else.
Now lets not be silly here,,,, boats are as much of a requirement to own, if not more, than a tractor for some of us. My backyard needs no mowing, weeding, spraying, watering or fertilizing which leaves time for fishing and crabbing. :thumbsup:

/ First time on 5 acres - tractor selection? #89  
Now lets not be silly here,,,, boats are as much of a requirement to own, if not more, than a tractor for some of us. My backyard needs no mowing, weeding, spraying, watering or fertilizing which leaves time for fishing and crabbing. :thumbsup:

Speaking of back yards and boats, my back yard at my home.
65956EE8-F9F0-4E6E-8846-8BC81969BD25.jpg

My GC1705 has so far proven to be a good choice for my 6 acres of cleared land(12.7 total acres).
E90D1D29-AAF6-455C-BC35-4257886396AD.jpeg

Jim.

/ First time on 5 acres - tractor selection? #90  
Speaking of back yards and boats, my back yard at my home.

My GC1705 has so far proven to be a good choice for my 6 acres of cleared land(12.7 total acres).

Jim.

Very nice. Are you not able to use the hook on the quick attach for the upper point or is it a preference not to? I am still on the fence on getting a quick hitch.