Excavator control patterns

/ Excavator control patterns #1  

sreeb

Tractor
Cub Cadet 7305
I just suffered a brief bout ebay madness and now find myself owning a mini excavator. I have basicly no experience running one.

The controls can be set to either "ISO" or "JCB". Is there advantage to one either in ease of use or popularity if I someday want to rent a bigger one?

Ed

/ Excavator control patterns #2  
What did you buy, Ed? Did you buy sight-unseen and it is being
shipped? How has that worked out? I have sold equipment on eBay
over the years, but I recently made my first sight-unseen vehicle
purchase---a car I had shipped from St Louis.

As for the control standards, I am sure you will get used to whatever
you spend time with....I did not know JCB was different from ISO, the
"international standard". And is Caterpiller different from either?

/ Excavator control patterns #3  
It is totally which your prefer.

/ Excavator control patterns #4  
I would suggest you learn with the ISO controls . I did it the other way around as the first ex. i bought was different to ISO . When i bought my new ex. it was ISO , i had to UNLEARN and then relearn . It was harder than giving up smoking , when the truck driver delivered the new machine he asked me to unload it off of the trailer . I told him to stay clear so i didn't kill him , he must have thought i was Epileptic the way i was operating it . :D

/ Excavator control patterns
What did you buy, Ed? Did you buy sight-unseen and it is being
shipped? How has that worked out?

Takeuchi TB016, 2003, 1750 hrs. Ex united rentals. I did buy it sight unseen but the listing had lots of pictures, a video, a detailed condition report, good feedback and a guaranty that I could return it if not as claimed. It only weighs 3300 lbs so I was able to rent a trailer and drive the 100 miles to retrieve it. It seems pretty much OK. No leaks, controls are real smooth. The only obvious slop is in the bucket quick attach and I suspect that may be mostly an undersized retaining pin.

/ Excavator control patterns
I did not know JCB was different from ISO, the
"international standard". And is Caterpiller different from either?

ISO:
boom is on right joy stick v^
arm is on left joy stick v^

JCB:
boom is on left joy stick v^
arm is on right joy stick v^

Both:
cab slew is on left <>
bucket is on right <>

/ Excavator control patterns #8  
ISO seems more natural to me or maybe it's just because it's the more common setup ?

/ Excavator control patterns #9  
My vote would be for ISO...but then again, I am a CAT man :)

/ Excavator control patterns #10  
Ed;

The TB016 has a pattern switch control that allows you to pick the pattern you want. I have a TB015 and the owner's manual says the same thing exists for it. My only problem is that the manual doesn't describe where the switch is! I just learned the existing pattern which was set for SAE. I practiced in an open field for the first 1/2 hour to get it down. Now it doesn't feel like rubbing your belly and patting your head syndrome anymore. Have fun.

SimS