Chinese built 1-ton plus excavators.

/ Chinese built 1-ton plus excavators. #41  
I noticed some machines don't have side-cutters. Do the little machines need them? Any advice on the welding process?
Most branded mini-excavator buckets and backhoe attachments do not have them.

I don't use any of those bolt-on teeth or side cutters. I suggest welding a plate on the sides of your bucket after removing and tossing the side cutters. You can try welding the cast steel cutters on, but the metallurgy is unknown and the welds may not work.

/ Chinese built 1-ton plus excavators.
Although pictured frequently with cast iron side cutters mine came with simply cut steel plate. Side cutters help best when you have a lot of roots to deal with.

If you do go the welding route be sure to get that paint off the bucket. On my bucket I was surprised to find out how thick and hard to remove it was. The other thing is to get your welding areas pre-heated. Especially if you have cast iron.

/ Chinese built 1-ton plus excavators. #43  
Although pictured frequently with cast iron side cutters mine came with simply cut steel plate. Side cutters help best when you have a lot of roots to deal with.

If you do go the welding route be sure to get that paint off the bucket. On my bucket I was surprised to find out how thick and hard to remove it was. The other thing is to get your welding areas pre-heated. Especially if you have cast iron.
Ha Ha you are definitely right about the paint. I have never seen paint this durable on something from China. If the rest of the machine is half as good as the paint on the bucket, I will be happy!!

/ Chinese built 1-ton plus excavators. #44  
Most branded mini-excavator buckets and backhoe attachments do not have them.

I don't use any of those bolt-on teeth or side cutters. I suggest welding a plate on the sides of your bucket after removing and tossing the side cutters. You can try welding the cast steel cutters on, but the metallurgy is unknown and the welds may not work.
Thanks for the tip. I have cast side cutters so I will pitch them and weld 1/4x2 inch steel on the sides. should I grind a bit of an edge on the side plate b4 welding it on?

/ Chinese built 1-ton plus excavators. #45  
Thanks for the tip. I have cast side cutters so I will pitch them and weld 1/4x2 inch steel on the sides. should I grind a bit of an edge on the side plate b4 welding it on?
You can, but I don't bother. On my backhoe bucket, I found some tapered plow steel at a tractor parts store, and I welded them on. Got the tapered edge without grinding.

I also welded some 1/4" plate on the side panels of my light-duty 4-in-1 bucket.

/ Chinese built 1-ton plus excavators. #46  
You can, but I don't bother. On my backhoe bucket, I found some tapered plow steel at a tractor parts store, and I welded them on. Got the tapered edge without grinding.

I also welded some 1/4" plate on the side panels of my light-duty 4-in-1 bucket.
I saw the pic of the bucket teeth you made and welded on. I am rereading your entire thread. On page 7 now, so gonna take a while. definitely worth the time to read. you have answered most questions about the digger that anyone can have. We have a Rural King here and they have the long skinny curved finger looking things. I have a 3point cultivator that uses the same tines. Bucket mods are in the near future for me!!

/ Chinese built 1-ton plus excavators. #47  
Can someone please verify the accuracy of this label. My agt L12 is SAE according to the label. it is the opposite of what I prefer. I always thought I was using the SAE but if this label is correct then I was raised on ISO.. either way I am going to change it. 21 hours and I cant get used to it so I am switching the hoses. I found the answer on page 10 of dfkrugs thread. 3AA1C5C2-3E3C-47F8-ADC4-2A9B98C5C82E.jpeg so it came from China with SAE and I am changing to ISO. / edit.. I believe this diagram is not accurate. I believe most imported machines are ISO pattern, and I am switching to SAE. I think SAE is dipper on right stick.. ISO is boom on right stick.

Last edited:
   / Chinese built 1-ton plus excavators. #48  
I saw the pic of the bucket teeth you made and welded on. I am rereading your entire thread. On page 7 now, so gonna take a while. definitely worth the time to read. you have answered most questions about the digger that anyone can have. We have a Rural King here and they have the long skinny curved finger looking things. I have a 3point cultivator that uses the same tines. Bucket mods are in the near future for me!!
Glad I can help. If I coulda done some sort of Table of Contents, directing folks to the right page, I woulda done that.

Those rake tines are great. Super tough steel, and cheap. If you can find the small replacement tapered plow blades, those are very useful, too. I got mine from AgriSupply, which has stopped shipping to California.

/ Chinese built 1-ton plus excavators. #49  
Glad I can help. If I coulda done some sort of Table of Contents, directing folks to the right page, I woulda done that.

Those rake tines are great. Super tough steel, and cheap. If you can find the small replacement tapered plow blades, those are very useful, too. I got mine from AgriSupply, which has stopped shipping to California.
Just California… I wonder why?

/ Chinese built 1-ton plus excavators. #50  
Just California… I wonder why?
Proposition 65, the idiotic labeling requirement that there is some part of a product that may cause cancer. AgriSupply does not want to incur the costs. The labels don't say what could cause cancer, but many products commonly sold would require it.