Drawbar pull capability

/ Drawbar pull capability #21  
This is an interesting little video on the Nebraska Test. We just need one of our members to build what they have and we can all meet there for testing. :ROFLMAO:

/ Drawbar pull capability #22  
The test data is useless unless you "hook" to the tractor in the IDENTICAL method.

I can easily change the measured pull of a tractor by 50%,, or more.

That is why the tractor pullers have a requirement for a standardized hitch.

My nephew pulled the front axle out from under a F800 Ford dump truck back in the 1970's
He had the tractor connected to the chain at the top of the quick attach,,
and
he was parked on asphalt.
The front tires were loaded, and there were 2,000 pounds of front end weights on the tractor.

As he started to pull, in low gear, he lifted the 3PH,, the weight shifted onto the tractor,, OOPS!! o_O

Yes, they had the quick attach hitch in the 1970's,,
It looked, and worked identical to the one that HF sells,,
BUT,, it was a LITTLE stouter!! :ROFLMAO:

/ Drawbar pull capability
The test data is useless unless you "hook" to the tractor in the IDENTICAL method.

I can easily change the measured pull of a tractor by 50%,, or more.

That is why the tractor pullers have a requirement for a standardized hitch.

My nephew pulled the front axle out from under a F800 Ford dump truck back in the 1970's
He had the tractor connected to the chain at the top of the quick attach,,
and
he was parked on asphalt.
The front tires were loaded, and there were 2,000 pounds of front end weights on the tractor.

As he started to pull, in low gear, he lifted the 3PH,, the weight shifted onto the tractor,, OOPS!! o_O

Yes, they had the quick attach hitch in the 1970's,,
It looked, and worked identical to the one that HF sells,,
BUT,, it was a LITTLE stouter!! :ROFLMAO:
I didn't know you could change the points of attachment on a drawbar except a little swing to the left or right and between the closer or outter hole in the bar itself in some models. What kind of tractor do you have that has verticle adjustments on the draw bar? I've seen older tractors with a "draw bar" attached to the 3pt hitch.... Is that what you thought of when I said drawbar in the initial post?

And though I said draw bar in the initial post, I didn't say tree until a latter post. So drawbar to tree is what it needs to be.

And again.... Instructions would come with the gauge.

/ Drawbar pull capability #24  
That's true. Tie to a big tree and pull in a gear available in most tractors like 4H
If they're giving the result in HP, I assume the pull test is being done on a moving load, not a fixed load? Horsepower is a product of both speed and force.

Put otherwise, ignoring traction, a 30 hp tractor can pull awful hard in low gear. Maintaining that pull at an acceptable speed, compared to a 60 hp machine, is the limiting factor.

/ Drawbar pull capability #26  
Seems like a waste of time to me, but then wasting time on superfluous things are the norm on here anyway. JMO.
Pot calling the kettle black, 5030! The very act of sitting down to read or type on this forum could be called a waste of time, especially when you're posting on threads like "Will the UAW strike?". We are all guilty! :D

/ Drawbar pull capability #27  
Pot calling the kettle black, 5030! The very act of sitting down to read or type on this forum could be called a waste of time, especially when you're posting on threads like "Will the UAW strike?". We are all guilty! :D
I don't make it a career however. Still on strike btw and I see no end to it as well.

I only post comments on 2 forums, this one and a firearms related forum that actually has a politics related sub forum and believe me, it's quite a lively sub forum. Tractors and firearms for me.

Last edited:
   / Drawbar pull capability
If they're giving the result in HP, I assume the pull test is being done on a moving load, not a fixed load? Horsepower is a product of both speed and force.

Put otherwise, ignoring traction, a 30 hp tractor can pull awful hard in low gear. Maintaining that pull at an acceptable speed, compared to a 60 hp machine, is the limiting factor.
I've only seen raw bar hp on large tractors. Never seen it on the smaller ones, which means there's a space for data to be collected.

For instance, I've never seen a drawbar hp rating on my M9960 nor on my B7500. Thus, I think it's a worthwhile endeavor to find out the pulling force of these "small" tractors.

That data can also be used to help a lot of people in their purchasing decision and drive more traffic to TBN, despite the efforts of certain people consistently peeing in other cheerios and driving people off.

/ Drawbar pull capability #30  
I've only seen raw bar hp on large tractors. Never seen it on the smaller ones, which means there's a space for data to be collected.

For instance, I've never seen a drawbar hp rating on my M9960 nor on my B7500. Thus, I think it's a worthwhile endeavor to find out the pulling force of these "small" tractors.

That data can also be used to help a lot of people in their purchasing decision and drive more traffic to TBN, despite the efforts of certain people consistently peeing in other cheerios and driving people off.

At some point, they have tested just about EVERY size tractor,,
Don't get critical,, they may have testes a b7100, not your B7500
Or it may be a Satoh that had the same HP, and machine weight.

If you look at the Neb tests,, there is almost no difference in results, as long as the machine is similar.
An Allis Chalmers HD 10 pulls very similar to the CAT machine that puts out 100HP,,

You can not beat the laws of physics,,
The tests are actually boring comparing "pull"
you can pull 60 to 75% of the machine weight,, with tires
The CAT D8, D9,, etc can approach 100%, because the tracks act like the machine is "geared" to the track.

The real purpose of the NEB tests is data like HP-HOURS per gallon of fuel.

Tractor buyers did not want to purchase a tractor only to find out it consumed 2X as much fuel as the other color tractor.
Fuel was a major expense,,

The JD 820 (and 830) around 1958 had far superior results in that test evaluation.
Those machines stayed at the top probably until turbos started being used.

OH, they could PULL,, too!!