Drawbar pull capability

/ Drawbar pull capability #31  
I think as long as any tractor you "test" has enough hp to spin the tires, that is going to be where your pulling force gets limited out.

And the most important factors there are going to be tire size and type, 2wd vs. 4wd, ground (soil) type, and tractor weight.

Transmission type will be irrelevant (for draw bar pulling) because even an HST will spin the tires, same as a gear tractor. Regardless of what the "chest thumpers" say about gear tractors, in this particular case (pulling) you will be traction limited.

/ Drawbar pull capability #32  
I think as long as any tractor you "test" has enough hp to spin the tires, that is going to be where your pulling force gets limited out.

And the most important factors there are going to be tire size and type, 2wd vs. 4wd, ground (soil) type, and tractor weight.

Transmission type will be irrelevant (for draw bar pulling) because even an HST will spin the tires, same as a gear tractor. Regardless of what the "chest thumpers" say about gear tractors, in this particular case (pulling) you will be traction limited.
Keep in mind that a lot of tractor pulling work is done on higher ranges that just low range.

The fact that the HST spins tires in low range tells nothing when they barely pull their own weight in high range on the slightest of hills.

/ Drawbar pull capability #33  
Keep in mind that a lot of tractor pulling work is done on higher ranges that just low range.

The fact that the HST spins tires in low range tells nothing when they barely pull their own weight in high range on the slightest of hills.
That is true, but even my little 37 hp engine and HST trans will spin the tires in medium range in 4wd. And mine is certainly not a "big pulling" kind of tractor. And if we're after maximum pulling power above all else (including ground speed) then you're certainly not going to achieve maximum pulling power with your gear tractor in a high gear. A 7000 lb tractor with 4wd and industrial tires (mine) will only pull 'x' amount, regardless of which transmission type it has.

Only thing gears get you is less parasitic loss through the pto. And yes, that is well established. But we're talking about straight pulling power only. All the transmission has to do is deliver the torque to the rear end. If there is enough torque output from the engine to overcome traction, you are "done" and have the same result. Regardless of trans type.

/ Drawbar pull capability #34  
What would it tell you besides much weight is on the rear axle?

With the right gearing, a 20hp 22,000lb tractor will out pull a 200hp 12,000lb tractor all day long (all other things being equal).

/ Drawbar pull capability #35  
I think it would tell you that "pull tests" are useless and arbitrary.

/ Drawbar pull capability #36  

Others countries still use compact tractors for commercial work and you’ll find a better offering of gear transmissions there. Americans don’t use compact tractors for farming or basically any other task in wide spread use where putting the most of your hp to the ground really matters. The convinces of HST far outweighs a slight hp loss. The only real reason Americans still buy geared compact tractors is for cost savings. As a result of cost savings the vast majority of compact tractors have a crude dry clutch and a basic gear box.A HST compact sized tractor will outperform gears in every aspect except pulling a ground engagement implement across a field. And Americans might use their compact tractor to plow their garden for an hour per year but compact tractors aren’t out plowing 100s or really even 1 acre. Compact tractors aren’t on the roadways either. Occasionally people drive them on the road for the sole purpose of moving the tractor itself but nobody pulls heavy trailers on a routine bases with small tractors here.

/ Drawbar pull capability #37  
I think it would tell you that "pull tests" are useless and arbitrary.
I believe they are an excellent measure of pulling power IF they are conducted properly

/ Drawbar pull capability #38  
As fun as testing this kind of thing would be in theory, it has no practical use or meaning.
A 4wd tractor with R1 tires and 4000lb 50hp dont care if its painted red, blue, green or orange. They are gonna pull the same amount.

Two parts of "pulling" is drawbar power, and max pulling force.

As mentioned, for max pull, a wheeled machine can usually be around 70% machine weight. TRACTION is the limiting factor. And with different soil conditions (moist, wet, mud, loose, dry packed, asphalt, etc) and different tires.....way too many variables. So what if someone across the country tests a tractor that can max pull 4000lbs......and you have the exact same tractor and want to pull a log that only requires 3500lbf and you cant move it because you spin. Maybe the ground is uneven, or slight grade, etc. Its not a real useful piece of information. And pretty much ALL tractors have a gear or range low enough to spin the tires. meaning power is never the problem....only traction.

Now drawbar HP.....that can come into play trying to pull something at speed. Alot of tillage equipment dont work well at slower speeds. They like 4-5mph to properly turn soil. So you may have a tractor capable of pulling a given size disc or plow....but simply lacks the power to do it at speed.

This topic comes up alot when people are questioning/comparing a couple of machines....that are the same basic machine but different HP ratings. Like a deere 5055 vs 5075.....or a 'bota MX5400 vs Mx6000, or any one of a dozen other examples I could cite. Too many times people say you will only notice the extra power if you are using the PTO heavy, and that if you are working ground engaging implements that its the weight and you wont notice the power. But that isnt always the case....if you are trying to maintain a certain speed.
If they're giving the result in HP, I assume the pull test is being done on a moving load, not a fixed load? Horsepower is a product of both speed and force.

Put otherwise, ignoring traction, a 30 hp tractor can pull awful hard in low gear. Maintaining that pull at an acceptable speed, compared to a 60 hp machine, is the limiting factor.
Correct. Some old heavy iron @30hp could probably pull a 3-14 plow. but it would be at a snails pace and not do a good job turning the furrow because it simply lacks the power to pull the plow at a fast enough speed
I've only seen raw bar hp on large tractors. Never seen it on the smaller ones, which means there's a space for data to be collected.

For instance, I've never seen a drawbar hp rating on my M9960 nor on my B7500. Thus, I think it's a worthwhile endeavor to find out the pulling force of these "small" tractors.

That data can also be used to help a lot of people in their purchasing decision and drive more traffic to TBN, despite the efforts of certain people consistently peeing in other cheerios and driving people off.
Most people looking at buying a sub-100hp machine isnt gonna care about drawbar HP or max pull. Because they are buying a machine as a general purpose machine or a utility machine. And quite simply.....more engine HP, and more PTO HP....usually means more drawbar HP. And a heavier machine means more max pull. And since all those stats are well published....and there arent any variables to machine weight and PTO power.....its a better baseline for comparison than some arbitrary data collected where ground conditions, tire type, etc all come into play. So compiling a chart as you propose.....while bein fun, would only serve as a comparison tool and not accurate data. And as mentioned, weight and PTO power already serve as a way to accurately compare what tractor is gonna be a better "puller"

/ Drawbar pull capability #39  
Tires, weight, weight distribution. That’s why you can see pickups pulling tractors. My SVL75-2 will pull great on concrete, but will slide backward down my tilt trailer if it’s damp. Driver for my nephew said don’t bother replacing the rim-guard in the Kubota M105S when a tire failed, but now he rarely comes to work because the tractor has no traction.

/ Drawbar pull capability #40  
Some people will just never grasp the basic physics of power versus force.