DPFs, EGRs, DEF, etc...

/ DPFs, EGRs, DEF, etc... #141  
Ok, sounds like fun…Do in line six configurations go into bigger machinery than OTR trucks, even though we aren’t discussing them?
I will do my part to keep it on topic.

I read this 4 times and can't figure out what your asking here.

/ DPFs, EGRs, DEF, etc... #142  
I always felt that the reason that the V-8 engine was not popular in row crop type tractors was simply visibility.

Even the big JD tractors of the late 1970's could put out some massive HP,, with in-line engines.
It is hard to consider the 4630 JD a "row crop",, but, that was its category.

The biggest problem that tractor had as staying a row crop was the fuel tank size.
The hood was so narrow, the tractor only held about 70 gallons of fuel.
I could only run about 6 hours, then the tractor would be almost out of fuel (11 gallons per hour)

The tractor could PTO dyno over 200HP (that was the max of the dyno used to test it)
which was PLENTY of HP for what we used it for.

The 4430 that was also on the farm could dyno beyond factory specification,
but, it could NEVER even consider pulling the equipment the 4630 easily handled.

The hood on the 4630 was easy to see around,
The 10 tractors in the video ALL have the same issue, lack of visibility.

The worst of the bunch (IMHO) is the last one at the end of the video,,
with the two stacks sticking out/up at the VERY FRONT of the tractor.
Who thought that was a good idea??

I would have been convincing someone to change that exhaust,, it is like looking around a wall.

Yeah width visibility is reduced for the operator, but length visibility is improved which is nice for loader work.
My Magnum hood is very long, but doesnt bother me a bit.
1642348218081.jpeg

My loader tractors are 4 cylinder. Nice visibility

1642352522605.jpeg

Last edited:
   / DPFs, EGRs, DEF, etc... #143  
   / DPFs, EGRs, DEF, etc... #144  
I find that really hard to believe. The occurrences of a bottom end going on those are very very rare, especially at 53k. But hey, neat story.
True story. He was stranded in west Texas. I had to go pick him up then take him back to get it after the shop rebuilt the engine.

/ DPFs, EGRs, DEF, etc... #145  
The V-8 was tried in OTR trucks and has been retired for quite some time. Lower fuel economy, more moving parts and packaging under the hood are some of the reasons. In lines make more torque for their displacement and fuel they consume than V-8s in bigger trucks.
In line sixes and some fours probably make up the configuration in 99.5% of trucks bigger than a 5500 today.
Last I checked, both Scalia and Daimler offered V8 engines in their largest trucks for the European and worldwide markets.

The main advantage of a v8 is packaging in cabover trucks. That style truck isn’t popular here for a number of reasons, mostly centered on not much mobility needed here compared to the rest of the world.

A v8 isn’t inherently less fuel efficient or less reliable.

/ DPFs, EGRs, DEF, etc... #146  
Given equal quality of materials, workmanship and maintenance, more moving parts will decrease reliability. V8s have more moving parts.
An inline 6 also has 7 main bearings supporting the crank, the V8 only has 5. So, 6 cylinders with 7 main bearings supporting the crankshaft, vs 8 cylinders with only 5 main bearings supporting the crankshaft. The inline 6 has a much stronger bottom end with much less stress per bearing than the V8. This supports the longer service life and lower costs of an inline 6.

I’m not saying V8s wont work or dont exist, I’m saying 6 cylinder configuration is superior in OTR trucks and and heavy duty AG equipment.

Last edited:
   / DPFs, EGRs, DEF, etc... #147  
Given equal quality of materials, workmanship and maintenance, more moving parts will decrease reliability. V8s have more moving parts.
An inline 6 also has 7 main bearings supporting the crank, the V8 only has 5. So, 6 cylinders with 7 main bearings supporting the crankshaft, vs 8 cylinders with only 5 main bearings supporting the crankshaft. The inline 6 has a much stronger bottom end with much less stress per bearing than the V8. This supports the longer service life and lower costs of an inline 6.

I’m not saying V8s wont work or dont exist, I’m saying 6 cylinder configuration is superior in OTR trucks and and heavy duty AG equipment.
153624 inline firing order. 1/6, 5/2, 3/4 are running mates gives you a balanced engine. Ever looked at a 5 cylinder compared to a 6 cylinder Mercedes running at idle. The 6 just sits there the 5 will shake all over. Small 4 cylinder diesels do the same thing. The inline 6 cylinder gives you a smoother running engine.

/ DPFs, EGRs, DEF, etc... #148  
Spoke to a larger school district they have had to cancel school because of emissions related issues on there school buses. Now that they have it figured how to keep them running they can't get the emissions parts. They are testing Gasoline powered buses. Emissions will be the death of the diesel.