DPFs, EGRs, DEF, etc...

/ DPFs, EGRs, DEF, etc... #11  
The 6.4 isn't necessarily a bad engine it's a power monster, it's just people never maintained them properly. The 6.4 was the first Ford/international/Navistar engine to get the EGR, DPF treatment. Their thinking was to inject diesel fuel into the exhaust stroke on cylinders 7&8 to burn out the DPF. Well when you inject fuel on the exhaust stroke, diesel gets washed down the cylinders and dilutes the oil. Then the diluted oil takes out the top end of the engine from lack of good lubrication.

The 6.4's with OCI around 3k never had the problems.

Their is nothing more powerful than a tuned and deleted 6.4. It will smoke any other diesel now and then.
Scheduled maintenance on powerstrokes 6.4 is very expensive compared to Cummins and Duramax engines. Also the failure rate is much greater. I’ll take a reliable low RPM motor with less hp (but plenty of torque) such as an inline Cummins over a high hp but less reliable and more costly powerstroke. My opinion based on owning Cummins motors and seeing what my power stroke owning relatives have experienced.

/ DPFs, EGRs, DEF, etc... #12  
The 6.4 isn't necessarily a bad engine it's a power monster, it's just people never maintained them properly. The 6.4 was the first Ford/international/Navistar engine to get the EGR, DPF treatment. Their thinking was to inject diesel fuel into the exhaust stroke on cylinders 7&8 to burn out the DPF. Well when you inject fuel on the exhaust stroke, diesel gets washed down the cylinders and dilutes the oil. Then the diluted oil takes out the top end of the engine from lack of good lubrication.

The 6.4's with OCI around 3k never had the problems.

Their is nothing more powerful than a tuned and deleted 6.4. It will smoke any other diesel now and then.

I’d rather ride the slow lane with a 5.9 as ride behind a wrecker with a 6.4.

/ DPFs, EGRs, DEF, etc... #13  
Scheduled maintenance on powerstrokes 6.4 is very expensive compared to Cummins and Duramax engines. Also the failure rate is much greater. I’ll take a reliable low RPM motor with less hp (but plenty of torque) such as an inline Cummins over a high hp but less reliable and more costly powerstroke. My opinion based on owning Cummins motors and seeing what my power stroke owning relatives have experienced.

Oil and diesel filter changes are pretty much a wash between both platforms...where else are the high maintenance costs?

/ DPFs, EGRs, DEF, etc... #14  
I’d rather ride the slow lane with a 5.9 as ride behind a wrecker with a 6.4.

Only people that don't maintain anything ride the wrecker.

/ DPFs, EGRs, DEF, etc... #16  
Best example of blind optimism I've seen in months.
There were a lot of bro dudes that thought just drive them like a gas truck...

/ DPFs, EGRs, DEF, etc... #18  
And an equal number that had them lay down and die because of their shortcomings.

Which they fully deserved for being ignorant.

/ DPFs, EGRs, DEF, etc... #19  
Which they fully deserved for being ignorant.
What is that supposed to mean? They were ignorant for buying a 6.4 to begin with?
It's ok to be a fanboy, but don't tell be they are reliable when maintained when mechanical failures are well documented.
Your claim that maintenance costs are comparable with other diesels may be technically correct on a per service basis, but when YOU claim the ODI needs to be 3000 miles that kind of throws the comparable cost argument right in the toilet.

/ DPFs, EGRs, DEF, etc... #20  
What is that supposed to mean? They were ignorant for buying a 6.4 to begin with?
It's ok to be a fanboy, but don't tell be they are reliable when maintained when mechanical failures are well documented.
Your claim that maintenance costs are comparable with other diesels may be technically correct on a per service basis, but when YOU claim the ODI needs to be 3000 miles that kind of throws the comparable cost argument right in the toilet.

Mechanical failure are due to lack of maintenance. The valve train is the exact same on a 6.0, I have never heard of those going. If oil changes break the bank...go gas.

The diluted oil is the only variable here. Which makes the logic here pretty simple.