Clearing Snow Off An Open Station

/ Clearing Snow Off An Open Station #31  
Using ANY open station tractor for snow removal is purely a self inflicted injury thing. I'm not that nuts. I like heat and comfort.
Meh. Not going to pay almost $3k for something that's more bother than it's worth 9 months out of the year. My driveway's only a couple hundred feet, I can handle the cold for the amount of time it takes to clear it.

Mine usually lives in the garage in the winter, but if I make sure to flip the seat up, it supports a tarp well enough.

/ Clearing Snow Off An Open Station #32  
I had my M4700 in Virginia for a while.

Attachments

• 8x6SAM_0875.jpg
    8x6SAM_0875.jpg
    518.1 KB · Views: 120
I placed "rails" going down from the canopy to the loader arms and put a tarp over the top. fastened mostly with 1/4" rope. Made like a small tent. That way the snow and ice was relatively easy to slide off.
Moving to Mississippi into a 20x50x15H shed solved the problem.

/ Clearing Snow Off An Open Station #33  
Using ANY open station tractor for snow removal is purely a self inflicted injury thing. I'm not that nuts. I like heat and comfort.
There are ways to prevent the wrath of mother nature without having to enclose yourself in glass! I have been known to ride a motorcycle in all types of weather, and do it without issue. Instead of paying $3000. plus for a cab, why not just buy a set of 12volt clothing and run it off the tractor? That can be accomplished for about $300! I would assume that even with the glass, you still have to bundle up? I drove a forklift for years, and cold hands/feet were a part of the job. I acquired a small heater core, put it in a box, added a 12v fan and plumbed it into the forklifts coolant system. It blew hot air over my feet, and if my hands got cold, I could reach down and warm them. Such a device would probably help if properly positioned around the operators station.
Granted I am from Florida and have NEVER done any snow removal at all, not ever! Even when I do encounter in during my travels, removal isn't my issue!
David from jax

/ Clearing Snow Off An Open Station #34  
I do it every storm... including the one we have now. I work outside all week anyways and as long as you have the proper clothing it isn't bad. Much better than mowing on a sunny 85' day...

/ Clearing Snow Off An Open Station #35  
I do it every storm... including the one we have now. I work outside all week anyways and as long as you have the proper clothing it isn't bad. Much better than mowing on a sunny 85' day...
I guess but I'm not about to do it anyway.

/ Clearing Snow Off An Open Station #36  
I've done both for a great many years, snow with no cab bundled up snow down my neck,
mowed in 85+ temperatures with high humidity.
Dang, was I ever glad when the farm got cabbed tractors with AC for summer work and heat for the winter work.
Kicked myself in the butt more then once for waiting as long as I did before getting my cabbed tractor for snow
and summer use.

/ Clearing Snow Off An Open Station #37  
Having previously owned an open station I second the oversized canvas tarp. Chicago Tarps are top notch and well worth the money spent. In that regard, so are cabbed stations (during both hot and cold days).
In the event I have a project going on in my barn, and/or don’t want to open the overhead door (letting all the heat out while I’m working), I will cover up the front end of my cabbed tractor as well. Granted it’s not completely necessary, but it takes less time for things to warm it up the next time I use it. I’m still using the same canvas tarp for my tractor implements that I have been using for almost ten years. During the winter and into spring, I will often throw a cheap tarp over top of the canvas one, as it’s easier for snow removal, and helps to keep the canvas tarp “dry”.
Regardless of which route you take, ensure to let things warm up as @rScotty mentioned above.

/ Clearing Snow Off An Open Station
If it has not already been said, you should add Power Service diesel fuel supplement (white bottle) to prevent fuel gelling.

Congrats on your new rig!
Yeah, I've got the black K100 in all my fuel. And thanks man, she's such a monster. I have GOT to add a rear work light though.

To all the people recommending a permanent shelter I think I've settled on fixing up my old carriage barn. The loft is rotted and it needs a new roof but structurally it's 100%. It's got old growth rough cut mortise and tenon construction with lag bolts. The walls are dry and the supports are huge. It's older than living memory.

Attachments

• PXL_20210927_123453942.jpg
    PXL_20210927_123453942.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 124
  • PXL_20210927_134732438.jpg
    PXL_20210927_134732438.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 124
  • PXL_20210927_134602681.jpg
    PXL_20210927_134602681.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 119
   / Clearing Snow Off An Open Station #39  
I've used a tarp from the hood to the rear 3-point for 20+ years. Getting it around the ROPS can be challenging sometime. The snow we had earlier this week was a pain, but the tarp kept the tractor dry in the important areas. I put a 5-galloon bucket upside down on the seat to keep the tarp from sagging. The tarp only covers about 8-10 inches down on each side so I don't have the issue of condensation in the cab area.

/ Clearing Snow Off An Open Station #40  
Yeah, I've got the black K100 in all my fuel. And thanks man, she's such a monster. I have GOT to add a rear work light though.

To all the people recommending a permanent shelter I think I've settled on fixing up my old carriage barn. The loft is rotted and it needs a new roof but structurally it's 100%. It's got old growth rough cut mortise and tenon construction with lag bolts. The walls are dry and the supports are huge. It's older than living memory.
1641583559329.png
They tend to come in handy and are definitely one of my favorite add ons!