Bh77 vs mini excavator / excavator size

/ Bh77 vs mini excavator / excavator size #1  

Kapster

Tractor
Grillo g107d
Hey all,

I decided last fall I could really use a backhoe/mini ex for a bunch of projects around my property. Renting is complicated due to the frequent but short time I would need to dig, figured I would sell when i'm done or decide i cant live without it. These projects include:
*Dig up poles to repair with perma columns on a 32x64 barn
*install French drain around barn (one side built into a hill)
*trenching underground power to house
*replacing several culverts
*trenching upgraded power to pole barn
*Lots of grading and fixing drainage areas around pole barn / dealing with whatever I find buried (lots of old buulding remains)

I started out thinking adding a BH77 to my Kubota L2501 but read on here that a mini ex is far superior.

Next I looked at 2 ton machines -kubota u17, takeuchi tb216 and deere 17g but was concerned with the capability of these, used prices seemed obtainable; I've seen several 17g's around 22k with a thumb and three buckets under 1000 hrs.

Next I started considering 3 ton machines. Currently trying to talk myself into a deere 26g, really like the machine but finding once you buy a decent one and add buckets and a thumb your pushing high 20k prices, which I'm struggling to justify to myself.

Would I be disappointed with the smaller 2 ton machine for these types of projects or is the 3 ton worth the extra cost? Or even go back to my original plan and add a BH77 to the kubota?

Last edited:
   / Bh77 vs mini excavator / excavator size #2  
A Deere 26 is more like 3 tons. That size excavator would work circles around the tractor backhoe. And if you decide it’s not for you it could easily be sold off. Selling a tractor backhoe without the tractor isn’t as easy. I have a Kubota 40 which is bigger than those machines but the excavator is no doubt what I would do.

/ Bh77 vs mini excavator / excavator size
Thank you for mentioning that 4570Man. I edited my post, it wasn't very clear talking 2 ton and 3 ton.

/ Bh77 vs mini excavator / excavator size #4  
Thank you for mentioning that 4570Man. I edited my post, it wasn't very clear talking 2 ton and 3 ton.

My 40 is really no comparison at all to a tractor backhoe. It’s vastly more productive. I had to rent a 1 ton baby digger to drive through a small opening once. I think even that machine would compete well against a tractor backhoe. It’s probably not as powerful but it makes up a lot of productivity with 360 swing and not messing around with changing seats to move around. I’ve never actually used a mini excavator in between the sizes of my 40 and the 1 ton rental but I feel extremely confident that the 27 Deere would outperform the BH77.

/ Bh77 vs mini excavator / excavator size #5  
Not apples to apples. But i just picked up one of those chinese 1tons to replace my tractors backhoe. I should have done it from the get go. It dosnt have quite the power of the backhoe, but it makes up for it in terms of speed and ease of use

So it sounds like even a 1 ton is fairly capable and can be more efficient then a backhoe. If I go with a 1.7 size I should be happy... I hope.

/ Bh77 vs mini excavator / excavator size #7  
I love my 1ton. Biggest thing that holds it back is the hydraulics are stronger than what the machine weighs. I need to add a counter weight

/ Bh77 vs mini excavator / excavator size #8  
One thing to consider is that a "tractor backhoe" moves as fast as your tractor. It reads like your usage is all really close to one area, so that shouldn't be a problem.

I love my 1ton. Biggest thing that holds it back is the hydraulics are stronger than what the machine weighs. I need to add a counter weight
What is your Chinese mini ex (what "brand")?
One thing to consider is that a "tractor backhoe" moves as fast as your tractor. It reads like your usage is all really close to one area, so that shouldn't be a problem.
Yes all my work is fairly close so not a big deal there.

/ Bh77 vs mini excavator / excavator size #10  
First note....when it comes to mini-excavators they typically follow a "class"
17....1.7 metric tons. Approx 3800 lbs
26/27 class....2.7 metric tons Approx 6000 lbs
35 class.....3.5 metric tons Approx 7000lbs
50 class....5.0 metric tons....Approx 11000lbs

Get the trend.

Now look at some specs. The BH77:
Bucket digging power.....3421lbs
Arm digging power.........2190lbs
Reach..........................12'6"

17-class mini
.......................U17.............Takeuchi 216
Bucket power....3417lbs............4250lbs
Arm power........1918lbs............1850lbs
reach................12'6"..............13'6"

As you can see....basically the BH77 is a 17-class capable machine but mounted to a tractor. Obviously the ex has the advantage because it can swing 360", you sit in one seat for positioning, you are always looking at the bucket and not turning your neck, and hydraulically are about twice as fast at all movements.

An excavator is going to be WAY more productive in terms of speed. in terms of ability....about equal. Meaning that if the BH77 cant lift a rock, or tear through a given root....neither will a 17-class machine.

Stepping up to a 26/27 class machine
26g specs (since thats what you mentioned)
Bucket force.....5000lbs
Arm force .......3400lbs
Reach.............15.5'

Going to a 35 class machine like a deere 35g
Bucket force....6000lbs
Arm force.......4200lbs
Reach............17ft

35 is about twice as big as a 17.....likewise has about twice the power.

Honestly, if you use your tractor for other 3PH stuff....Id consider a mini-excavator. While not difficult....swapping the backhoe on and off is about an hour ordeal for someone that does it infrequently. And as affordable as a used 17-class is, and can always resell....not a bad deal