mini excavator stability?

/ mini excavator stability? #21  
Not a great expert but have a 10,000 pound unit that have put many hours on the last year. Wear seat belt at all times, saves headache. Experience.
As to running sideways on slope, look in the manual, mine shows the degree you are safe to and it was more than I expected. Much of my work has been done around pond and on the hills of dirt from the pond. I was on it Saturday I know at least 45 degrees but straight on. If I am digging into such I back up it and then use the blade to level the machine. On my machine it lifts more over the rear than the front as the blade gives it more counter weight. Have rubber tracks and so far no issues with them coming off and have been in loose dirt, firm dirt, grass and mud. But don't run hog wild either.

I found my manuals to be worth a lot on handling grades.

/ mini excavator stability? #22  
read his posts, lol, that will answer your question. injecting humor.

/ mini excavator stability?
Thanks for your comments.

Your comment about the pond reminded me of one contractor whose operator pull a full sized Cat into a pond. Even had water in the engine. I had forgotten about that until you mentioned ponds. :)

Ken

Not a great expert but have a 10,000 pound unit that have put many hours on the last year. Wear seat belt at all times, saves headache. Experience.
As to running sideways on slope, look in the manual, mine shows the degree you are safe to and it was more than I expected. Much of my work has been done around pond and on the hills of dirt from the pond. I was on it Saturday I know at least 45 degrees but straight on. If I am digging into such I back up it and then use the blade to level the machine. On my machine it lifts more over the rear than the front as the blade gives it more counter weight. Have rubber tracks and so far no issues with them coming off and have been in loose dirt, firm dirt, grass and mud. But don't run hog wild either.

I found my manuals to be worth a lot on handling grades.

/ mini excavator stability? #24  
Thanks for all the responses, they've been helpful.

I wasn't aware of rubber tracks coming off! That sounds challenging to fix if you're back in the woods on a hillside. :( Yes, I think the steel tracks with rubber inserts might be better but I haven't seen those on the units for sale.

I understand the stability issue when you are digging. I was worrying more about tipping over sideways while traveling forward over uneven ground. We have 128 acres here and only about 3 acres is flat! My B21 makes me nervous that way, even working sideways on our driveway while cleaning out mudslides. (Maybe the B21 is more stable than I give it credit for, but I like to be conservative and safe:) )

Yes, I've started thinking about the KX-121 although that would mean a heavier trailer if I want to transport it. But the 121 does sound nice and I really like the idea of the swing blade on it for grading.

Thanks again for all the responses.

Ken
southern Ohio

Oh Sh*t!!!! rubber tracks are a dream to put on, even in the muddle comparing to steel tracks. Have you ever pulled a steel track off a Cat D6 in the mud? Now thats not fun, took us nearly a full day to get it back on.

Thanks for all the input folks. I'm picking up a KX-121-3 (took the advice for the bigger unit) next Wednesday to rent for a couple of weeks. It looks in real good shape (500 hours). If it works out as I hope, I probably buy it.

I'm looking forward to it.

Ken

/ mini excavator stability? #26  
I have a Takeuchi 135, previous to that I had a Takeuchi 025, previous to that I rented for 2 years. Kubota 121, 91, Bobcat 125? and a few others.

I bought my Tak with rubber tracks. After tearing a rubber track at 1200 hours, I bought a used set of steel tracks. Much better for durability, but hard riding and when they come off, they come off. Rubber is easy to maintain, but if you're in ledge, sharp rocks or stumps, steel will last better. Rubber is 1/2 the price to replace, though.

Make sure you get a thumb. No point in even having a small machine w/o one.

I had a quick coupler added, built a scarifier bucket, a HD digging bucket, a hydro tilt clean-up bucket and a ripper tooth to it. For finish work and bailing material, the hydro tilt 3' clean-up bucket is king. I use that more than anything else. The scarifier bucket is next. Can be used for regular digging, but with a little shake, rocks can be sorted.

My machine will travel on any slope, but I've been in and around excavators for 20+ years. I take it into places where I need the boom to pull myself up/down. Once you get comfortable, you'll find that it will go places most machines will never go. The boom makes for a handy way to climb around steep areas.

Good luck, try several machines and see what fits your needs. Here's a couple pics.

Attachments

• 1307709852_l.jpg
    1307709852_l.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 520
  • Andy%20Anderson%206-13%2614-07%20003re.jpg
    Andy%20Anderson%206-13%2614-07%20003re.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 642
   / mini excavator stability? #27  
I think testing out a 121 is a great choice. They're very stable machines and are very powerful. Kubota makes a wonderful product. There are steel tracks with rubber inserts available. This guy's Deere 35D has steel tracks with rubber pads.

Attachments

• steel tracks.JPG
    steel tracks.JPG
    162.7 KB · Views: 513
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    249.9 KB · Views: 483
  • Picture 012.jpg
    Picture 012.jpg
    282.1 KB · Views: 463
  • cop4.JPG
    cop4.JPG
    330.8 KB · Views: 406
I think testing out a 121 is a great choice. They're very stable machines and are very powerful. Kubota makes a wonderful product. There are steel tracks with rubber inserts available. This guy's Deere 35D has steel tracks with rubber pads.

I'm looking forward to it, I get it Wednesday :) Thanks for the comments and pictures.

Yes, I've heard about the rubber tracks with inserts. What is the pros and cons to that approach? From one comment I've heard, the steel tracks are about twice the cost. I doubt that I'll wear out two sets of rubber tracks.

Ken

/ mini excavator stability? #29  
Yeah steel tracks will be more but they don't flex like rubber tracks and they're much better to have on rough terrain. The guy that has those tracks I posted says he'll never go back to rubber. He has yet to take the inserts off (from what I know of), but it works for him. He has a US mower attachment for his mini so he's on some steep terrain and rough terrain at times. If you don't have very aggressive terrain then rubber will be fine.