grubbing with mini excavator

/ grubbing with mini excavator #11  
That's way too much work for a mini excavator , it , or you will be worn out by the time you get done . A flail mower on a tractor would have that looking like lawn in one day . I only had these 3 photos on my putor . The two taken in the same spot were taken on the same day . The rear shot just shows how wide the cut is . It will cut material ,like yours , as tall as the tractor and 8' wide at about 1 mile per hour . Sounds slow but when you look at a swathe a mile long and 8' wide after an hour , it's pretty impressive . If you can't get one yourself , i would hire the job out . I would charge about 2K for what i can see and leave it looking like my photos . I'm sure someone over there would do the same . If you take into account the wear and tear on your digger , the amount of fuel you will burn , not to mention the time factor , it would be cheaper to have it done .

Thanks AKfish .

/ grubbing with mini excavator
That is exactly the park-like setting I'm after. When it comes to economics, I would certainly agree that it would be cheaper to have it done - but fortunately I never studied economics!
Last year I hired out about 10 ac of clearing. They did it with a bulldozer and the results were close to yours but with more ground damage. Looks like the flail mower would do the trick.
I have a bush hog but I find it complains bitterly in anything over 1" and I have acres of the larger stuff. I also have quite a bit of terrain that I just can't ride over with my tractor.
How does a flail mower compare to a bush hog in terms of clearing ability?
...really appreciate all this input from everyone...

/ grubbing with mini excavator #13  
That is exactly the park-like setting I'm after. When it comes to economics, I would certainly agree that it would be cheaper to have it done - but fortunately I never studied economics!
Last year I hired out about 10 ac of clearing. They did it with a bulldozer and the results were close to yours but with more ground damage. Looks like the flail mower would do the trick.
I have a bush hog but I find it complains bitterly in anything over 1" and I have acres of the larger stuff. I also have quite a bit of terrain that I just can't ride over with my tractor.
How does a flail mower compare to a bush hog in terms of clearing ability?
...really appreciate all this input from everyone...

I don't have any experience with flail mowers. Most of what I've learned about them is here on TBN from posts from Iron Horse and IslandTractor. They seem to be an ideal "compromise" mower between the rough cut capabilities of the bush hog mower and the finish mower.

But, I haven't heard anyone claim they'll handle 3"-4" brush. I think if you've got heavier brush than say 1"-2" - you need to look at a good HD brush hog type mower.

LandPride, Woods, and others make some pretty stout mowers. They're real heavy and take some real PTO HP to run. The older model John Deere 509, 609, 709 are heavy duty and the 6' - 609 is recommended for a 60-70hp tractor.

Several of the rental outlets here have the HD mowers available for $150-$200 for an 8hr rental.

AKfish

/ grubbing with mini excavator #14  
Get someone in there with a mulcher and it will all be gone, will look better than the flail mower and cost alot less when you figure your time etc.

That all makes perfect sense. Heavy duty version of a bush hog on a tough tractor as per AKfish, or the ultimate dream of a FECON as per WsC or the pro approach of Iron Horse with a custom-built arsenal of tools.
I could hire it out - but just where the heck is the fun in that? :)

So, if I pull out the stuff that is too big for my cutter with my mini-x and then rotary-cut the rest with my existing medium duty cutter I could get the job done. I would however have fields of stumps to trip over and then watch the brush grow back in a month.

Question remains though - how to get rid of all the left over stumps? (don't forget my bias towards my new mini-x!) Would a root rake do this?

I have also heard of a FEL tool called a brush brute with specialized V teeth that gets driven into the stocks of brush then lifted - roots and all. I would bet that a mini-x custom tool like this would do a nice job pulling up the small stuff for areas I can't get to with my bush hog.

/ grubbing with mini excavator #16  
I would however have fields of stumps to trip over and then watch the brush grow back in a month.

Question remains though - how to get rid of all the left over stumps? (don't forget my bias towards my new mini-x!) Would a root rake do this?

This will get 'em up out of the ground - Land Pride Scarifiers

And your landscape rake will attach at the rear of the scarifier. I've never tried to hook my rake up to it, though.

There's always quite a bit of dirt and root balls in the mix; so, I've always just let 'em sit on the surface for a while to dry out and then burn 'em in a pile.

I've got the 77" model and it pulls just fine behind my JD 110TLB.

AKfish

Thanks AKfish. My box scraper has scarifiers that I'll set low and give it a shot.
Thanks again for all the help everyone - much appreciated.

/ grubbing with mini excavator #18  
Ive just found a better picture of the rake i built . Not only can you use the swirl method , but also a simple raking motion . With larger trees , i used to push them over with the top back edge of the rake . Once down i would hook onto the bottom of the trunk and lift up . The weight of the tree would act as a counter balance and the roots would let go before the tree tried to stand back up (i use a slightly different method now:D). The tree can then be picked up with the rake by driving along it's length to it's middle and lifting with the rake . It can be then swung around to a burn pile . If your soil is not rocky , you may find it easier and better to use a rotary hoe on your tractor to turn all the small stuff into the soil once the larger trees are taken out .

That is one nice looking rake. As duplication is a sincere form of flattery :D, would I be far off thinking that the tool is about 24" wide, tines about 20" long, each tine is about 1" wide and there is about 3" of gap between each?
I found a local shop that can help me build one to my specs, I mean, maybe your specs :eek: All of the commercially available rakes I have found seem to have very large gaps between the tines and I'm suspecting that having more tines & therefore less gap between them like yours is the ticket.

/ grubbing with mini excavator #20  
Feel free to copy it , your dimensions would be correct . I have since sold it so can't check . It really was a handy tool , it could also dig a hole , grub out rocks and backfill root ball holes left after the tree was removed . Check out Ebay for 12E Cat scarrifier tynes , they have replaceable boots so your not wearing the tynes down .