Best Snowplow for Tractor?

/ Best Snowplow for Tractor? #1  

Sierraau

Bronze Member
Tractor
2002 Kioti DK50C
you guys are a great resource and I thought I would put it out there.... has anyone compared skid steer-mounted snowplows for FELS? As far as a particular design is best a rolling the snow off the blade? I have a WR Long plow (as that is the brand my local dealer sells) and I am not too impressed. That being said my neighbor who owned the tractor before me, actually bent the driver's side of the plow using it as a bulldozer blade. I'd like to find a plow that is higher than 18" and is best designed to "throw snow" higher than 18" at a decent plowing speed of roughly 5-10mph. I am running a DK50C Kioti. Exploring my options.

/ Best Snowplow for Tractor? #2  
The speed you toss the snow is proportional to the angle you set the blade in the top view. Mine is a former truck plow that has been frame mounted and now is on a JD Hook & Pin QA loader mount. The frame mount is best for tight spaces but the drawback is the time it takes to mount it (usually the night before a major snow storm). The frame mount also had downforce so I could break up ice and snow drifts in both directions.

When I had a gravel driveway (800' of it) my technique was to use mushroom type skid shoes set about 1/2 inch down to keep the steel scraper blade from pushing the stone off to the side. Before the snow season started, I would 'plow' the driveway stone flat so that I got a nice smooth roadway in both directions.

I added a thick rubber strip to mine instead of the scraper blade after I went from gravel to concrete. The QA mount now benefited from a Summit electric 3rd function momentary diverter valve to get a change in angle/direction.

I have 4wd and loaded R4 tires and have never had a traction or steering problem. Now, the plow is raised using a chain instead of a hard link, but the downforce could be improve with added weights on the plow.

My single stalk loader control valve has a lockout pin so I set the arm height and get plow 'up & down' with the lateral curl direction with the angle button mounted on the side of the stalk.
I was concerned that the added distance from blade to front wheels would make it harder to steer and push the tractor around when at high angles, but this has not turned out to be a problem at all. Besides, I can spin the whole rig completely around using the separate left & right brake pedals.
I also apply a silicon spray to the blade face which keeps any density of snow from accumulating. Meanwhile, if the road commission is not around (like on a non-school day) I can do my road in high gear at whatever angle seems to work out. A lesser angle gives my neighbors a wider path to follow me with !!!.

Last edited:
   / Best Snowplow for Tractor? #3  
Last edited:
   / Best Snowplow for Tractor? #4  
Around my area lot tractor owners with plow use Fisher HD plow for many years.

/ Best Snowplow for Tractor? #5  
I run an 8’ Artic on my smaller tractor. Has skid steer QA mount plate. Has worked well and made me money for many years.

1675341368701.jpeg

I just sold this tractor. Still have the Arctic 8’-6” plow. Love the plastic moldboard and galvanized frame.
Buyer is allowing me to keep tractor until snowplowing season is over (mid march). I will probably go to a front 3 point mounted snow plow to pull the plow in closer to the tractor. The loader mount does have some advantages (being able to stack snow higher).

Below: I just set up one of my larger farm tractors with a front 3 point snowplow. Its a Western Heavyweight 10’. It makes the tractor feel more like a truck because plow is closer to front of tractor and the visibility is increased.

1675341832732.jpeg

/ Best Snowplow for Tractor? #6  
Don’t get me started on Delks snowplows.
Europeans are very lucky to have them and I want one!

1675342487691.jpeg

/ Best Snowplow for Tractor? #8  
I would want one that floats along the road surface with just it's own weight like a truck plow setup. Having to use the loader float is often a problem of too much weight. Some setups you can go either way and that is good when you need more pressure.

gg

/ Best Snowplow for Tractor? #9  
They should all float, whether it’s a loader or a front 3 point. At least mine do….

Being able to have down pressure is great for packed/driven over snow. Customers appreciate the cleaner job.

If the loader makes the plow too heavy for you you could install a plastic cutting edge.

/ Best Snowplow for Tractor? #10  
My first FEL plow was an old 8' Western blade off a wrecked pickup. I welded the A frame to an SSQA plate and used the 3rd function valve to control the angle cylinders. Rugged to be sure but the blade wasn't quite high enough to bank snow the way I wanted. I solved the problem by adding a deflector which folds up when the blade is loaded with snow and raises the effective height by 3 or 4".

IMG_1211b.jpg

I used it for many years until I traded the tractor. I now use an 8' Land Pride plow with the same type deflector.