Battery powered chainsaw

/ Battery powered chainsaw #781  
So you are saying what we have now is exactly right. That Dewalt optimizes for their tools. Milwaukee optimizes for their tools, EGo optimizes for theirs, Stil optimizes, etc.
Considering everyone's got 2Ah, 3Ah, 4Ah of the same voltage... and these are intended to go in any of a hundred tools... it's pretty obvious that the batteries aren't optimized for a particular tool.

The group 24 vs 78 is basically just like the 2Ah/4Ah/etc; you "optimize" so that a geo metro gets a small battery because a mouse can turn over a 1.0L engine while a 7.3L needs a bit more, so you choose a different stand size for that vehicle.

We all know this; the only reason Milwaukee has a different battery than Ryobi is lock-in.

Ironically, automotive batteries are standardized for the convenience of the auto manufacturer, not as much for the consumer, who's going to buy one battery for precisely one application (except the random TBN'er who's going to re-use that battery in four different machines before it's really dead, of course); for battery tools, we swap them all the time and it would be convenient for both the tool manufacturer (minus the customer lock-in of course) as well as the consumer for them to be more standardized.

I'd imagine at some point the EU will get around to this.

/ Battery powered chainsaw #782  
Tree guy feedback on the M18 he used on the job.

I did prune an entire job with the m18 hatchet 4 big trailerloads of tree prunings I went thru three batteries 6AH. I'd put a charger in cab it charges before I can run out of battery so I think it's awesome .I hate to think how much Tru fuel I've bought not knowing .it's the hatchet only that has me impressed I'm testing playing .working me ass off
I also have the M18 Chainsaw but always reach for the hatchet. I also have the Ryobi 40v pole chainsaw and that also works better than I expected.

/ Battery powered chainsaw #783  
I detest "peak HP"
particularly on corded equipment, it's basically saying "while it's rapidly slowing down we very briefly saw 4HP but at 13A you'll be lucky to get 1.5HP continuous"

(not a dig on op here - I see that on a lot of my own equipment as well, we all (hopefully) just know not to pay it any attention)
I detest "peak HP"
particularly on corded equipment, it's basically saying "while it's rapidly slowing down we very briefly saw 4HP but at 13A you'll be lucky to get 1.5HP continuous"

(not a dig on op here - I see that on a lot of my own equipment as well, we all (hopefully) just know not to pay it any attention)
Actually, they find peak horsepower using the rpm X torque equation, but instead of using simultaneous values, they use stalled rotor torque and peak free spinning rpm.

/ Battery powered chainsaw #784  
“Battery saw makers” don’t invent battery technology. They buy batteries from suppliers. Can only use what is offered for sale to them.
There is some difference in the charge circuits, and the temperature limit circuits, between higher end companies batteries. As well as higher quality battery cells, and buss bars connecting those cells.

/ Battery powered chainsaw #785  
Actually, they find peak horsepower using the rpm X torque equation, but instead of using simultaneous values, they use stalled rotor torque and peak free spinning rpm.
So I guess the question is whether it's theoretically possible for a universal motor to pull stall current at anywhere near full RPM? I know this is not possible in an induction motor, but I suspect it might be possible in a universal motor, as they're essentially operating under unchanging field constraint (they're DC motors, and operating as such even under AC). Not my area of study, so I don't know for sure.

If it is possible for the motor to pull stall current near rated RPM, even momentarily under the right conditions, then it's a valid measure of peak horsepower. I'm an EE but not a "motors guy", so I don't know enough on the subject to say if this is true or false, off the top of my head.

/ Battery powered chainsaw #786  
I can take along my inverter generator and charge 24 batteries on 2.5 gallons of fuel... Which is about what I'd burn in fuel with my gas saw 😂. I could charge more, if I had more charges and batteries... But I don't

/ Battery powered chainsaw #787  
I don't think there will ever be a universal battery for all chainsaws, tools, etc. there is too much difference in tool designs, motors used to have one battery fit all and still keep the products design and still do what it is supposed to do. It would be nice to have batteries from one company be interchangeable with others but different companies have different tools with different power requirements

/ Battery powered chainsaw #788  
I don't think there will ever be a universal battery for all chainsaws, tools, etc. there is too much difference in tool designs, motors used to have one battery fit all and still keep the products design and still do what it is supposed to do. It would be nice to have batteries from one company be interchangeable with others but different companies have different tools with different power requirements

I don't know why that, a common design, can't be done. Car batteries, watch batteries, and flashlight batteries all have a common design, shape and fit.

It's not for the government to do, it has to come from the battery manufacturers themselves. This will only happen when consumers push for this.

Imagine having to buy a Sony charger for your player, and another different charger for your cell phone and yet another different charger for your bluetooth devices.

Standardizing batteries will make reduce the cost of them.

Richard

/ Battery powered chainsaw #789  
The companies have no incentive to standardize batteries. It would just make it too easy to buy someone else's gear.

/ Battery powered chainsaw #790  
Lots of variety outside voltage and physical dimensions with auto batteries especially over the years...

Chemistry... cold cranking, post or no post, etc.