Battery powered chainsaw

/ Battery powered chainsaw #681  
I find that the battery saws are not any heavier than the near equivalent gas chainsaws. Depends on the brand I suppose in some cases it might not be true.

/ Battery powered chainsaw #682  
Think someone mentioned the battery saw weights were with batt installed and b+c attached?

If that is true then totally understand why they show so heavy.
That was me. Yes, of course pro gas saws are all power head only, no bar, no fuel. The older (1990-2010) 50-70cc variants run about 1.6 to 1.8 kg/kW, with newer EFI saws sometimes running even lighter than that.

The battery saws from Greenworks list their weight with a 4Ah battery, even though they sometimes give performance spec’s with a 6Ah battery. They do not state whether the given weights are with or without bar, but since they are sold pre-packaged with a bar, it seems reasonable to assume the weights might be with bar installed.

Either way, even if battery saw weights are with bar, that’s not nearly enough to close the gap.

I find that the battery saws are not any heavier than the near equivalent gas chainsaws. Depends on the brand I suppose in some cases it might not be true.
Let’s look at hard numbers: The Greenworks 82CS34 has power (2.9 kW) comparable to any 55cc saw, comes with a 20” bar, and is listed at 7.8 kg, which might include weight of the bar. Stihl 20” Rolomatic ES sprocket nose bars run right around 1.3 kg in standard weight or 0.9 kg in lightweight variant. But 55cc gassers will run around 5.0 kg without bar, so we’re looking at 5.9 to 6.3 kg, depending on 20” bar type. Fill it with 14 - 16 oz. of fuel mix, and you’re adding another 0.35 kg, so perhaps 6.25 - 6.65 kg at full tank.

If the Greenworks numbers indeed include the bar (not clear), and if you only use the 4Ah batter (never upgrade to 6Ah), then the Greenworks saw is 25% - 32% heavier than a comparable Stihl gasser with an ES Light bar. If the Greenworks numbers do not include the bar, or if you upgrade to the 6Ah battery they actually used in the article that started this conversation, then the gap widens further.

/ Battery powered chainsaw #683  
My 88 goes from 22lbs 6oz PHO dry to 32lbs 11oz full of mix and oil and 36" b+c.

g888weight36fulll.jpg

/ Battery powered chainsaw #684  
My 88 goes from 22lbs 6oz PHO dry to 32lbs 11oz full of mix and oil and 36" b+c.

View attachment 834579
You say your saw holds 10.3 lb of fuel and oil? That’s 1.7 gallons, based on most fuel/oil mixes running about 6 lb/gal! The 088 had big tanks, but nowhere near that big. Or was first weight without b&c? If so, what size and type bar?

Either way, we’re not talking about monster milling saws. The Greenworks saws are all 2-3 kW only. Even the “big” pre-release one that started this conversation was only 4 kW, whereas the 088 was something like 6.3 kW, more than double the saws used in the comparison above. It was basically a dirtbike engine with a bar and chain bolted to it. :LOL:

Last edited:
   / Battery powered chainsaw #685  
You say your saw holds 10.3 lb of fuel and oil? That’s 1.7 gallons, based on most fuel/oil mixes running about 6 lb/gal! The 088 had big tanks, but nowhere near that big. Get your scale checked.
Wow ok here I go again. Like I said in post. 🤦‍♂️ :rolleyes: 😂;)🤷‍♂️:ROFLMAO:

First weight is PHO dry like OEM saws weigh them.

2nd weight is as used. Full of mix and oil plus the 36" b+c.

Dang just read my post it is all there first time.

/ Battery powered chainsaw #686  
Actually, a magsafe connection to a battery worn as a belt or backpack sounds like an excellent idea. Not only for chainsaws, but also string trimmers, leaf blowers, edgers, and several other OPE's.
I would have serious doubts about the benefit of such a connection. To be short enough to act as a safety if dropping the saw it would be way to short to allow reaching up to trim limbs and such.
It would be handy as a way to keep the weight of the battery of the saw or other tool.

/ Battery powered chainsaw #687  
Wow ok here I go again. Like I said in post. 🤦‍♂️ :ROFLMAO:

First weight is PHO dry like OEM saws weigh them.

2nd weight is as used. Full of mix and oil plus the 36" b+c.

Dang just read my post it is all there first time.
No. You didn’t say first weight was without bar and chain, and you also didn’t say what size bar. We were comparing 20” saws of half that power, so this is completely irrelevant, even if you had been clear about it.

/ Battery powered chainsaw #688  
No. You didn’t say first weight was without bar and chain, and you also didn’t say what size bar. We were comparing 20” saws of half that power, so this is completely irrelevant.
Yes it does. ;) PHO

/ Battery powered chainsaw #690  
Yes it does. ;) PHO
Got it. Sorry about that. Missed “pho”.

But again, the 088 is a huge 6.3 kW milling saw, way outside the range of the little 2-3 kW / 20“ saws Greenworks is selling. Is there any battery saw on the market that actually competes with the 084/088?

<— briefly owned an 084