Backhoe vs Tractor with backhoe

/ Backhoe vs Tractor with backhoe #51  
This is a little confusing to me. How are you differentiating between a tractor and a TLB? I have a John Deere excavator which is a tracked backhoe and a Century TLB tractor. The TLB has a loader on the front and a Backhoe on the back. Since I got the excavator, I haven't used the Backhoe on the back of my TLB.

/ Backhoe vs Tractor with backhoe #52  
It depends on your usage. I have 60 acres, mid-size tractor with many different attachments including a 3pt backhoe. I don't dig many holes but when I do it is very nice to have available. I converted my 3pt to Pat's quick hitch, so putting it on and off isn't a big deal. Also, I converted my FEL to skid steer quick disconnect so I can put many things on there also. Good luck!

/ Backhoe vs Tractor with backhoe #53  
Silly question, but here it goes.

Which would be most ideal for a 6 acre property with long driveway, mature trees, snow removal, and making and maintaining a small veggie garden. A midsize backhoe with loader or a midsize tractor with backhoe and loader?

/ Backhoe vs Tractor with backhoe #54  
Friend advised me "I own a 200 acres and wouldn't buy one...rent it the handful of times you need one...way better to get other attachments you will use"...he was 100% right. They're 30%+ cost of most compact tractors and I might/could have used it a few times, but not anything I regularly need and a PIA to R&R.

My 2 cents...save your money...I have 15 acres of woods and it's not necessary for me. I would add pallet forks or a "Bucketeer" (I have a Bucketeer) as a "poor man's grapple"...most useful attachment I have. Way cheaper than a real grapple and easier to switch to...no third function, etc...with 6 acres? Unless you're digging trenches for the next decade likely not a good investment.

IMG_3749.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3750.jpeg
    IMG_3750.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 52
  • IMG_3751.jpeg
    IMG_3751.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 56
   / Backhoe vs Tractor with backhoe #55  

Which would be most ideal for a 6 acre property with long driveway, mature trees, snow removal, and making and maintaining a small veggie garden. A midsize backhoe with loader or a midsize tractor with backhoe and loader?
I am running a horse farm on 40 acres, using a couple of Deere 955’s for snow blowing, loader for manure/ gardening, backhoe for trenching. I have dug three electrical trenches ( about 500’ )total) five similar length drainage ditches and several tree stump removals. I have not used my backhoe in the garden yet (15 years). I have used the loader a lot. My local Deere dealership recommends renting a backhoe whenever you have a project rather than have one sitting around. If you are dead set on a backhoe then nothing I’ve said here will matter. But I would spend the backhoe money on a reliable irrigation system for the garden.

/ Backhoe vs Tractor with backhoe #56  

I bought a new backhoe for my CUT with a frame mount several years ago.
It works for my needs, as I usually do all the digging when I put it on. Compared to a TLB, it is slower, has to move more due to shorter reach and does require a little effort to take on & off.
I have installed 2 septic tanks and field lines, 1000+’ of water line and several hundred yards of ditching for drainage.
For the same money, a buddy bought a old TLB and made fun of my “toy” for several years until I noticed it hadn’t moved in a while. He confessed the upkeep and repairs to keep it running almost broke the bank.
I use it for backhoe needs 4-5 times every year since 2014. I didn’t want to upkeep a machine for that little amount of use.

Attachments

• IMG_0361.jpeg
    IMG_0361.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 45
   / Backhoe vs Tractor with backhoe #57  

I would go with around 35-45 Ag Tractor with backhoe and FEL, if you only foresee occasional small digging jobs.
With the PTO on an AG tractor you can use a variety of implements, like snow blower, 3 point mower, post digger, grading blade, rototiller, cultivator, mulcher etc. many of which could be very useful, if not necessary on 6 acres. Note that these backhoes are best suited to dig simple small jobs like a trench for pipes or cleaning a ditch and things like that

You do need to consider some things carefully though.
If you are planning to do a lot of digging you might end up frustrated with a few things. First the reach of the boom is about 8ft on these tractor backhoes and mostly 180 degrees rotations. So if you have to dig a narrow trench 4ft deep, say with a 12inch bucket, you will likely run out of space to dispose of the excavated material.
That always has been my issue with the one I had. (1999 NH TC33 Boomer)
When you select models you need to make sure to get one that has a sub-frame and with quick and easy installation procedure. On mine (with a sub-frame) installing or removing was a 5 minutes tool-less job (after some practice). Only 2 pins to install and the hoses to connect.
That becomes extremely important if you want to be able to use your other implements painlessly.
Typically I would have my backhoe on just for digging jobs and had a weight box on the 3-point for when the backhoe was off, as it is safer to use the FEL with a counterweight when the backhoe isn't on.
In hindsight though, (hindsight is 20/20) I would have gone with an Ag tractor with FEL without backhoe and used the backhoe money to get a mini excavator. Like 2-3 tons with rubber tracks and a blade.
That would leave your PTO and 3-points hitch free on the Ag tractor and a mini excavator of that size will outperform all small tractors backhoes. The fact that it can dump the material around a 360 circle is a huge difference.

/ Backhoe vs Tractor with backhoe #58  
I had a 2019 25hp compact LS with a full frame backhoe, not the little bitty tractor but the average sized kne. while it was ok for chores like digging up the septic lids or a hole for planting a tree I didn't find it useful for much else as it just didn't have the power a regular backhoe has. I tried to trench with it onetime and it just couldn't handle the rocky soil or tree roots like the one at work could.

Attachments

• 20191011_222445.jpg
    20191011_222445.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 52
   / Backhoe vs Tractor with backhoe #59  

I have 10 acres. I have a JD3032E with a backhoe attachment. It handles everything I need. Would it be great to have a stronger backhoe? Yes. But the tractor fits my needs better. I use the backhoe at least once a month. If you don’t plan on using the backhoe that much I would opt for the tractor. It is more versatile. Taking the backhoe takes about 7 minutes by yourself.

/ Backhoe vs Tractor with backhoe #60  

I went through this myself. I originally bought a jcb mini cx. I soon realized I needed a three point with pto so I could get into the huge number of tools/implements that are available. I bought a Kubota L3901 and a bunch of 3 point accessories but kept the jcb because I had less money in that than a back hoe would cost for the L3901.
Anyway it isn’t often that I have to dig so I will probably sell the JCB and when I do need to dig just rent a purpose built machine. Trenchers are much better for digging a line for conduit or water pipe and excavator are much better for digging if you need to put in a foundation, retaining walls etc. either of those two can be rented for about $250/day in my area. The back hoe option for my Kubota was over $10k and isn’t easily switched over since you must remove the 3pt hitch.
So my advice having gone through this is get a tractor with fel and 3pt and rent when needed.