55" grapple build

/ 55" grapple build #11  
Grapple looks great!
Is that a Certiflat table? Do you like it?

/ 55" grapple build
Same guy that cut the grapple, cut the table for me as well.
I love it. Makes clamping and squaring up assemblies so easy. I just have a terrible habit of laying crap on every horizontal surface.

/ 55" grapple build #13  
Thank you for sharing. Lot of us try to modify, repair and innovate our equipment to meet our needs. Materials and fabrication equipment certainly has changed and improved attachments. Operating a tractor in the woods needs several modifications. Any special procedure for welding AR400?

/ 55" grapple build
Not an expert by any means, but my understanding is that its pretty standard up to 1/2 thickness. These thinner plates can be welded at room temp without preheating. The biggest thing as far as I'm aware is you want the welds to cool slowly.

/ 55" grapple build #15  
We had a pretty bad hurricane blow across our island last fall. My property sustained quite a lot of tree damage. Thought I could use tractor to help out with the clean up.
So I modeled up a grapple and had a buddy cut it out on his plasma table.
I'm sure it will be clear from where I drew my inspiration from (i.e. robbed, it looked like the best out there.)
I used 1/4 AR400F for the majority of it and spent a few hours this weekend and got the lower jaw mostly complete. View attachment 804184
looks great so far. I am wondering why you didnt put any lightning holes in the lower jaws.

/ 55" grapple build
looks great so far. I am wondering why you didnt put any lightning holes in the lower jaws.
Mostly oversight. As I was watching the parts being cut, I said to myself "I meant to put speed holes in those bottom tines."

/ 55" grapple build #17  
Thanks tradosaurus, Pleasantly surprised at how well its coming out.

The AR400 was $900 and I've probably got 1/4 sheet left over. (oops I mean I have a stump bucket left over.)
Plasma cutting, my buddy did the for free.
Cylinders $200
Tube and sch80 pipe $140
Grade 8 bolts $6
I used some drops I had kicking around to turn bushings and pins.
6lb of wire and a small tank of c25 gas
$1021 (canadian) total so far.
That doesn't include the diverter valve and various hoses and fittings
The 55" grapple from EA is $2400. Not sure if it would be worth it for me to do it myself (if I had the tools and the skill). The plasma cutting would add a few hundred $$ to the price if you had to pay for it.
55" Grapple

/ 55" grapple build
Yeah. 2400$ is 3000$ Canadian. I’m in for just over 1000$ I’m happy saving just under 2000$ besides that I enjoy it.

/ 55" grapple build #19  
I’m self employed now days. I find a ton of value in building my own things always. I was a machinist for years. I have a mill and lathe at home. As someone stated time is worth something. It is indeed, but I value my federal I owe you notes in my bank more then some spare time. Awesome fab work !

/ 55" grapple build #20  
Mostly oversight. As I was watching the parts being cut, I said to myself "I meant to put speed holes in those bottom tines."
😂 Always hate when that happens.