Shipping container with side doors for storage

/ Shipping container with side doors for storage #1  

marhar

Gold Member
Tractor
Farm Trac 60
I keep thinking about buying a container. If you were to buy one what would you place it on? That is, would you have gravel underneath it and how high off the ground would you set the container? What would be best to use as a ramp to access the opening on the end?

I have thought about putting an attic fan on the top with a few vents on the side. I am thinking I could back the tractor to the side doors and detach it. (it is easier to attach when the implement is higher than the tractor).

I know some folks leave implements outside but I want the container nice enough to have a chainsaw and other tools in it,

Any advice is appreciated.

/ Shipping container with side doors for storage #3  
I've watching there prices in the Midwest and seems they haven't came down much. :confused:

/ Shipping container with side doors for storage #4  
Those containers are butt ugly, but they certainly are a quick fix for getting enclosed storage. I find the door locking mechanism is a hassle to deal with. Since what I store does not need such level of protection, I plan to cut off the door locking system and just put on a couple handles with a simpler padlock. Also, the door bottom is below the floor (~1.5"?) and the bottom of the latching mechanism is below the door bottom. Therefore, you need to keep the ground under the door swing at least four inches lower than the floor if you keep the locking mechanism in place. This is only a concern if you are storing items with smaller wheels and a bit of weight. I have to use a board as a ramp for many items.

Ventilation is a challenge. Use caution if putting an attic fan into the roof, since it will likely leak. A side mounted unit will be easier to keep rain out of the container. If you don't have electric, a smaller solar-powered fan might be another way. Just be sure to cut in a vent on the opposite side for cross ventilation.

I see many have placed these containers right on the ground. That seems like a bad idea. Clean gravel will work (thick enough to stay gravel and not let the dirt work its way back up and into it over the years). Or railroad ties. However, any foundation not supported from below frost line will heave and move a little each year and could be well out of level over time.

Modification for openings will require a lot of drudgery with a metal cutting saw. A torch will be faster or plasma cutter.

You can drag the container around if needed, but they are very heavy. If you don't have a good size tractor, you will not be able to lift them onto a foundation. I think around 5,000# empty? I can check if you want. My 40 Hp tractor with FEL could not lift one end. I had to use my much larger skid steer.

I put four of these containers in a row. I will be putting a roof over them to make the set look like a regular building (did I say how ugly they are?). And then painting to match. One is for household storage, second for all my lumber, third for 4x8 sheets of plywood, etc. and all my various metal. Fourth for motorcycles and other play toys.

/ Shipping container with side doors for storage #5  
I keep thinking about buying a container. If you were to buy one what would you place it on? That is, would you have gravel underneath it and how high off the ground would you set the container? What would be best to use as a ramp to access the opening on the end?

I have thought about putting an attic fan on the top with a few vents on the side. I am thinking I could back the tractor to the side doors and detach it. (it is easier to attach when the implement is higher than the tractor).
I know some folks leave implements outside but I want the container nice enough to have a chainsaw and other tools in it,

Any advice is appreciated.

Attachments

• shed_tractor.jpg
    shed_tractor.jpg
    445.3 KB · Views: 1,149

What about a carport for your implements?

/ Shipping container with side doors for storage #7  
If you just need a simple shelter, the carport idea is about the cheapest. What I use for implements is similar to what tradosaurus pictured except:

• It has a shed roof - the front is higher than the back
    • this makes for cheaper construction by only building a flat sloping roof, sloping toward the back and giving a higher entrance opening
  • The bays are 10' x 20'
    • 10' wide seems to be enough for most cars, tractors and implements
    • 20' is deep enough for cars. It can be shallower if needed. (The typical parking lot space is ~10' x 20')
  • I shoot for 9' tall opening to clear the ROPS. Sloping to 7' in back.
  • You can build one or two 10'x20' bays and then add on over the years as budget allows or need occurs.
  • You don't have to put on sides, but having three sides enclosed really helps keep out the wind and rain.
  • Support posts can be 4x4's, but I like to use 6x6's on the front (because I'm not the most careful driver and often bump into those front supports when backing in).
    • Old utility poles also work well. Or cedar posts if you have lots of cedar trees and want to find a use for them!
  • For a 10'x20' bay, you can put in support posts on 10' centers. This gives a middle support post for the roof rafters.
  • Using 10' centers, roof rafters can be 10' - 2x6's if you don't have a big snow load to deal with. I put the rafters on 24" centers and then lay 2x4's across as purlins for a metal roof.
Hope all this makes sense. I would send a picture, but just moved to a new place and am planning to start building this design sometime in the summer.

/ Shipping container with side doors for storage #8  
I will also add that shipping containers are very ugly. My wife would HATE it! Also they are only 8' wide outside to outside that is way to narrow.

/ Shipping container with side doors for storage #9  
Containers have their benefits. I bought a one use container... looked new in and out. It is clean and dry, water tight, and secure. They do get really hot inside here when left exposed to the sun. So I started building a roof over it. The project grew and I ended up with this below. We store electronic inventory in it, it has industrial shelving on all sides in side. Very clean and secure. Neighbor has 2 spaced 12-16 ft apart with a flat roof over both and the tractor parked in the center.

Attachments

• Capture 16.JPG
    Capture 16.JPG
    340.5 KB · Views: 137
  • Capture 444.JPG
    Capture 444.JPG
    234.8 KB · Views: 135
   / Shipping container with side doors for storage #10  
I've watching there prices in the Midwest and seems they haven't came down much. :confused:
This is what I noticed also. Preccovid a WWT 20' was $2700. Now $3700. That's more than a 10x16 shed and it dosnt look terrible like a container.

For refrence I'm about 5hrs from the port in NJ.