ATV/Riding Mower bridge using materials laying around...request thoughts

/ ATV/Riding Mower bridge using materials laying around...request thoughts #21  
If you are asking me that question, I have two.

DSC01058.JPG

20170227_142908 (1280x720).jpg

/ ATV/Riding Mower bridge using materials laying around...request thoughts
I like doorman63's suggestion of utility poles. They'll support a lot of weight, and will likely outlast you before they rot, unlike the fir.
As far as center support (should you go that route), how big is the stream at its highest? A strong current or high level is going to put a lot of stress on those supports unless they're well anchored.
For the center of the stream and possible supports, the water will not go much higher than the picture. I picked this spot because the water will rarely even get close to the bridge itself and usually will be halfway or less up to the bridge itself.

/ ATV/Riding Mower bridge using materials laying around...request thoughts
Any thoughts on painting roof coating (asphalt based) on the fir beams to help them last longer?

/ ATV/Riding Mower bridge using materials laying around...request thoughts #25  
An inverted king post bridge design will add strength, even if the post is 1 foot. More is better if you can keep it out of the water.

inverted king post bridge.jpg

Bruce

/ ATV/Riding Mower bridge using materials laying around...request thoughts #26  
An inverted king post bridge design will add strength, even if the post is 1 foot. More is better if you can keep it out of the water.

View attachment 783249

Bruce
I’ve considered doing something similar with 1/4 or 3/8 aircraft cable and 2 short pieces of tube steel if the bounce is too much. I have most of the materials on hand.
I know you can buy everything at Rural King/Farm and Fleet/etc

/ ATV/Riding Mower bridge using materials laying around...request thoughts #27  
Used an old tank as a culvert over a seasonal creek bridging a ravine on my up north property. I found tank in the woods cut both ends off it left a few inches around the ends of plates to add rigidity I think I posted a picture of it when I towed it up north, anyways worked great driving ATVs snowmobiles and a sxs over until my stubborn confidence took over and I partially crushed in the side when I attempted to drive my 10k lb skid steer over it.

/ ATV/Riding Mower bridge using materials laying around...request thoughts #28  
A good design feature is to have weak bridges narrow enough to keep heavy vehicles off them.

Bruce

/ ATV/Riding Mower bridge using materials laying around...request thoughts #29  
A good design feature is to have weak bridges narrow enough to keep heavy vehicles off them.

Bruce
Yep. That was my thoughts with my "ATV" bridge. A Jeep or tractor won't fit on it. Same with Doorman's design.

/ ATV/Riding Mower bridge using materials laying around...request thoughts #30  
Yep. That was my thoughts with my "ATV" bridge. A Jeep or tractor won't fit on it. Same with Doorman's design.
My next one is gonna be for vehicles…..I have all of the steel tubes/angle iron. Most of the 3x4 decking. May not run the Kubota over it…….